Grapefruit Fragrances and medication

My family has a history of high blood pressure and at the age of almost 60 I have had to start taking blood pressure tablets. I am not allowed to eat or drink grapefruit products. Probably a silly question....but does anyone know if grapefruit in creams soaps and colognes/aftershave would be included in this ban?

My family has a history of high blood pressure and at the age of almost 60 I have had to start taking blood pressure tablets. I am not allowed to eat or drink grapefruit products. Probably a silly question....but does anyone know if grapefruit in creams soaps and colognes/aftershave would be included in this ban?
Is there a doctor in the house? :)
The best bet is to seek advice from your GP on matters such as this.

I figured there would be a GP somewhere on the board.....quicker asking here than getting an appointment and wasting the time of my gp with questions about shaving cream!
True, there may well be a doctor on the board but never think that you are wasting the doctors time in asking questions about what could effect your health......it's their job and it's what they get paid very well for. :)

True, there may well be a doctor on the board but never think that you are wasting the doctors time in asking questions about what could effect your health......it's their job and it's what they get paid very well for. :)

And I agree......however my GP is female and I suspect that shaving creams would be pretty low down in her priorities. As a biomedical scientst I suspect that the artificial fragrances used in most products nowadays would be different from the real thing....just want to know yeah or nay. I know that aromatherapy demands the use of natural oils and fragrances are ineffective

And I agree......however my GP is female and I suspect that shaving creams would be pretty low down in her priorities. As a biomedical scientst I suspect that the artificial fragrances used in most products nowadays would be different from the real thing....just want to know yeah or nay. I know that aromatherapy demands the use of natural oils and fragrances are ineffective
If you don't get a response here then perhaps bypass the GP and ask your very knowledgable local pharmacist.....just a thought....... You are probably right though, synthetic frags should be nothing to be worried about. :)

Personally, I always found it rather odd, if not downright bizarre, to make a grapefruit scented soap at all. I mean, the fruit is not really tasty and usually only people on a diet eat it anyway. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Personally, I always found it rather odd, if not downright bizarre, to make a grapefruit scented soap at all. I mean, the fruit is not really tasty and usually only people on a diet eat it anyway. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Probably my favourite citrus scent....and always was my fruitjuice of choice in the am!

It's blood concentration more than 'general contact', from what I understand. Of course, checking with a medical professional should put your mind at ease but a minute amount of grapefruit 'flavouring' in your shave cream, applied only to skin, isn't going to interact much with the medication which is internal.

Heck, the meds I take even say don't consume with grapefruit as it may exacerbate symptoms of taking the drug (or something to that effect) are not notably affected by Robinsons Pink Grapefruit squash, purely because there's very little grapefruit content actually there!

I picked up my medication today and spoke to the Pharmacist. She confirmed that the grapefruit must be ingested. Shaving products are OK!

Back
Top Bottom