Lubricating adjustable razors?

Hi,

Rather than intrude on someone else's thread, I've decided to start my own.

I have a Fatboy which has a very stiff and squeaky TTO mechanism, so much so I worry I going break it (if I haven't already!). Where do you get mineral oil from in the UK? Asda? Tesco? B&Q? Are there any brands anyone recommends? Is Johnsons baby oil a mineral oil?!!

Regarding method of lubricating, what's best, immerse the whole razor? Or just put a few drops somewhere?

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Antdad. I tried putting a few drops of Johnson's baby oil at the bottom of the handle, but it just sat there! The same happened I tried putting some in the hole at the top, and there was no change in the razor, that's why I decided that I needed expert advice. :)

Thanks Omp, they sell clippers in Boots, i'll see if I can get the oil from there. Any advice on how to lubricate it?

The idea of dunking it is appealing but I don't want to use the whole bottle in one go!

If you have access ro an ultrasonic cleaner I'd suggest giving it a few runs through with your choice of cleaner. Par of the problem, I'd suggest, is an accumulation of dried soap and gunk which has built up through the years and solidified around the mechanism. This is impeding the operation of the moving parts and preventing the lubricant getting to where it needs to be. If you can't get to an ultrasonic ( a friendly local jeweller once helped me out and refused the offer of payment ) I'd think you would do better with a shallow bath of penetrating oil sitting in a container of hot water. Leave overnight then try working it loose. After all this then the baby or clipper oil as recmmended.

JohnnyO. o/

Thanks for the advice about ultrasonic cleaners, I have been thinking about getting one, Argos have one for £20, however my wife barely tolerates my razor collecting as it is (and at least razors are small enough to hide in a bedside table drawer) I shudder to think what would happen if she spots something the size of toaster suddenly appearing in her kitchen! :D

Thanks for the advice about ultrasonic cleaners, I have been thinking about getting one, Argos have one for £20, however my wife barely tolerates my razor collecting as it is (and at least razors are small enough to hide in a bedside table drawer) I shudder to think what would happen if she spots something the size of toaster suddenly appearing in her kitchen! :D

Start buying her some jewellery & assure her the cleaner comes as part of the package. See, this wet shavng lark is a great way to save cash ! There you go, sorted.

JohnnyO. o/

Start buying her some jewellery & assure her the cleaner comes as part of the package. See, this wet shavng lark is a great way to save cash ! There you go, sorted.

JohnnyO. o/
The ultrasonic cleaner will also come in handy to get her jewellery sparkling clean... and they can be much smaller than a toaster...

I use Asda's version of 3 in 1 oil, cheap as chips and works well. I open the razor up and sit it in it's head then fill up the bottom of the handle and leave it for a few hours (overnight ?) remember to put it on some kitchen towel to catch any oil drips. The oil the hole where the red spring is and again soak from the top of the razor.

Thanks Omp, they sell clippers in Boots, i'll see if I can get the oil from there. Any advice on how to lubricate it?

The idea of dunking it is appealing but I don't want to use the whole bottle in one go!
I've only gone for the dunk if the mechanism is jammed. A few drops in all of the available orifices and lots of twisting does the trick.
I've found that an ultrasonic is good for lots of razors but doesn't really deal with the enclosed muck in an adjustable.

Purely as preventative maintenance, I soaked all my adjustable and TTO razors in baby oil overnight a few weeks back.
I was pleasantly surprised at the improved smoothness of operation for the total cost of £1.29

I decided what the hell, poured half a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil into a cereal bowl and as a result my slim and my fatboy have been soaking for the last 15 minutes. I'm not sure how long they'll get, the kitchen is a busy place on boxing day!

Based on sites I've read before the baby oil, soak it over night in hot water and Dawn or similar good quality dish soap. Then rinise in really hot water. This will loosen the crud (soap) build up over the years on the inside of the razor. This is really what's (normally) causing the problem. Then a few drops of baby oil. I tried it on my Red Tip and Slim. It works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom