Hi guys

Paul L

Chief GOW
Hi guys,

As my username suggests my name is Paul.
I've had a love/hate relationship with a Merkur Futur razor for quite a few years!
I've mostly used Trumper creams for around a decade. My favourite Trumper cream is GFT for scent but I got on better with their Sandalwood cream. I've also gone through many pots of Body Shop Maca cream over the last few years.
I've been using a Mason Pearson pure badger brush for around six years.
My first question for you guys is, are there more forgiving double edge razors than the Merkur Futur?
You would think by now I would've mastered my razor, but it's like shaving with a machete on occasion !

Hi guys,

As my username suggests my name is Paul.
I've had a love/hate relationship with a Merkur Futur razor for quite a few years!
I've mostly used Trumper creams for around a decade. My favourite Trumper cream is GFT for scent but I got on better with their Sandalwood cream. I've also gone through many pots of Body Shop Maca cream over the last few years.
I've been using a Mason Pearson pure badger brush for around six years.
My first question for you guys is, are there more forgiving double edge razors than the Merkur Futur?
You would think by now I would've mastered my razor, but it's like shaving with a machete on occasion !
Hello Paul, as for your question, the answer is yes. If you like Merkur and want an adjustable try a progress. :) Welcome to TSR.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
A welcome to TSR from the Highlands of Scotland.

I'm a big fan of the head on the Merkur closed comb razors. For years I was shaving with a EJ 86 and happy and then tried the Merkur 34C. Personally, the EJ head felt a bit too agressive in comparison and the 34C was just right. IMO definitely worth trying.

Andy.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I think, having read a fair few comments in the general shaving forum that the issues I am experiencing with my Merkur Futur are most likely due to my technique.
For example, getting cuts around the chin and under my nose. I will try changing the direction and see how it goes.
Razor burn is an issue on the neck also.
I use Somersets oil on help with glide but still get the razor burn.
The razor is adjusted to setting No:3, so I don't think I'm going in too close, but I may be applying too much pressure.
I've only used regular Gillette blades, I'll try some different ones to see if there's any change.
After a few shaves with the Merkur I give up and revert to using Wilkinson Xtreme 3 sensitive disposables or similar.
I've been on this cycle for about seven years, but I really want to get on with DE shaving.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Hi Paul and welcome to TSR.

If you have been diverting back to carts from your DE razor maybe you should look at changing the "Futur?"
Rather than concentrating on your technique you have another option to deal with in deciding what setting to use.

I am a newcomer to the world of DE shaving and having read numerous reviews and opinions on a "start up" razor, I decided upon the Merkur 34c HD.
I could not believe my luck when an extremely generous member here offered me a mint one that cost next to nothing.
I have been trying several blades and am finding probably the best all rounder for me is the Astra SP.
The Merkur 34 is a forgiving razor and due to its relatively stubby handle, permits an easy change of direction over those trouble spots.
The Edwin Jagger 89 is another popular razor for your consideration although I have not tried it personally.

Hope I have helped in some small way and good luck!
Regards
Wayne

Last edited:
Hello and welcome

The Futur is quite a beast, great razor but takes some experience to use comfortably. Suggestions like the 34C or EJ89 might be a better way to master the DE.

Try some Personna blades too, Asda,Tesco, Boots sell them, usually under their own label.

Back
Top Bottom