I'm in Love

After a week with my new Gibbs Adjustable I' in love.
I have a wast collection of both vintage and modern razors, from cheap to expensive.

For me Gibbs combines the efficiency of theBlackbird with a smoothness of the Rockwell.
What a little gem.
View attachment 34300 View attachment 34301 View attachment 34302 View attachment 34303
I couldn't agree with you more Felix.
The best DE razor I have tried that is for sure.
#4 is my preferred setting.

Enjoy! :)

So how is this so different than say a "Fatboy" for the resultant shave, all aesthetics aside?
I've had five of these lovely razor's and the difference between a Gibbs and a Fatboy is the smoothness while shaving, it is super smooth and an absolute joy to use . I still miss my last one I sold and who knows I may get myself another as a keeper one day.
I only sold it because I was thinning out my DE razors in favor of SE's and Straights, I don't often get seller remorse but I did when I sold my last Gibbs. :) P.

How aggressive/efficient is the Gibbs? Could it be compared to a Rockwell for example?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
I would say it could be compared to the Rockwell setting for setting or maybe just above the Rockwell, it's all very YMMV but it is a very capable razor and as smooth as silk. They are worth tracking down and you can pick one up in good condition for around £50.00 give or take .

Interesting - I just traded one - my Gibbs - that - in fact I bought from you - @Blademonkey - a No. 15 - pretty much mint - bottom line - I really liked the razor - but not as much as the person that wanted to pick it up from me. His trade offer was so lush I couldn't refuse. Were it not for the necessary blade modification - these would be easily doing - Slim and Fatboy prices. Ironically enough - a Rockwell 6C was part of the trade. I look forward to trying it. If you could still get the Gibbs at £50 a throw - I wouldn't have been offered the trade value I was. Perhaps the 15 version is rarer than others? Stupid prices on t'interweb - happy with the trade - chose to trade it internally - on this site - and not put it on EBay - that would have been ugly. Best - I.

Interesting - I just traded one - my Gibbs - that - in fact I bought from you - @Blademonkey - a No. 15 - pretty much mint - bottom line - I really liked the razor - but not as much as the person that wanted to pick it up from me. His trade offer was so lush I couldn't refuse. Were it not for the necessary blade modification - these would be easily doing - Slim and Fatboy prices. Ironically enough - a Rockwell 6C was part of the trade. I look forward to trying it. If you could still get the Gibbs at £50 a throw - I wouldn't have been offered the trade value I was. Perhaps the 15 version is rarer than others? Stupid prices on t'interweb - happy with the trade - chose to trade it internally - on this site - and not put it on EBay - that would have been ugly. Best - I.
The 15 and 17 designations don't necessarily follow production variations. People will say the 15 has a certain cap but then you'll find 17s with the same cap. Subtle difference in the sleeve may or may not be consistent. You'll find 17s with different adjustment dials. They were more catalog numbers than model numbers, the only meaningful difference among them all is the â„–15 gold aluminum edition

Shaved with Mr. Gibbs tonight.
172caacbc7bc9d0cbde200df3241533e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
50 £ a throw is typical over on EBay France give or take depending on condition. I've had five and they all were around that price, I certainly wouldn't pay more than 60£ and then it would have to be in mint condition .
I have my Eskimo razor so I'm not in any rush to pick a Gibbs up, been there done that kinda thing I guess. I highly recommend anyone who's not had one to try one though, alot of razor for the money when you track one down but that's half the fun, the hunt! :) P.

...+1 excellent shavers; the design, finish and quality is superb; the design still looks fresh to my eyes. For me the size is also spot on. There is a delicacy about the design that I admire and that I have not found in other razors. Although the Progress remains one of my favourite shavers it's design is rather crude in comparison to the Gibbs. Despite being an English company, at least in the beginning, the Gibbs comes over as being very French. I can not articulate why but it just does. I think the love for the razor is understandable :) I was lucky enough to get mine at a fair price from a well known forum member!

Last edited:
I would say it could be compared to the Rockwell setting for setting or maybe just above the Rockwell, it's all very YMMV but it is a very capable razor and as smooth as silk. They are worth tracking down and you can pick one up in good condition for around £50.00 give or take .

For me it's a different story. The Gibbs is well above the 6S@6 and the REX in efficiency, all on their highest settings.
The Gibbs will give me a trouble free efficient and smooth BBS on N, while the 6S@6 will be utterly inefficient. The REX will be just about right on 6.5, but this is clearly a case of YMMV.

For me it's a different story. The Gibbs is well above the 6S@6 and the REX in efficiency, all on their highest settings.
The Gibbs will give me a trouble free efficient and smooth BBS on N, while the 6S@6 will be utterly inefficient. The REX will be just about right on 6.5, but this is clearly a case of YMMV.
It is also a case of how much resistance is left in the spring! On any Gibbs razor you may not have the same blade exposure on any given setting because of spring wear, I found that some springs were better than other's, possibly due to how the razor was cleaned or not, how the razor was stored, with the spring under tension or not , ect ect, so most definitely YMMV. And of course beard type will come into play in a big way when talking about any razors efficiency. :) P.

Back
Top Bottom