Hello

Hello, I'm Andrew and I'm pretty new to DE safety razor shaving. I won't be going back to cartridge razor shaving.

I did some research and my initial kit comprises a Muhle R89, Astra SP blades, a Kent boar brush, some Executive Shaving pre-shave oil, Proraso (blue) shave cream and after shave balm. I also bought a whole variety of alum bars, styptic pencils, matches and creams, none of which I have yet needed because I haven't cut myself. I'm almost disappointed about that because I haven't been able to play with them.

Since then, I have got what appears to be a well-understood condition/illness of collecting razors and paraphenalia. I've bought two Gillette Techs (one in a lovely bakelite box) and a Gillette Slim from the quarter and year of my birth. I turn 50 this year so I am hoping to have it re-plated in time for that (it's an M3). I've also bought several 1950s vanity cases, for reasons which are not entirely clear to me, and a little tin razor blade holder.

Shaving has gone from being a painful chore to an amusing hobby.

I've looked in the Restoration Forum but can't find an up-to-date list of people who might restore and replate my Gillette Slim. I'd like to plate it in Rhodium or Palladium - because I'm worth it. Any suggestions, please?

Hello Andrew and welcome to TSR, I also have a birth year Gillette slim adjustable although I bought mine reconditioned and re-plated.sorry I can't recommend anyone about the re-plate, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck !!!

Hello and welcome to TSR Andrew, you have indeed contracted the illness that has effected many of us and I'm sorry to say there is no cure, it will lessen with time or you will run out of money, I wish you luck but there is no hope whatsoever :)

Back
Top Bottom