How did you choose your second razor?

I was wondering the other day about possibly getting my second DE razor, but I didn't know how to start narrowing down the options....

When getting your first razor, you can find lots of advice about selecting a suitable one for a novice, or you get the one in a nice set, that's on sale, that complies to some offer/advice at the time. But no one seems to say anything about a second razor.

While I currently have a Edwin Jagger DE89 and I know I like it well enough, I don't know what I want more of really, as I've nothing to compare it to (though the handle is possibly a bit shorter than I'd like, so I have been considering a Parker 65R). How did you choose your second razor? Or was it just a case of gotta get 'em all?

I was wondering the other day about possibly getting my second DE razor, but I didn't know how to start narrowing down the options....

When getting your first razor, you can find lots of advice about selecting a suitable one for a novice, or you get the one in a nice set, that's on sale, that complies to some offer/advice at the time. But no one seems to say anything about a second razor.

While I currently have a Edwin Jagger DE89 and I know I like it well enough, I don't know what I want more of really, as I've nothing to compare it to (though the handle is possibly a bit shorter than I'd like, so I have been considering a Parker 65R). How did you choose your second razor? Or was it just a case of gotta get 'em all?
I started off with as many have a Muhle R89 and then within a short space of time jumped to a Muhle R41 and I found this to be fine....however I had DE shaved before whilst I was in the army, so I wasn't a total novice, I had just had a break from DE's for a good few years when I was using cartridge razors or growing beards! A Parker 65R should be just fine. :)

I started with the 34C which I found hopelessly mild, so I went and bought the Muhle R41 which was a tad too aggressive. Lesson learned, so I got a fat boy and found my ideal aggressiveness on 8. Now I have the Rockwell 6S which is the very best DE for me and I shave on plate 6 with the feather.

I started off with a Merkur 34C, my second razor was a Merkur 37C. I chose it because it was different and I hadn't heard of a slanted razor before so it had novelty factor. It was something new to experience and I did enjoy it, after I got the hang of it I branched into other razors like an adjustable and open comb etc.

It is a slippery rabbit hole to fall into, so many razors and different shaves to be had. I am trying to scale back now and only have one of each, with special exceptions.

A Parker 65R is a very fine razor, a good little shaver and a lovely looking razor to boot too! Can't go wrong with Parker, they have certainly upped the quality of their outputs lately.

I started with a DE89 as well.
Next up for me was a merkur progress adjustable, brilliant razor & I still have it.

An adjustable wouldn't be a bad choice as you can dial it up/down & learn a bit more about your preferences.
e.g. I'd say the progress is similar to the DE89 at setting 2.5, exactly in the middle of the range of adjustment.

Then I tried a slant (39c), an OC (fatip grande), Bakelite 45c is an exceptional shave don't dismiss it as a razor just for travel.

All of these are extremely good & definitely different enough to warrant having a rotation.

I read countless reviews and followed the opinions of those who seemed to know WTH they were talking about. I couldn't help but notice that the Schick Krona & Gillette Tech had legions of followers so I bought one of each and it was love after the first stroke.....................as they say. :D ;)

After starting with the DE89 I wanted something more aggressive but didn't know by how much so I went for the Progress so I could try a variety of aggression settings. Was a good choice and still have the Progress today - a great performer. I think that calibrated my ideal aggression level and made later razor purchases more informed.

Last edited:
Started with a Merkur HD then went for an adjustable, the Progress. Then the slant interested me so acquired a Merkur 37C. The Fatip Piccolo was the last addition as I had to try an open comb.
If you want longer handles the Progress and 37C have the longer handled versions.

I started with a DE89 and my second razor was an adjustable (Merkur Futur). I wanted to learn how aggressive a razor should be. The concept was right, but I think if I had my time again I would have got a Progress or a Slim Adjustable, because the Futur is a bit of an extreme razor in its own way.

I chose a cheap but decent starter razor the DE89. I am a Magpie at heart, be it records, golf gear or shaving. Once I had bought one cheap item I will always follow up with a substantially more expensive model. It's the way I am. I did a bit of research, joined the forum and kept my eye on the BST. Something nice always comes up.

Like so many others, my first razor was a Muhle R89 (still use it as a travel razor). For the next one, I wanted something more aggressive, so went for an R41. Much burn and bloodloss later, I concluded it was not for me and sold it on. Then I saw the Executive Shaving Braveheart, which claimed to be in between an R89 and an R41 in terms of aggressiveness, a claim that turned out to be surprisingly accurate. So, my advice would be the Braveheart. It's not the prettiest of razors but it's a very good second razor in terms of functionality.

I would probably have stuck with the Braveheart had I not been seduced by the aesthetics of an ATT R1 offered for sale on here...

My first razor was a Futur. My reasoning at the time was that a modern razor simply must be better than an old thing. Only then did I join this frum. How wrong I was ! My 2nd razor was a Fatboy bought from the lamented Hippo. I drove over to his house & met the fella. Hope he's ok. I then went on to purchase a birth-quarter Slim from him too. Eventually I bit the bullet & bought an ATT R1 which is my daily driver. Loaded with a Polsilver it's sublime.

I started with a cheap Chinese tech clone. It was actually not a bad little razor. Then I wanted something old, then something new, then something different, then something more aggressive, then something more adjustable.

I went for a slant (37c). Then, after buying and selling a few things, this is where I am at and why:

1. A slant (37c), because it is dead easy to use, and super efficient, plus I like the reaction people have when they see a slant for the first time.
  2. A Gillette Tech, because it is genius design, a classic of sorts, good for travel, and one that I can pass on to one of my sons when they start shaving. Shaves just fine too.
  3. A Gillette Slim, because adjustables are useful to work out how aggressive you want a shaver to be, and I love a 1964 product that is in perfect working order.
  4. A Progress, because I liked a vintage adjustable, and wanted to try a modern one (albeit that I have subsequently learned that the Progress designed dates from 1955)
  5. A Gillette Starburst - because it came in a bundle, but is actually a Rocket in disguise, and is an easy to use, dependable razor.

Thanks for the input guys!

It seems to me that going for an adjustable is a common thing for a second razor, letting you tune for your aggressiveness. I am tempted to go for the Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor, as it is different to the standard Mekur one everyone seems to end up going for (my rebellious streak). But it isn't out yet, and it isn't the cheapest option out there...

Failing that, I'll stick with the Parker 65R....

Though, what is most likely to happen is that I'll forget all about it for a month or two, then order something, possibly completely different, when I come back from a trip away and realise I could do with a spare razor to keep in the wash bag....

Back
Top Bottom