Looking at a DSLR thoughts please?

I'm retiring from my first job in a few months and will thereafter be working part time as a self employed dog walker. As such I will have a lot more free time and be out and about on nice walks. I have always had an interest in photography and would like to buy a DSLR. I currently have a Panasonic DMC-TZ10 which has served me well but I would like to upgrade to something that will bring wildlife closer to me with a longer lens. I've read a host of reviews and would welcome your thoughts on this bundle I've found....

https://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID2072C5/google?gclid=CMzAr_3Uw8oCFckaGwod4YwJmQ

Also what are your thoughts on "grey" models, ie not UK market? I'm aware that there would be warranty issues but most if not all the better priced sellers, and I'm assuming the above link is the same, are cheaper.

I know it's a basic camera but with the lens combination I think it would do what I require.

Happy to look at alternative suggestions..........

Or would I be better getting the Nikon D5300 with 18-55 mm lens and getting a longer lens at a later date? I can get a grey import D5300 for roughly the same price as a UK D3300

You could widen your options and look at a Pentax. Very often overlooked and scorned for not being a trendy camera and having the audacity of not being Canon/Nikon). Prices are cheaper if you compare specs and you won't get that plasticy toy camera feel that you might otherwise get. SRS Microsystems have a good range.
For a first SLR (any brand) I'd recommend you get a second-hand one that's slightly out of date so the price is a fraction of the new price. Get an SLR body (probably find one with the kit lens) and then when you understand the camera a little more you could look for new lenses.
SLR stuff can be a money pit so do your research and try to think what kind of photography you want to do. You mentioned wildlife and walks, so that could be wideangle for scenery or telephoto for animals. If you're going the telephoto route you'll probably want a tripod. Don't skimp on tripod quality; a good tripod should last a lifetime and outlive many SLRs.

Take a look at some Digital Rev TV videos on YouTube for some advise in general about real use of cameras and have a few laughs at the same time.

Budget is the key thing.
I think the same way as fancontroller.
I have done the same with razors.
I try stuff out cheap and aim to go better when you know what you like and dislike. Theloss is much smaller on resale.
I have had a Pentax myself for years. A K100D. Pretty cheap now. I have taken smashing pics with it.
You might want to go a step up from that to get more MP.
As fancontroller says, they are a cheaper option.
I am looking to upgrade a bit now that I know what I want.

A good thing about Pentax is that you can use lenses from the beginning of time with them. The fit is still the same.
It gives you a chance to muck about and work out what you like and want.

I think these days it is quite difficult to buy a poor DSLR. You can make good savings getting something that is recently discontinued. The main thing is to balance budget and intended use. If you are mainly wanting to take it out on walks then one of the Panasonic or Olympus m43 cameras could save a lot in size and weight with no real loss of quality. If you want to use more extreme wide angle or telephoto lenses DSLRs might be better.

Does it have to be a DSLR?

Fuji have some cracking mirrorless cameras with fantastic sensors, and really good lenses. Nice and small too.

XT1
XT10
XPRO1
XE2

Pick a flavour that suits. They're all belters.

Be very, very careful. I started with the Nikon D7100 and the 18mm-200mm telephoto. I have now acquired the 50mm dx lens, a 60mm micro lens, tripod, macro rail, speedlite 910, ringflash, polarizer filters, IR filters, remote shutter release, battery grip, extension tubes, etc., etc., etc. And I have still not taken a photograph worth printing.

And if I keep following the forum's suggestions I'll fall into the razor/soap/cream trap, too!

Does it have to be a DSLR?

Fuji have some cracking mirrorless cameras with fantastic sensors, and really good lenses. Nice and small too.

XT1
XT10
XPRO1
XE2

Pick a flavour that suits. They're all belters.
X-Pro1 cameras will be dropping like a stone in price, as the X-Pro2 is announced and will be available this month (February 2016).
I am true to my X100T, which is a different type of camera, but my next buy will likely be an X-Pro2 and a lens or three to suit.

X-Pro1 cameras will be dropping like a stone in price, as the X-Pro2 is announced and will be available this month (February 2016).
I am true to my X100T, which is a different type of camera, but my next buy will likely be an X-Pro2 and a lens or three to suit.

Yes indeed, there have already been a few cracking offers as they clear out the older models but there are bound to be more.

The XE-1 is a cracking camera too (a friend of mine takes pictures for a living and swears by his) and could be had for peanuts when it was on offer.

I'd not seen the Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless so I did a quick google. Interesting camera, I've got to say though it's ugly (sorry to say) and weirdly retro. I mean, a screw-in shutter release cable! - we've had IR remote control shutter releases for years, why go back?
I'm interested to know why if you're going to have an optical viewfinder and use lenses almost the same size as DSLRs' why not buy a DSLR? I know the camera body is smaller but stick a standard lens on it and it's not too far off a DSLR size.

I'm not against mirrorless cameras, I have a Panasonic Lumix GF6 which has most of the features of a modern DSLR (apart from no optical viewfinder) and full manual control in a smaller size. I don't see the point of retro. It is more convenient than a DSLR but I'm looking to get a smaller sized lens to make it much smaller.

I don't mean to offend any Fuji camera fans I am just interested to know your experience of it.

and here's an informative and funny comparison video:

One of the biggest reasons people like the Fuji's is because of the sensor. The Xpro1, XE-1 (and XE-2 I think) and XM-1 use the same APS-C sized Fuji sensor, and it's a real gem apparently. The lenses are also excellent quality (even by pro standards).

Most of the pros who made the switch did so based on IQ alone and the pro photographer I mentioned earlier uses his Fuji for shooting everything except sports (where he uses a Nikon DSLR).

The cable release is handy because the batteries last forever, but you can always use the Fuji app on a smartphone to control the camera remotely (on some models at least).

Other than size, another advantage of mirrorless is they're much quieter than DSLRs because there's no mirrorbox to flap around, and all of this can help the subject feel more at ease (we've all been at a family get together when uncle Bob terrorises everyone with his hulking new DSLR, right? And everyone in the pictures has that "omg :confused:" look. :D). The quietness may also mean that you can take pictures you wouldn't be able to with a noisy DSLR. For example, I took a picture completely silently with my little X10 during my cousin's classical guitar recital (where you could hear a pin drop). The official photographer with a DSLR had to wait until the encore and didn't get a very good shot of him playing.

Many people find the controls are more intuitive too - I had no idea how useful I'd find the dedicated exposure comp wheel. It's just so much easier and quicker to use than my Canon DSLR, it's almost invisible in my hands - like it isn't even there. I find I take more pictures and spend less time fiddling, and concentrate more on what's happening around me rather than the camera.

I agree the looks are subjective. Fuji's X range of cameras all have the retro look about them and having used plasticy, rounded DSLRs for quite a few years, personally I quite like the return to solid, angular metal. I always liked the classic rangefinder look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom