Leather Belts

About once every 14 years I'm in the market for a leather belt – it's not often I'll admit and here's why. I got wasted one night on holiday in Padstow with a saddle maker - I threw at him a line from the film Fight Club "We'll wear leather clothing that will last us all our lives" and asked him if it could be done - is it possible to make leather clothing that will last a lifetime? He said it was - the sizing / stitching skills are available but the leather may not - leather is shaved and thinned into layers these days and you need to get your hands on the raw cut - right off the animal.
The best quality, most original leather, is found in horse riding tackle - particularly saddles - the following day we made two belts together in his workshop for me - one black - one brown - to my exact specification.
They are perfect to this day and I've worn either of them almost every day since then - I've handed them onto Child No 2 who has coveted them for a while as I have 2 replacements.
The guy in Padstow has ceased trading - there's only the faintest internet footprint of him from about 2002 so I knew I had to look elsewhere - after some research I settled on a chap in San Antonio, US and trades as Saddleback Leather who makes a lot of excellent leather wares and his corporate motto ( I kid you not ) is "They'll fight over it when you're dead". His belts are again tailored to your exact specification.
The belts arrived yesterday - they are epic - more robust than anything I have ever had before - the black one is just over 7mm thick leather, a single piece cast buckle for strength, it is so stiff it'll take about a year to wear in properly - but for me they are fantastic replacements.
Photo attached

Ratty
[attachment=7661]

Attachments

• New Belts.JPG
    New Belts.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 136
Cool! You've inspired me. I like a nice belt but even some of the expensive designer name belts last barely a year before they start to deteriorate where the buckle holes are so I'm interested in your experience here. May I ask ... What did they charge you for postage to the uk, and how long did the order take?

Nice when you find something like that.

I have worn the same leather belt for over 20 years and I reckon it's still got 20 more years in it yet.

Herbert1804 said:
Cool! You've inspired me. I like a nice belt but even some of the expensive designer name belts last barely a year before they start to deteriorate where the buckle holes are so I'm interested in your experience here. May I ask ... What did they charge you for postage to the uk, and how long did the order take?

Herbert for the two belts the postage was $53.31 BUT HMRC got their hands on it and I had another £42 or so to pay to get them out of the depot. All in all a costly exercise - however the old adage "Buy cheaply and buy twice carries some real weight here - I seriously think these could be heirlooms!

Ratty

I bought mine from disse outdoor gear ( custom made) took about a week plus delivery. Freight to Europe was $25.

Great leather belt solid as a rock. Check them out if you wish.

gonna grab an officers belt from here soon..for under £12 its worth a punt

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm

I have a feeling another collecting phase is under way. Bought another Elliot Rhodes belt last week. They now have three London shops and one in Tokyo. A trip to the shop in Covent Garden is a must for an aspiring collector. Ten years on my first acquisitions are still going strong. Now I'm set for regular visits - will make a change from collecting bells, radios, telephones, flags and shaving brushes.

For work (suits) I'm a braces man but I do have a Tanner Bates Dartington belt for weekends - cut from the hide and 3.5mm thick, 1.5" wide. If truth be told, I find the buckle a bit clunky and the belt still needs wearing in (I reckon I could use it as a strop) but at £55 it looks like a steal compared to the Elliot Rhodes offerings :eek:
Aspinal also do belts made from bridle leather. I've never owned one but I have some of their other products, which I rate highly - supple and hardwearing ...

Last edited:
I got a hand made one from a chap on British Blades, which unfortunately is no more so I can't tell you who or how much as I'm a forgetful old so and so. I'll see if I can dig through my emails, it's a good thick veggie tanned leather and is now suitably worn in but still going strong.

They make Elliot Rhodes look like M&S. But ER have luxurious small shops. And a large variety of belts and buckles are superbly displayed and are there to see, feel and touch before you make your choice. Or just leave after a pleasant stay.

Great post. As someone who can and has made extra tough, heavy leather belts, I am always on the lookout for the thickest blanks I can find. It is often very difficult as I cannot buy an entire hide, butt, half butt or whatever as the cost for me is prohibitive. However, I got myself a 6mm thick dark brown, dyed-through buffalo leather blank that is as tough as anything I've ever seen or handled and hopefully I'll get a chance to do it justice over the winter. Here's one I made for a friend a few years ago. Leather was 5mm thick when I started:

6263036804_6ea17f4268_o.jpg

6263037038_9300bcbae2_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom