Hunger Games

Just started book 3 - loving it. Aimed at teenagers but like Harry Potter it works on various levels.

Got the set for under a fiver at :

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100

YorkNeil said:
Just started book 3 - loving it. Aimed at teenagers but like Harry Potter it works on various levels.

Got the set for under a fiver at :

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100

I read them a while back and agree totally.

For me the first was brilliant, the second less so but still good, and the third was a real anticlimax. It just felt like more of the same, and not particularly well written, as if the author was hurriedly writing it to fulfil her contract. Very disappointing. :icon_sad:

Pig Cat said:
For me the first was brilliant, the second less so but still good, and the third was a real anticlimax. It just felt like more of the same, and not particularly well written, as if the author was hurriedly writing it to fulfil her contract. Very disappointing. :icon_sad:

I can see where you're coming from but I liked the third because of the under current of powerlessness and lack of choice, and how this is confronted. The eventual ultimate choice was inevitable. Won't say more so as not to give anything away.

I don't tend to read much as I find it hard to get into books. Pushed the set of these through quickly :) Undertones of 1984 is what I like. Though there is more than a smattering of Battle Royale to it.

Well written though and an easy read that grips.

Book one - the only 2 things I kept thinking about was: The US Reconstruction after the Civil War tied into the 2012 Olympics!! The idea just ruined the whole thing for me.

Thread bump to say that I've now finished these and loved them!

The second book felt in a similar vein to the first, but the third, I felt, was completely different. More like reading saving private Ryan set in the future.

Bleak, hopeless, gripping and shocking.

I liked them a lot. But I'm on a dream holiday and feel, frankly, depressed now.

Hope you don't mind me bumping this.

Saw the film, loved it.

Someone recommended the books, I was sceptical at first but after reading the first chapter i couldn't put it down.
I know its aimed at teens but it had the Battle Royalé feel to it.

Heard last week that the second book is coming out in as a film this year.
Hopefully they won't ruin it.

Pig Cat said:

Since this thread's been revived I thought I'd just add that I completely agree with you on this.

It's been a wee while since I read them but (I'll not ruin anything, hopefully) the third book was a particular let down. It was like reading a book about someone being told a story. I understand some people taking that feeling of powerlessness from it, but to me it felt more like lazy writing - with a lot of people describing the events within the book rather than experiencing them.

If I was Collins I would have taken a bit of a risk and written the third book from the perspective of one of the other characters. I have one in particular that I think would have been perfect, but I'll not say anything.

Maybe you're right in that she had a contract to meet which perhaps prevented her from taking many risks but it's a shame that such a powerful and well written first book is let down, in my opinion, but a weak final installment.

I disagree.
I felt the 2nd was more of the same, but the third was a bold change.
Being careful to avoid spoilers, I liked how the mentality changed. How you changed how you felt about the main characters.
I thought it was a good third instalment.

For those reading the books, make your own mind up. Clearly I'm in the minority.

Very good trilogy; I'll agree with many of the posts above and say the first and second books were of a piece and the third is very different. I think the first book is definitely the best.

Back
Top Bottom