Le Pete Lucien rose of Pushkar soap

Roy

This is my experience of this soap from France.
The Container is a nice looking tin. However, who designed it needs to think again! Firstly, the lid is difficult to remove. I nearly used a tin opener ! It is overflowing with soap. No room to make a decent brush load . I did try, but the lather and shave were poor.

I transferred it to an empty container and this helped to makes a decent lather as a practice lather. It was easily moulded as It is quite pliable.It needed work! The scent was a nice rose scent, not strong . I have a poor sense of smell but what I did notice was the bathroom was left with a nice rose scent.

I need to keep trying with this soap but so far it is the worst I have used..

I recommend you persevere with it Roy.
I totally agree with you regarding the size of the tin and the difficulty in removing the lid on occasions.

If you are lathering the soap from the tin then you really need to load heavily with a Damp not Soaking wet brush and you will be rewarded.

The scent is divine and the slick and cushion is really good YMMV.

May I suggest you dial it in with little water in your brush and add as you go along.
Have you bowl lathered with it?

Hope this helps,
Wayne.

As my neck still needed some beard shaved, I tried again and loaded with a damp brush. Face lathered and added a bit more water by dipping the brush tip in the water. Success i think! Lovely rich lather! It is quite different from my experience with other soaps
I think the manufacture should consider a bigger tin so you can load the brush easily from the tin. The lovely tin would work if it was a soft cream.

As my neck still needed some beard shaved, I tried again and loaded with a damp brush. Face lathered and added a bit more water by dipping the brush tip in the water. Success i think! Lovely rich lather! It is quite different from my experience with other soaps
I think the manufacture should consider a bigger tin so you can load the brush easily from the tin. The lovely tin would work if it was a soft cream.
I couldn't agree with you more. The design would be much better if the tin was larger and the soap more accessible.

I am pleased you have managed a decent lather, don't be scared of loading too much lather, when you think there is enough add a little more and as we have mentioned add water slowly.
It wont be long before you will be thinking Wow! this stuff ain't that bad after all.

Enjoy! :)

Sound advice has already been given ...

Scrape out an amount from the top and set it aside as a top-up for when your tin starts to empty. Indeed! With a damp brush, generously load. That's the crux. From there, it's a thirsty soap and does seem to like a lot of water but not all at once - keep adding as you build the lather.

For an alternative view, I'm a face-latherer and err on synthetics ...

My method is to drop a small amount of hot water onto the soap itself (in the tin). It's probably a teaspoon in actual fact, but I do that straight from the tap. I then just go in with a dry synthetic brush, give it a damn good loading and then build the lather on my (wet) face. I've usually got a bit of stubble being a 2-3 day shaver, so my face may well hold a decent amount of water. I'll usually wet my brush three or four times before I've built up to the lather I want to shave with.

Why persist?

Well, I think Le Pere Lucien is a very fine soap indeed and the rose particularly a very fine rose. Normally, if the soap isn't as easy to use as MWF (insert your own easy to use soap here because I compare to MWF and have absolutely no issues at all with that soap; quite the contrary) and if it doesn't perform as well as MWF (insert your own ...) then why bother? I'll also add that this soap seems to get better with age.

Once you click with the technique, I think you'll be hooked.

Have fun!

Can you pinpoint the scent ? I mean is it more on the natural rose side ?
I have the klar kabinett and the scent although lovely it seems heavily infused - not a soft rose smell as i would expect.
Great performer though .
From a personal point of view I have lathered with the K Kabinett and the LPL.

The scent of the LPL is much more natural to my nose and performs as good as the KK..

I have a poor sense of smell and find it a light scent, but still noticeable after the shave and the bathroom smells great! It seems a very natural rose scent , not artificial. Plus no pink colour in the cream.

After a bit of experiments to get a good lather, I think I may have cracked it! I covered the soap with water for a few seconds, drained it off then loaded the brush.Lovely face lather . I say cracked it as I have never had such a close shave. Also the first time I have had a comfortable shave with a feather blade ! No cuts with it .

Back
Top Bottom