Hi where am I going wrong?

Hi all, recently got into this due to Amazon... I got myself a Jagen David B40 along with 100 Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades and Arko Shaving Cream Soap Stick.

I was unaware going in so didn't get a brush, looking at a synthetic (the RazoRock "CHROME" Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush) at the minute as I read on here Synths are good. Will start using a cereal bowl before I get anything special for lathering.

Ive had 2 goes at shaving, havent cut myself but have taken the top layer of dead skin off (and some not so dead I think) only noticed a day later. I'm also using Shaveology Advanced 2-In-1 Anti-Aging After Shave Balm and that seems very good.

Ive done this before with torches...buying on Amazon based on reviews, getting more interested, then finding candlepowerforums... So I know already I am doing things wrong, but also I'm doing things wrong I think I'm doing right.

Where I suspect I'm wrong, using shaving foam from a pressurised can, as I don't have a brush yet. Is this like using the wrong kind of knife, I can get away with it, or is it like using another plate to cut my food?

Also would love advice and info on what I have so far, the B40, the razorblades, the arko soap, the Brush.

Before I tried I did watch a few videos on YT.

Also the forum should realy use https!!!

Also thankyou for your help :)

Hi all, recently got into this due to Amazon... I got myself a Jagen David B40 along with 100 Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades and Arko Shaving Cream Soap Stick.

I was unaware going in so didn't get a brush, looking at a synthetic (the RazoRock "CHROME" Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush) at the minute as I read on here Synths are good. Will start using a cereal bowl before I get anything special for lathering.

Ive had 2 goes at shaving, havent cut myself but have taken the top layer of dead skin off (and some not so dead I think) only noticed a day later. I'm also using Shaveology Advanced 2-In-1 Anti-Aging After Shave Balm and that seems very good.

Ive done this before with torches...buying on Amazon based on reviews, getting more interested, then finding candlepowerforums... So I know already I am doing things wrong, but also I'm doing things wrong I think I'm doing right.

Where I suspect I'm wrong, using shaving foam from a pressurised can, as I don't have a brush yet. Is this like using the wrong kind of knife, I can get away with it, or is it like using another plate to cut my food?

Also would love advice and info on what I have so far, the B40, the razorblades, the arko soap, the Brush.

Before I tried I did watch a few videos on YT.

Also the forum should realy use https!!!

Also thankyou for your help :)
The shavig soap is one of the important things you may want to address, foam from a can will never give you the same quality lather you need to protect your skin and provide enough glide while you are shaving imo. So to the brush ,any brush will do but if a Razorock synth is what you want go for that, the Astra blades are good as for the razor I don't know anything about them but it should be ok to start with. Arko soap is a good performer giving great lather, not everyone likes the scent but some do. Once you have all the gear sorted out you need to make sure your pre shave is done right, Get your beard and skin hydrated , while you shower is good ,a good face wash to lift any dirt or grease from your stubble and then and only then lather up ether on yor face by rubbing the stick of soap to the area you are going to shave and face lather with a damp brush or bowl lather it's up to you. The main thing to remember is not to use any pressure on the razor when you are shaving, aim just to shave off the lather and the stubble will come with it, also don't try to do it in one pass, you may need three passes to get a good shave , start shaving in the direction the hair grows ,so down wards first and second pass re lather and go across, from ear to nose, re lather again and try an against the direction of growth against the grain, remembering no pressure at any time and never shave skin that does not have lather on it. Finnish off with your post shave balm.
There are plenty of shaving tuturals on YouTube to watch and you will pick up many good tips from there. Good luck with your shaving but rember good lather , no pressure on the razor and never shave skin if there is no lather on it. We all started here to, you will be ok, happy shaving.:)

Last edited:
Hi. Welcome along. As for your question. You will hear this time and time again but the secret to a good comfortable shave is pressure. When using a double edge razor you must keep pressure light. Aim to just remove the lather from your face not the stubble, the blade will take care of that. You must be prepared to shave twice also. You are looking to reduce your beard with the first pass over your face and complete the shave with the second in a different direction. Shaving with a safety razor is like anything else and does have a learning curve. You will soon be getting the best shaves you have ever had. Be aware also that not all blades suit every shaver. You may want to try a variety pack they are easily available and cheap and will give you the chance to find the blade that works for you.
Good luck.

Welcome @Choronzon,
I haven't tried your brand of razor but it looks like a Chinese tech clone. If you're unhappy with it or want to see how another razor feels I'd recommend either the Wilkinson sword classic or the Feather popular.
The classic comes with blades and I thinks it's less than a fiver. At Shave Lounge they have the Popular for £13.95 shipped and they give you blade samples and styptic matches with every razor.
Also I would advise doing just WTG grain and XTG passes until you get more used to it.Personally I never shave ATG but a DFS irritation free is my goal. And, as @Blademonkey said dump the goo and get a brush. I haven't tried a synthetic brush as nylon upsets my skin but you can pick up good boar bristle brushes for a steal.
Edit: Everyone's growth pattern is different, you might find this link helpful; http://thecloseshave.com/mapping-your-beard-grain/

Last edited:
Thankyou so much all, I will take a look at the feather popular, might give it a few tries with my current one. Its hard I suppose going in to know where my current one will be bad as I have nothing to compare it to yet.

MrK1: The whole thing came assembled, has a good weight to it and looks nice, its twist to open. Visually I arent satisfied that the razor comes out equally on both sides (each edge, once comes out further than the other - possibly - its hard to tell, should I worry about that. Also is there a correct way to insert the razor blades and where do you get rid of them once done? Thanks for your help, I will start another thread and check out the help section in further detail!

Thankyou so much all, I will take a look at the feather popular, might give it a few tries with my current one. Its hard I suppose going in to know where my current one will be bad as I have nothing to compare it to yet.

MrK1: The whole thing came assembled, has a good weight to it and looks nice, its twist to open. Visually I arent satisfied that the razor comes out equally on both sides (each edge, once comes out further than the other - possibly - its hard to tell, should I worry about that. Also is there a correct way to insert the razor blades and where do you get rid of them once done? Thanks for your help, I will start another thread and check out the help section in further detail!
If you have more blade exposure on one side that side will be more aggressive and the other might not shave at all depending on how much blade is exposed. I would recommend the Feather popular from Shave Lounge as the blade sample will be useful. I like the Astra SP you have but YMMV is a phrase you'll hear often here.
Disposing of blades; some in plastic packs have a slot at the back. You can also buy a blade bank. I also put used blades in the cardboard box they came in and tape it up well before putting in the bin

Thanks for that, Ill keep a box handy, guess Ill only have to get rid of 100 at once, they came wrapped in wax paper :) I realy like the smell of the Arko soap. The feather is calling to me, will I be able to work out from that what my preferences are likely to be? I usually prefer to go straight to what I want rather than buying things along the way (saves money) but If it informs my decisions then it will be worth it. Looking at woodheads bowls. What have I done :/

Thanks for that, Ill keep a box handy, guess Ill only have to get rid of 100 at once, they came wrapped in wax paper :) I realy like the smell of the Arko soap. The feather is calling to me, will I be able to work out from that what my preferences are likely to be? I usually prefer to go straight to what I want rather than buying things along the way (saves money) but If it informs my decisions then it will be worth it. Looking at woodheads bowls. What have I done :/
Shaving bowls, I tend to reuse the container they come in and look in charity shops.
I got a ceramic bowl with lid for a quid and a large mug for 25p and fortunately a Figaro tub fits perfectly as a stopper/lid.
I started DE shaving to save on cartridges many many razors, soaps, balms, and splashes etc later, I still haven't spent another penny on carts :confused:

I do not want to stick my oar in as Boru62 seems to be doing a good job but if I may make a suggestion? The razor that is almost universally recommended as the perfect starter razor and the one you can use every day for the rest of your shaving life if you wanted to is the Muhle R89. It is inexpensive and really good quality. It's available everywhere too so easy to get hold of. You will not go wrong with one I can assure you. I'm sure you will improve your shaving with one.

Apologies, for some reason I thought it was a 3 piece razor.

Back
Top Bottom