I seem to have developed a problem...

... with vintage straight razors! i got one from @Fergiebilly to start shaving with, now i seem to spend half my spare time trawling ebay looking for well priced reasonable condition straights, which this weekend has resulted in the purchase of two more! Now i don't really need them, they won't be shave ready so i won't be able to use them, i started off telling myself that i could pick up a cheap one and teach myself to hone, only i don't even own a honing stone :oops:

Does anyone else suffer with this infatuation? Where does it end, is there a cure?

... with vintage straight razors! i got one from @Fergiebilly to start shaving with, now i seem to spend half my spare time trawling ebay looking for well priced reasonable condition straights, which this weekend has resulted in the purchase of two more! Now i don't really need them, they won't be shave ready so i won't be able to use them, i started off telling myself that i could pick up a cheap one and teach myself to hone, only i don't even own a honing stone :oops:

Does anyone else suffer with this infatuation? Where does it end, is there a cure?

Yes i have found myself on ebay trawling for straights. Not bought any though. (been close) There is no end, the only cure is to buy them all so there are none left :p:):):)

It's only a matter of time before I buy one off ebay too - spent lots of time looking! I keep reminding myself that I don't need another one yet, but one will come along thats too nice to pass on. So yeah, I think it's a fairly common problem.

Pretty sure you can solve yours though - buy some honing stones :p

I can't see the problem ! :) P.
Just remember to buy the best you can afford ......and enjoy them!

Always difficult when buying on ebay, photos can be made to be decieving, but i always try and look at the blades, no chips in the edge and not completely pitted or rusted, then the scales, no obvious cracks or missing bits, then i'm basically looking for either Solingen or Sheffield stamped blades.

Still the two i've bought this weekend have only cost a tenner a piece so not really the end of the world if they turn out to be not the greatest. I'll post up a couple of pictures when they arrive.

My Advice to Learn to Hone..Buy a 1 K Naniwa Pro Stone..That Stone is All You Need to Learn to Hone a Straight Razor to Shave with..Oh Yeah..I Can Shave Off the 1 K Bevel Hone..90 % of the Learning is Learning HOW to Set a Bevel on the 1 K Hone & Refine & Sharpen it Until it Can Shave..o_O

Its Folly to Move Onto a Progression Until Ya Can Shave Off the 1 K Bevel Hone..If Honing is Not For You then You Will Recoup Most of Youre Money Back on the Naniwa 1 K Stone..The Naniwa 1 K Stone is the Only Stone You Need to Learn to Hone an SR..All the Skills Lay in the Learning Foundation of the 1 K Bevel Hone..:)

Most Dont Listen But Hey..:D:D:D

Billy

My Advice to Learn to Hone..Buy a 1 K Naniwa Pro Stone..That Stone is All You Need to Learn to Hone a Straight Razor to Shave with..Oh Yeah..I Can Shave Off the 1 K Bevel Hone..90 % of the Learning is Learning HOW to Set a Bevel on the 1 K Hone & Refine & Sharpen it Until it Can Shave..o_O

Its Folly to Move Onto a Progression Until Ya Can Shave Off the 1 K Bevel Hone..If Honing is Not For You then You Will Recoup Most of Youre Money Back on the Naniwa 1 K Stone..The Naniwa 1 K Stone is the Only Stone You Need to Learn to Hone an SR..All the Skills Lay in the Learning Foundation of the 1 K Bevel Hone..:)

Most Dont Listen But Hey..:D:D:D

Billy

I would have assumed it would be the other way around! Fountain of knowledge Billy! I do know what they say about assumptions...;)

Now to convince the wife that I need to buy a stone... so I can make sharp objects at home. I can't see a win in the near future o_O

I would have assumed it would be the other way around! Fountain of knowledge Billy! I do know what they say about assumptions...;)

Now to convince the wife that I need to buy a stone... so I can make sharp objects at home. I can't see a win in the near future o_O
Glen in this Video Just about Sums Up What I Just Said about 90 % of the Learning is on the 1 K Bevel Hone..He is Very Lucid & Clear..No Voodoo Talk..Of Course..The Real Learning is in the Practice..:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom