Hone type 15t

Hi All, thanks for your thoughts. I saw quite a bit of traffic coming from the forums so thought I would jump in. I know I have been quite for a while but I do find the time to read every couple of weeks.

I know the cost is high, and honestly that is part of the long gestation of the 15t, as I was costing before I began I was starting to get nervous of the price and took a long time to decide if it was something I should do. If you have any direct questions please let me know.

Re the knot; I spent a long time deciding what to do. As with my earlier research it is very hard to find a supplier of knots that knows/will admit where their badger comes from, or can prove their methods are humane. And based on the anecdotal evidence I have heard about the fur trade, the answers I found were not strong enough to outweigh the potential of supporting something that I don't want associated with Hone. Also as I will ship globally my customers come from all sorts of cultural and enthinc background and synthetic is overall safer in that context as I am supplying the brush and razor as a set.

Happy to answer questions or hear feedback :)
Andrew - Hone.

Wow. :eek: That's crazy money, especially when you consider how relatively cheaply titanium razors can be made. Also, the brush has a cheap Plissoft knot as well. I would have expected a high-end badger for that money at the very least.

I would expect Mr Hone to come round my place and personally shave my face for that type of money.....

Hi All, thanks for your thoughts. I saw quite a bit of traffic coming from the forums so thought I would jump in. I know I have been quite for a while but I do find the time to read every couple of weeks.

I know the cost is high, and honestly that is part of the long gestation of the 15t, as I was costing before I began I was starting to get nervous of the price and took a long time to decide if it was something I should do. If you have any direct questions please let me know.

Re the knot; I spent a long time deciding what to do. As with my earlier research it is very hard to find a supplier of knots that knows/will admit where their badger comes from, or can prove their methods are humane. And based on the anecdotal evidence I have heard about the fur trade, the answers I found were not strong enough to outweigh the potential of supporting something that I don't want associated with Hone. Also as I will ship globally my customers come from all sorts of cultural and enthinc background and synthetic is overall safer in that context as I am supplying the brush and razor as a set.

Happy to answer questions or hear feedback :)
Andrew - Hone.
Hello Andrew.
I'm sure it is a very fine razor, I still love my brass hone and it is a thing of beauty , to me anyway but because of the very low numbers of the 15t it has exclusivity which will exclude most of us here not to mention the price.
So it will be first division football players and other rich people who will buy knowing there is only 22 to be made. Exclusivity ......
Your first two razors were made for and priced for the everyman , I hope in the future you will be making some more of these everyman razors.
I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Paul.

Paul is very right in what he says about the exclusivity. I would hope though and this I believe is the wish of other users as well, that it could be a little more aggressive while maintaining the smoothness Hone is famous for.
As far as I'm concerned, I use mine with shims to achieve the efficiemcy I like.

I would expect Mr Hone to come round my place and personally shave my face for that type of money.....
Hi @Aaron1983 I understand that it is indeed a high price, and as mentioned it was something I debated. I came to a few conclusions. When I looked at the cost to buy the raw stock, buy tools to machine a limited number, prototype to validate, and then create the final quantity - that initial exploration alone would likely have ruled the project out for most brands. I felt that as a small manufacturer perhaps that was exactly the reason to take such a project on, because I enjoy it and I hoped others would too, and because it is something that would otherwise not exist.

I knew that the cost could be interpreted multiple different ways and as @Kypros Christodoulides and @Blademonkey have also highlighted and - which I would like to address - I don't want to abandon my customer base. Nor do I want to push the price of my existing razors up. This isn't a push into a new territory for Hone. Hence why I this is a one off and why there are only 22. It is not sustainable for Hone to pursue limited editions such as this, and it is not what I want to do long term. Indeed for the next versions I have been looking at scaling the batch quantity and working hard on the design to bring the price down (and it will be a more aggressive version).

But I do feel that what a small manufacturer can provide is something bespoke and unique, which I truly believe this is. Larger brands and manufacturers sometimes struggle in the broader context to provide the personalised experience and a level of customer service that I hope Hone stands out for, and helps support craft and manufacturing and which I will continue to offer on this and my other razors. :)

I sold my Hone, it is a nice razor but regardless of materials if anyone pays that much for a razor of any kind, I think they need their head examining. I think £100-200 fair enough but beyond that is just throwing money away in my opinion. Reminds me of that razor for sale made with F1 parts, some people love their toys...

It is a Limited Edition but a crazy price nonetheless. I would be curious to see if it does sell out. I liked the Hone myself but the novelty wore off for me, it was a decent shaver but usurped by others. Wonder if we'll see a 22T on the BST :D

Hi @Aaron1983 I understand that it is indeed a high price, and as mentioned it was something I debated. I came to a few conclusions. When I looked at the cost to buy the raw stock, buy tools to machine a limited number, prototype to validate, and then create the final quantity - that initial exploration alone would likely have ruled the project out for most brands. I felt that as a small manufacturer perhaps that was exactly the reason to take such a project on, because I enjoy it and I hoped others would too, and because it is something that would otherwise not exist.

I knew that the cost could be interpreted multiple different ways and as @Kypros Christodoulides and @Blademonkey have also highlighted and - which I would like to address - I don't want to abandon my customer base. Nor do I want to push the price of my existing razors up. This isn't a push into a new territory for Hone. Hence why I this is a one off and why there are only 22. It is not sustainable for Hone to pursue limited editions such as this, and it is not what I want to do long term. Indeed for the next versions I have been looking at scaling the batch quantity and working hard on the design to bring the price down (and it will be a more aggressive version).

But I do feel that what a small manufacturer can provide is something bespoke and unique, which I truly believe this is. Larger brands and manufacturers sometimes struggle in the broader context to provide the personalised experience and a level of customer service that I hope Hone stands out for, and helps support craft and manufacturing and which I will continue to offer on this and my other razors. :)

I Really thought this price was a hoax and i had to look at your website to confirm.

Good luck to the 22 people that actually buy this DE blade holder. Im truly shocked.

Traditional shaving was meant to be saving most men a lot of money. Yes most of us have multiple razors and soaps but im pretty sure my whole shave den wont even come close to £980.

I wish you all the best in your business.

Regards
Aaron

Andrew, thank you for your comments, it is reassuring to know that you will be producing razors at a scale that would bring the price of your future razors to a price that we have seen from you before and a more aggressive version would be welcomed by many I'm sure.
All the best ,Paul.

I Really thought this price was a hoax and i had to look at your website to confirm.

Good luck to the 22 people that actually buy this DE blade holder. Im truly shocked.

Traditional shaving was meant to be saving most men a lot of money. Yes most of us have multiple razors and soaps but im pretty sure my whole shave den wont even come close to £980.

I wish you all the best in your business.

Regards
Aaron

I fully understand that position. This is also a risk/learning experience for me too and I appreciate hearing the feedback thank you.

A number of examples came up when I was working on this where I was similarly caught by surprise by the cost of the items. Some electric shavers are more than £1000 for instance. I am not saying this to suggest that I priced this arbitrarily; To provide a bit of insight Shipping the 22 razors with UPS express worldwide, tracked, with extended insurance (more that £250) is between £50 - £60 each depending on the exact location. That is possibly up to £1300 or put another way 6% of the complete run. And that is one of a large list of costs to consider, and by no means the highest, before even starting to manufacture something.

Last edited:
I fully understand that position. This is also a risk/learning experience for me too and I appreciate hearing the feedback thank you.

A number of examples came up when I was working on this where I was similarly caught by surprised by the cost of the items. Some electric shavers are more than £1000 for instance. I am not saying this to suggest that I priced this arbitrarily; To provide a bit of insight Shipping the 22 razors with UPS express worldwide, tracked, with extended insurance (more that £250) is between £50 - £60 each depending on the exact location. That is possibly up to £1300 or put another way 6% of the complete run. And that is one of a large list of costs to consider, and by no means the highest, before even starting to manufacture something.

You mentioned about providing something bespoke and unique. You did just that with the aluminium and brass hone.

This is why i cant understand why you produced something that has a £980 price tag. Stainless steel with around £180 - £200 tag and i would have purchased straight away.

However, i do wish you all the best in the future. Good luck [emoji16]

Since I've never been in the market for a DE Hone as is, this pensioner obviously isn't in the running for a limited edition of nearly £1,000. What I would comment is that from when Hone first came on the market ( and this forum ) he has earnestly and honestly sought peoples' opinions and feedback and done his best to address customer's concerns. Rather like Daniel's watches I have no doubt that these razors may well finish up as collector's pieces, and good luck to them if they can afford it. I've got no doubts that Hone razors in the future will continue to be affordable, mass market, customer orientated.

JohnnyO. o/

Back
Top Bottom