Ikon B1 razor

Took custody of yet another stainless steel razor this week - this time a brand new Ikon B1.

The first two things that struck me when I took it out its box were;
- man, it's really, really black, and
- it is heavy!

What I meant by it being black is that it's not some faint paint over leaning towards grey...this is solid, deep, dark black. Very nice actually.

It's also heavy - right away it felt heavier and larger than my Weber w/ a Bulldog handle and it turned that that it is indeed a bit longer. See further down for comparison photo.

Build quality seems to be really good. I was, I must admit, a bit worried about that having no experience with Ikon's products in the past but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Coating
I am not fully certain as to what coating it is.
This is the information Ikon has provided:

"B1 is our proprietary matte black finish applied to high polished stainless steel.
Our original DLC is a shiny black and has a hint of silicon mixed into it that is lubricious in property.

The new B1 series is matte black color and bit more durable regarding scratch and wear resistance.

The B1 Coating is different in appearance and feel than our DLC.
The tone of the black of B1 is more muted almost matte finished when seen in certain light."

It'll be really interesting to shave with it and see how it compares to other stainless steel razors.

Here it is propped up in a generic stand (not by Ikon):
2lsdvnn.jpg

"It's really, really black"
2q3att3.jpg

Your regular three-piece construction:
2s0jrbs.jpg

Comparison to a Weber Bulldog handle:
w141h4.jpg

I really like the look of that.

I have always been worried about the coating coming off, that's why I never bought one.

I'm having second thoughts now.
The Ikon OC is a medium aggressive razor and shaves great.

Let us know how you get on with it.

(If you dont like, I'll take it off your hands!)

I've had mine for a few months and no problems with the coating. Anecdotally, a guy on B&B claims he bought one second-hand and the seller just dropped all three parts into a Jiffy bag and it still arrived un-marked.

I do really like the all-black look however "applied to high polished stainless steel." kind of makes me wish they'd left it polished. The iKon OC is a great razor though.

chris.hale said:
I've had mine for a few months and no problems with the coating. Anecdotally, a guy on B&B claims he bought one second-hand and the seller just dropped all three parts into a Jiffy bag and it still arrived un-marked.

Thanks, that's good to hear :)

I see iKon also sell a longer B1 handle (out of stock) so I guess I'm in if there is also a closed comb version (can't see either on his site). Does anyone know whether or not there is a closed comb version, please?

Bechet45 said:
I see iKon also sell a longer B1 handle (out of stock) so I guess I'm in if there is also a closed comb version (can't see either on his site). Does anyone know whether or not there is a closed comb version, please?

Yeah, B1 came with closed, open and slant head: http://www.shaverhut.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ikon

First shave with it and I have to say it was a stellar shave!
The razor is on the aggressive side but never to the point that it felt like it would nick me. It sort of felt a bit like a Weber head but more, do I dare to say it, smooth/efficient.
I am very impressed - not only in the build quality but in how it performed. That it looks great it just a nice bonus ;)

532y68.jpg

Back
Top Bottom