Is the DE/SE shaving revival on the wane?

Talking to a friend today who asked me if I was still shaving the old fashioned way. He has had a go at DE shaving but didn't like it. Anyway he went on to say that he thought it obvious that it had been a bit of a fad a couple of years ago, but now the novelty has worn off.
My own view which is from limited experience is that it's alive and thriving. I still shave, and over the past couple of years have had several friends try and remain DE shavers. From the prices of razors, blades, brushes, etc etc it would also indicate that prices are rising due to demand. Also there seems to be a healthy availability of new model razors, again if they weren't selling they wouldn't make them. What are your views???

Talking to a friend today who asked me if I was still shaving the old fashioned way. He has had a go at DE shaving but didn't like it. Anyway he went on to say that he thought it obvious that it had been a bit of a fad a couple of years ago, but now the novelty has worn off.
My own view which is from limited experience is that it's alive and thriving. I still shave, and over the past couple of years have had several friends try and remain DE shavers. From the prices of razors, blades, brushes, etc etc it would also indicate that prices are rising due to demand. Also there seems to be a healthy availability of new model razors, again if they weren't selling they wouldn't make them. What are your views???

...I did see some stats, several years ago now, indicating the total dominance of the big cartridge players in western markets...in any event I would be surprised if DE shaving is not an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, niche - a tiny fraction of the market. For India, South America, Africa and large parts of South East Asia, i.e. the majority of the world's men, DE shaving still dominates but as consumers become wealthier no doubt cartridges will secure a greater and greater percentage of their markets; you only have to look at the effort Gillette focused on the Indian market with the Guard. The reality is cartridge razors are the choice for the vast majority in higher/middle income countries and DE in lower income countries...

Didn't you friend go on to explain why he thought it was obvious that it had been a bit of a fad a couple of years ago but now the novelty has worn off or is he prone to making off the cuff statements with no real evidence to back it up?
I'm in agreement with your view......alive and thriving . :) P.

Yes, forgot to add, my friend is a nob of the highest order, as demonstrated by his not continuing to DE shave :) Just got me thinking was my bias unfounded!

It is a niche market but one that is steady if not growing slowly, even if cartridge razors were cheaper I would never go back to using them, not now I've found out that I can get the best shave ever and enjoy it at the same time. Its a way of life for me now and that's the way it will stay. :) P

On the contrary (to Steve's friend's opinion), I think the (old fashion) wet shaving market in the West has been booming for the last 4-5 years. Ten years ago, artisan soaps were almost absent as well as DE razors artisan manufacturers and brushmakers. However, it is still a niche and it will stay like that as long as traditional products are not widely distributed in supermarkets; so big players like Gillette or Wilkinson do not have to worry.

It's very niche, the sales figures for artisanal manufacturers for soaps and razors will be very small. There hasn't been that much change regarding new products in the mainstream. When Yardley or Old Spice bring back a shaving soap and aftershave set, then maybe traditional shaving has re-entered the mainstream :rolleyes: ...

Indeed! It's unbelievable.
Even though shaving can be seen as a commodity, men should be able to shave at decent prices. To me, it is almost a part of human rights.:)

Agreed - all the hype about feminine hygiene products being made freely available. What about us? They argue that they cannot afford them so they will 'smell' , get infections etc. If I do not shave then my dinner may get stuck in my untreated beard!!!!

Agreed - all the hype about feminine hygiene products being made freely available. What about us? They argue that they cannot afford them so they will 'smell' , get infections etc. If I do not shave then my dinner may get stuck in my untreated beard!!!!

All kinds of images conjoured up by this post, none of them very comfortable. Am also reminded of a joke involving a nun and a putrescent haddock. But probably best not to go there.

Last edited:
Just like the great vinyl revival. A fad once and now the norm.

Then again I don't care one way or another as I love it just the way it is and I know which side of the fence I sit.

Back
Top Bottom