Learning to straight shave

I've just had my first attempt a shaving with a straight razor. I prepared my face as I would for a DE shave then made just two strokes with my straight razor, WTG on from sideburn to jaw line right side WTG then the rest of the same cheek. The feeling is entirely different to a DE razor, more dragging, but there were whiskers in the soap when I wiped it onto a damp sponge. I continued the rest of the shave with a DE razor. I made a better job on the left cheek with the DE razor than I did on the right with the straight, but it's early days. I was cautious with the blade angle, maybe too cautious. I Stropped the razor five times on the canvas and five times on the leather, after the shave, the guy who supplied the razor said I shouldn't strop it before it's first use. I feel I need to work on this, less pressure I think will help me control the blade.
As I said early days we'll see how it goes.
BTW this is where I got the razor.
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/zy-straight-razors-review.42538/

Firstly - congrats! It does take some cajones to shave with a straight razor, but once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what was so daunting in the first place! I've, personally, found that a shallower angle than you'd expect works for straight razors. See how you get on varying the angle next time. As long as you're using little-to-no pressure you'll be fine for this trial and error aspect of SR shaving.

I've had some cracking results from razors honed by our own @Fergiebilly. He's keen to say 'don't strop before first use' because, from my understanding, it's going to give you an idea what a properly honed/stropped razor should feel like. It's quite easy to dull a blade with a strop if you're not careful. Take it slow to start and focus on getting the razor nice and flat to the strop, and again no pressure whatsoever. You're leading with the spine and the less pressure you put on the cutting edge, the better.

Atop this, I'd say there's no real need for canvas stropping at this stage. Canvas is a coarser medium than leather, so it's going to help refresh a slightly dulled blade. Stick with the leather for now and aim for a minimum of 30 strops each way. That'll really keep the edge nice and clean and keen.

In short; once you get the angle right you're laughing. Take care stropping, no need for canvas at this stage and try and aim for 30+ strops each side. Again, big well-done to you for a hiccup-free straight razor shave! Even if it was 'only' a pass on some sideburn and cheek!

When I started out with straights I also acquired my first one from Billy, you can rest assured it will be 110% shave ready and he will have advised not to strop before first use as he does it himself before posting.

I studied Lynn Abrams tutorial video a couple of times before having a bash myself, its well worth a watch if you haven't already...

While you are still learning the correct technique it will feel more "tuggy" than DE, often beginners think the razor is blunt but in reality its the technique thats lacking... Keep on with it, just the cheeks to begin with, it is a skill and as you progress with it you'll suddenly find one day it all clicks into place (took me 20+ shaves to feel confident in what I was doing, my first ever go with a straight I was shaking like a leaf! :D)

1st Congrats on the SR Shave..That ZY Took a Superb Shaving Edge..I Send All Razors Ready to Shave from the Box..My Daily Stropping Routine is as Follows...30/40 Sets After a Shave..60 Sets Before a Shave..Also..When I Wipe a Blade while Shaving I Don't Wipe the Edge Itself..I Wipe Off the Lather from the Blade is All..I Don't Want to Interfere with the Shaving Edge..:)

Some Use the Linen Side & Some Don't..There are No Hard & Fast Rules..I Always Use Linen Coming off the Hones & After a Shave..About 20 on Linen After a Shave & 10/20 on Leather..Before a Shave I Just Do 60 on Leather..That Works for Me & there are Many Combos..o_O

Its Takes Time to Be Able to Shave with an SR..Thats Why SR Shaving will Never Become Popular..Its a Huge Learning Curve & it Takes Time & Patience..The Learning is in the Practice..Put in the Time & You Will Reap the Rewards..I Would Never Put another Factory Blade Safety Razor Near My Face..;)

Just Keep it Up & All Will Come Together for You..:D

Billy

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I managed a full one pass shave (wtg) today, it was was a bit patchy, but no blood and no burn. I'm having difficulty using my left hand hence the patchyness, I guess that comes with practice.
I'm worrying that I'm not stropping enough or properly. I'll find out soon enough if or when the blade goes dull. I'm developing a feel for the blade so I think I'll be able to tell.
I'm taking it slow and only using the razor when I have plenty of time to shave.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I managed a full one pass shave (wtg) today, it was was a bit patchy, but no blood and no burn. I'm having difficulty using my left hand hence the patchyness, I guess that comes with practice.
I'm worrying that I'm not stropping enough or properly. I'll find out soon enough if or when the blade goes dull. I'm developing a feel for the blade so I think I'll be able to tell.
I'm taking it slow and only using the razor when I have plenty of time to shave.
The feel for the blade will come with time. Massive congrats on the second straight razor shave! That's a huge progression from the first shave. Left hand feel will come with time, as will blade feel and your feel for stropping...

...As you can tell, a lot of the intricacies comes down to touch/feel and not so easily portrayed in a video or described in words.

Keep up the good work! :D

The feel for the blade will come with time. Massive congrats on the second straight razor shave! That's a huge progression from the first shave. Left hand feel will come with time, as will blade feel and your feel for stropping...

...As you can tell, a lot of the intricacies comes down to touch/feel and not so easily portrayed in a video or described in words.

Keep up the good work! :D
Yeah That..The Intricacies to Do with Using SRs is Mostly Down to Touch & Feel..In Other Words Sensitivity & Listening Skills..I Teach Internal Gung Fu Martial Art Systems & I Can Tell You..Most People are as Sensitive as a Brick..:)

Billy

Another shave this morning. I'm getting the hang of the wtg pass though the left side is still patchy. I'm thinking I may try using my right hand on the left side as well. I'm very right handed I'm afraid.
I tried an agt pass on my neck,too soon! One stroke produced a cut and some irritation. I'll need to be more confident with the blade before I go there again.
A question, when I strop my razor the ends of the blade leave scratch marks on the leather, what am I doing wrong?

Another shave this morning. I'm getting the hang of the wtg pass though the left side is still patchy. I'm thinking I may try using my right hand on the left side as well. I'm very right handed I'm afraid.
I tried an agt pass on my neck,too soon! One stroke produced a cut and some irritation. I'll need to be more confident with the blade before I go there again.
A question, when I strop my razor the ends of the blade leave scratch marks on the leather, what am I doing wrong?
Is it a hanging strop? If so pull tight to make sure the leather is flat, scratches from the ends of the blade sounds like the strop may not be flat and it is curling up at the edges....maybe.

It is a hanging strop, it's not wide enough to cover the whole blade so I'm using an X pattern when stropping. I should have mentioned that. I thought I was pulling if tight.
If it's tight and flat it can only be down to tecnique , it takes time to master and we have all cut or scratched our first strops. Take it nice and slow and you should get it right with time.

Always Hard to Comment because I Cant See What You are Doing..But.. Scratching the Strop Suggests Too Much Pressure Towards the Edge..The Blade Should Be FLAT & KEEP it FLAT Through the X Stroke..Don't Try to Sharpen the Blade..Just Look for the Blade Being Flat..The Rest will Take Care of Itself..By the Way..Those ZY Razors Feel Nice on the Strop..:)

Billy

Do the scratch marks on my strop now no good? should it be replaced? There aren't many and they aren't deep, is there anything I can do to repair them?
If they are just light scratches it will be fine, there is no need to replace , just keep the strop conditioned, I just rub the palm of my hand over the leather, the oils in your skin is normaly enough to keep it right.

Another shave today, I'm still have trouble using my left hand to shave with with my right hand I get a good angle but I can't control the blade any where near as well with my left hand to the point where I worry about cutting myself. Any suggestions?

Another shave today, I'm still have trouble using my left hand to shave with with my right hand I get a good angle but I can't control the blade any where near as well with my left hand to the point where I worry about cutting myself. Any suggestions?
Just keep practicing with the left hand untill you get the control or if you find you can shave right handed only just do that. It's all about muscle memory and once the muscles have got it through repetition you will have the control you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom