Gillette Super Thin Revisited

So as for there to be no error regarding which blades I am describing here is a photo with the modern Thai version atop and modern Vietnam version below. This is NOT about vintage Thin or Super Thin blades:

AVFFw0U.jpg

Notice that the Vietnam version is marked Platinum whereas the Thai version is not. These are both made in China by Gillette to the best of my knowledge and they are not the same blade as one stroke will make patently obvious. The Thai version is far smoother IMO and simply a fantastic blade. The Vietnam version is sharper IMO as well and as such may feel "tuggy" at first. Fewer people prefer it over the former it seems based upon Internet reviews.

I have not made a final verdict on the Platinum Vietnam version as of yet as I have learned long ago that sometimes a blade needs to be tried in different razors and perhaps even with different soaps/creams in order to make a fair & objective decision.

That said, I cannot recommend the Thai version enough. I put it up there with other top shelf authentic Gillette Chinese blades, e.g., Goal Super Platinum, Gillette Wilkinson Sword & the Super Blue Blade. Note that I wrote authentic as the Internet is rife with bogus Chinese blades. Caveat emptor.

Got one in a sample pack somewhere will have to give it a go.

Just tried the Thai one in a DE89, OSP Fougere, two days growth and it was excellent. I'll have to try a few more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom