just had the sh**/ scared outta me

I love Lanc's :)
The Spit's too. But I have never seen or heard them in person.
I think the planes of the past were more beautiful.
I find the Typhoons drawing interesting too.
Here the 193 Esquadron
fole.11.jpg

P1210382.JPG

sodding lancaster bomber ...spitfire and hurricane no more than 200 feet (well maybe 300feet) or so over the top of me house...

WHAT A FANTASTIC SIGHT
I had a similar experience many years ago, I was about sixteen years old at the time, I was up on the roof of the house helping my Dad, he was a builder. The Lancaster was directly above us and it was quite a sight seeing it flanked either side by the Spitfire and the Hurricane. They were flying really low, not sure why they were so low but we did live only about 3 miles from RAF Northolt.

I had a similar experience many years ago, I was about sixteen years old at the time, I was up on the roof of the house helping my Dad, he was a builder. The Lancaster was directly above us and it was quite a sight seeing it flanked either side by the Spitfire and the Hurricane. They were flying really low, not sure why they were so low but we did live only about 3 miles from RAF Northolt.
Waited all day for a reappearance... Nowt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I get shivers down my spine and every hair on my body stands on end whenever I see/hear a Lancaster. Such a powerful, evocative airplane.
I'll never forget the day it came over us - I'm sure it was directly above our heads. Then again, being at Goodwood a few years ago when 19 (I think) Spitfires did some flying demonstrations together was pretty remarkable as well.

The Swansea air show occurred not too long ago and I get the fortune to see the Red Arrows, and others, fly over my parents' house. I was driving around on the Sunday and me and the OH could hear a modern bomber-type plane (unfamiliar with names/terms) flying around but couldn't see it for the life of us. We ended up chatting about how s**t scary it would be to be in a battlefield with the noise of several flying around, let alone just the cacophony of the one.

Living in Lincolnshire I get to see the Lancaster (and the BBMF) overhead fairly regularly. I also made my usual trip to RIAT this year where I saw the BBMF in its new Thompson formation, which it will repeat at the Scampton Airshow. Saw the Lancaster last weekend on its way to or from the blue plaque ceremony for Ginger Lacey.
I consider myself extremely lucky to have seen the Lancaster take off from RAF Waddington with its flying cousin VERA and the last flying Vulcan XH558, before the Lancaster was grounded following its engine fire.
I may (or may not) have the unused shaving kit bought for (or by) Eric Lock a, somewhat unsung, hero of the Battle of Britain (another story). I also have an unused Kent shaving brush from WWII, complete with military issue arrow markings.
As you might guess, I'm a fan, albeit amateur, of aviation history ...✌️

Back
Top Bottom