Kenneth Grange

You may not be aware of it that it is highly likely that you have already seen, used or owned an item designed by Sir Kenneth Grange - be it a razor, a pen, a train, a camera, an iron...the list goes on...

Now in his 80's, Grange has a body of work that can, and sometimes does, fill entire Museum exhibits.
His design motto to design 'for everyone' led him to design predominantly in the consumer product and transportation space. His designed products are more often than not relatively inexpensive and allows art to follow function.

Yesterday I received a book I've been wanting for quite some time:
"Kenneth Grange - Making Britain Modern"

14ukh2e.jpg

nl4u2c.jpg

I brought it with me this morning to my normal saturday-morning-coffee-hangout-place with the intent to browse through it for a while. Two hours later I realize that I have been completely sucked into this 200 page book and its incredible illustrations and copy. There is also a multi-page interview with the man himself that was a fascinating read. I paid $5 for the book, shipped, through Amazon and that was some well spent money.

My fascination and interest in Grange - and this book - comes from, I think, three different places;
1) He has designed some of my favorite razors,

2) He has a very clean almost understated approach to design.
"Form and function must do more than simply co-exist in products - they must be integral", and

3) I love seeing 'how designers think' and there are a high number of sketches in the book from the concept stage showing what ideas there were before settling on the final design.

Below are some examples out of the 200 pages that I think might show his diversity in design and how the book presents them (I admit I did favour the pages focusing on his razor and pen designs) ;)

There might even be some products you remember owning/using yourself :)

A very familiar typewrite profile;
350qsk1.jpg

and some of the sketches leading up to it.
I can't help but wondering what pen and ink he used :D
2n0t0s1.jpg

b4dyr6.jpg

27x0591.jpg

bdnxww.jpg

1zx5xrc.jpg

292xmr4.jpg

Razors
Grange had a relationship with Wilkinson for over four decades that resulted in some razor designs that have stood the test of time. I feel very fortunate to own several of his razors - but have some more I'd like to get.
Here is a bit on how the book shows off the razor designs;

312bbtc.jpg

I found this spread to be very interesting.
On the left hand side is a grid showing some prototype razors Wilkinson designed with Grange.
One two of the ones pictured made it to production. Can anyone tell which two? ;)

On the opposite page is the no-name prototype razor that Grange submitted to a design competition - and won. It ended up being the first all plastic encased DE razor ever made.

2410yus.jpg

Btw, does anyone see a slight resemblance between the prototype Grange made back then..and which has been shown in photos over the years...to a certain laser-razor that got pulled from Kickstarter last year? :)

Grange:
11hxjio.jpg

Kickstarter lazer-razor:
skarp-5-635x423.jpg

Some of the Grange-designed razors that I own - and use;
fac0b8.jpg

Part 2:

Pens
Grange also designed for at least two pen companies - Parker and Platignum.
To no surprise his designs were not intended for high-end versions but rather for products that were intended for mass production, mass appeal - without sacrificing in design quality.

The Parker 25
2z8umn9.jpg

Some designs that led up to the final pen:
2l972md.jpg

The Platpen, Platignum
1gipfa.jpg

Some more pens for Platignum - the Platpen on the left page and on the right a fully plastic version followed by the "Accountant" pen below it.
nb537l.jpg

I love this - Grange ended up also designing some sunglasses for Polaroid. That work, combined with his recent work for Platignum led to a design collaboration with a clothing designer and ended up with a shirt especially designed to carry pens and the Polaroid sunglasses (there two pockets designed for just that).
2nup21d.jpg

zoljd.jpg

Grange's sense of humor comes through in a lot of his designs but maybe most so in one of his later pieces - a bookshelf that doubles as a casket for when it's time for you to check out.
23vxcmx.jpg

I had a great time going through the book today and what I showed above is of course just a small portion of what the 200 pages holds. If you're into industrial/consumer market design you could do worse than spend the $5-10 this books normally sells for on Amazon.

Thanks for all the stuff Mr Grange!

24mz47s.jpg

As a Kid I thought it was beautiful and even to this day I still think that the Intercity 125 train is such an iconic design.

I love his Parker pen designs to.

I'm sure there are many more too

Interesting book and one to look out for when I get home. Being I am in to both art and HiFi; Kenneth is very much a part of both of these worlds. The B&W Diamond Signature speakers, the fore-runners of I use to this day:

There is so much to be said for aesthetic values and the art behind it

Interesting book and one to look out for when I get home. Being I am in to both art and HiFi; Kenneth is very much a part of both of these worlds. The B&W Diamond Signature speakers, the fore-runners of I use to this day:

There is so much to be said for aesthetic values and the art behind it

Ah yes, there are quite a few pages about his B&W audio design work. It really is a fantastic book and Iove that it has so many of his sketches in it. Here in the U.S. its about $9 on Amazon which is a complete steal :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You may not be aware of it that it is highly likely that you have already seen, used or owned an item designed by Sir Kenneth Grange - be it a razor, a pen, a train, a camera, an iron...the list goes on...

Now in his 80's, Grange has a body of work that can, and sometimes does, fill entire Museum exhibits.
His design motto to design 'for everyone' led him to design predominantly in the consumer product and transportation space. His designed products are more often than not relatively inexpensive and allows art to follow function.

Yesterday I received a book I've been wanting for quite some time:
"Kenneth Grange - Making Britain Modern"

14ukh2e.jpg

nl4u2c.jpg

I brought it with me this morning to my normal saturday-morning-coffee-hangout-place with the intent to browse through it for a while. Two hours later I realize that I have been completely sucked into this 200 page book and its incredible illustrations and copy. There is also a multi-page interview with the man himself that was a fascinating read. I paid $5 for the book, shipped, through Amazon and that was some well spent money.

My fascination and interest in Grange - and this book - comes from, I think, three different places;
1) He has designed some of my favorite razors,

2) He has a very clean almost understated approach to design.
"Form and function must do more than simply co-exist in products - they must be integral", and

3) I love seeing 'how designers think' and there are a high number of sketches in the book from the concept stage showing what ideas there were before settling on the final design.

Below are some examples out of the 200 pages that I think might show his diversity in design and how the book presents them (I admit I did favour the pages focusing on his razor and pen designs) ;)

There might even be some products you remember owning/using yourself :)

A very familiar typewrite profile;
350qsk1.jpg

and some of the sketches leading up to it.
I can't help but wondering what pen and ink he used :D
2n0t0s1.jpg

b4dyr6.jpg

27x0591.jpg

bdnxww.jpg

1zx5xrc.jpg

292xmr4.jpg

Razors
Grange had a relationship with Wilkinson for over four decades that resulted in some razor designs that have stood the test of time. I feel very fortunate to own several of his razors - but have some more I'd like to get.
Here is a bit on how the book shows off the razor designs;

312bbtc.jpg

I found this spread to be very interesting.
On the left hand side is a grid showing some prototype razors Wilkinson designed with Grange.
One two of the ones pictured made it to production. Can anyone tell which two? ;)

On the opposite page is the no-name prototype razor that Grange submitted to a design competition - and won. It ended up being the first all plastic encased DE razor ever made.

2410yus.jpg

Btw, does anyone see a slight resemblance between the prototype Grange made back then..and which has been shown in photos over the years...to a certain laser-razor that got pulled from Kickstarter last year? :)

Grange:
11hxjio.jpg

Kickstarter lazer-razor:
skarp-5-635x423.jpg

Some of the Grange-designed razors that I own - and use;
fac0b8.jpg
On your recommendation :rolleyes: I've snagged a copy of this from Waterstones EBay shop - less than £6 posted :)

The Platignum pens arrived from the UK - one fountain pen and one felt tip - and it does indeed look as if it's a Platpen designed by Mr Grange :)

The ad showed these as blue - but I received green ones which is not a big deal.
For $7 a pair...I might see what other colors he has...hmm :)
xogt5g.jpg

The Platpen clip:
23sw6qa.jpg

@Nico1970 I think I see a Parker 25 similarity in the tapered barrel design. It's higher up on the Platpen but it's there.
Maybe easier seen here:
2pt5x7s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom