Is it time to get rid of the DE razors

Many of you will look at the title and suggest that this is in the wrong place - but read on.

I have been an avid shaver for a number of years - starting off with DE's, playing with Straights but ultimately deciding to stick witH SE's. It always frustrated me that the DE's and Straights saw innovation and many new products. As many of you are aware this has dramatically changed with so many choices of SE razors (i remember the day we all clambered for a Cobra) -- so in the last few month and in the months to come i am sure i will be hoovering up all the SE razors that become available so i find myself asking do i keep hold of my DE razors - or is it time to move them on.

I remember having some rarities and feel it is a shame they are stored away (moved house 2 years ago and still have not unpacked the DE razors) - so clearly i am not using them. :)

I would think i am sentimentally holding onto some - especially some of the rarer ones so i can hand them down to my son - but he is already more interested in the SE's and a part of me believes that i should allow him to find his own way :) (he is & so has a long way to go before needs to shave) and the shaving world will have changed before he is ready to shave:)

So do i move the DE's on?

All opinions valid. :)

There will be some obvious DE's that you could move on no matter what the future variables. Start with them. Then have a cup of tea.

I have some DE's that I don't use a whole lot, but I am keeping them because they will be good starters for my two sons. These include a Tech and a New. And I may find that in 6 months time I bring them back into rotation anyway. But there are a few DE's that I sold because I knew they were never going to get used (Twist, etc) and were excess to requirements.

Many of you will look at the title and suggest that this is in the wrong place - but read on.

I have been an avid shaver for a number of years - starting off with DE's, playing with Straights but ultimately deciding to stick witH SE's. It always frustrated me that the DE's and Straights saw innovation and many new products. As many of you are aware this has dramatically changed with so many choices of SE razors (i remember the day we all clambered for a Cobra) -- so in the last few month and in the months to come i am sure i will be hoovering up all the SE razors that become available so i find myself asking do i keep hold of my DE razors - or is it time to move them on.

I remember having some rarities and feel it is a shame they are stored away (moved house 2 years ago and still have not unpacked the DE razors) - so clearly i am not using them. :)

I would think i am sentimentally holding onto some - especially some of the rarer ones so i can hand them down to my son - but he is already more interested in the SE's and a part of me believes that i should allow him to find his own way :) (he is & so has a long way to go before needs to shave) and the shaving world will have changed before he is ready to shave:)

I think you already know the answer or maybe not........I have found myself using my DE razors less and less because like yourself I am liking my SE razors and Straights / Kamisori but there are a few DE razors I have that I do still enjoy using, so I could see myself letting some of them go. I would say if you are not using them and you are not a collector of razors let them go ......but on the other hand....they are not taking too much space and unless you need the money from the sale of your DE razors why not keep them after all your son may change his mind and be pleased to have some of his dad's razors. So not much help from me! :) I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now.

It's a case of YMMV. I do like SE's (not including the new generation Gem razors, as these I tend to see as half a DE because of blade length that is about DE length). The thing with me and SE's is that I don't like the extra length of the blade as I find it sometimes not as manouverable as a DE blade. I do love the General and the RX and the SE-50 among other SE's, but I tend to garvitate towards DE's injectors and gems. The point in common between the Gems and the SE's is the blade rigidity but that does not seem to be an issue with my Rockwell 6S which Is my desert island DE and would give any SE a run for its money any day of the week.YMMV of-course.
Why I have said the above? Your tastes might change with the times and I'm sure you will have hated a situation where you might have thought, that DE was a good shaver, I wish I had it now to give it a test. So my advise is sell all the DE's you were not too fond of and keep the ones that you were using in the rotation.

Thanks all for the current comments - I don't think that I will,probably go back to DE's I get a far superior shave from SE's and current sporting a beard - which not only has grown on me but on everyone else as well (supposedly takes 30 years off me). I think need to unpack them and see what I have haha - may change my mind as I know some of the razors I just like the look of, so will want to keep. :)

I d say keep a few of your favourite DE and sell the rest. I only have a few DEs : gillette slim / gillette fat boy / the parker variant / a 34c / a weishi / rimei / lord l6. (Lord and rimei are my franken travel razor)

Those are my all time favourite de razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, put them on the BST / PIF area.

Sold a mixture of around thirty-five razors of my collection in 2014. Most of them were DE`s.
Some treasures like a Fatboy, a Slim and a nearly NOS Streamline set among them.
Have to stop talking about...:(:D

200.gif

Last edited:
Sold a mixture of around thirty-five razors of my collection in 2014. Most of them were DE`s.
Some treasures like a Fatboy, a Slim and a nearly NOS Streamline set among them.
Have to stop talking about...:(:D...

Relax, I have sold perhaps 20 + vintage DE/SE razors and many soaps since last Fall and to be frank I feel better for it. I had too much crap that I wasn't using & not enough to be a serious collector to be frank. I had to decide if I wanted a bathroom or a museum. ;)

Back
Top Bottom