GEM stainless steel, single edged, ptfe; razor compatibility

Just found this forum, which looks really informative, and would lie to post re the above.

I bought a Genesis Core recently, and read somewhere that I could use the above as an alternative to the Feather single-edge blades, designed for it. I now realise that this is incorrect, unless I modify the GEM blades, which I don't want to do. As I now have 100 GEM blades, I thought I might look at buying a razor to go with them. Can anyone suggest a compatible razor which I might be able to source in the UK?

Thanks for any help.

OK, thanks will take a look for your suggestions.

I am put off de-spining the GEM blades, as someone posted a response to this suggestion, recounting how they managed to cut the resin retaining lugs off at the blade side of the Core, ruining it (maybe read that somewhere on this forum). That has put me off trying, but I read this only after I had ordered the blades. It seems the de-spined blades do not click into place like the Feather FHS-10 blades do, so they can be pushed through, cutting the retaining lugs.

If I can't find a razor to fit, I will have to dispose of the blades, I suppose, as I don't imagine there's any market for an opened box of blades, though it seems very wasteful.

If you try a vintage SE you'll appreciate our ancestors got some things right.
I have a 1912 coming my way because I want the case.
If it's decent you can have it for a fiver, if not you can have it gratis.

Last edited:
I don't have the core, but I have the V1 Genesis and I de-spine and trim the Gem to fit. If you have a nipper, it's a breeze.

That's really what I'm considering, as long as the de-spines GEMs can't damage the Genesis in the same way it appears able to damage the resin head of the Core. I can then give the Core to my wife, or keep it for holidays.

Before I pay out £300 for the Genesis, a couple of questions:

Is the head of the Genesis all metal?

Does the de-spined GEM lock as the Feather does?

Thanks very much for all the replies; really helpful, really appreciated.

Gem Micromatic or Featherweight (the Featherweights are very cheap). I'm happy to be corrected, but I think these razors were designed to use the blades you have. The 1912s can use them, but they should really be shimmed to replicate the original blade position.

The V1 Genesis will accommodate the Gem, albeit without clicking in place as intended for the dedicated Feather. As more and more people opted for the Gem blade in their V1's, OB came out with the V2 which makes it even harder to use a Gem, with a slightly smoother shaving head and yes the heads of both Genesis versions are made of metal.

Gem Micromatic or Featherweight (the Featherweights are very cheap). I'm happy to be corrected, but I think these razors were designed to use the blades you have. The 1912s can use them, but they should really be shimmed to replicate the original blade position.

I went through the process of shimming mine, and thought it was great. Then stopped SE shaving for about 6 months before coming back to it. I'd completely forgotten about shimming it, so carried on with out it. YMMV, but to be honest, I haven't really noticed any difference shimming or not. They are the most fantastic daily shaver however you do it. You get great shaves but they are so easy to use. You can whip it around the boat race with great confidence.

@AlterEgo I can STRONGLY advise on taking up @Boru62 on his kind offer. For a trifling sum, you should enjoy a great shaving experience.

Back
Top Bottom