GEM Pushbutton blades.

I have recently aquired a USA made GEM Pushbutton (1960s I believe) and was wondering what blades would fit without any mods. I assume GEM Personna with a spine would be the natural choice but I read somewhere that Feathers would also fit. I have GEMs and FHS-10s so before I put metal to flesh has anyone else tried this, shimmed or otherwise?

I have recently aquired a USA made GEM Pushbutton (1960s I believe) and was wondering what blades would fit without any mods. I assume GEM Personna with a spine would be the natural choice but I read somewhere that Feathers would also fit. I have GEMs and FHS-10s so before I put metal to flesh has anyone else tried this, shimmed or otherwise?
I'm not sure about the feather blade but the Personna Gem for sure, no need to shim. P.

GEM stainless steel are the obvious and best choice in the UK.
You can get carbon PAL and Treet blades in the US, but it's tricky to find a company shipping them to the UK and if they do, shipping is eye-watering. Not worth the hassle in my book. I have tried them and (YMMV) they are no better than the GEMs.
You can take a spine from a GEM blade and crimp it on the back of a Feather FHS-10 I believe. I have never tried this as I don't rate the Feather blades highly and will keep the ones I have for Valet razors.
Stick with the GEMs...

GEM stainless steel are the obvious and best choice in the UK.
You can get carbon PAL and Treet blades in the US, but it's tricky to find a company shipping them to the UK and if they do, shipping is eye-watering. Not worth the hassle in my book. I have tried them and (YMMV) they are no better than the GEMs.
You can take a spine from a GEM blade and crimp it on the back of a Feather FHS-10 I believe. I have never tried this as I don't rate the Feather blades highly and will keep the ones I have for Valet razors.
Stick with the GEMs...
Exactly my thoughts on the Feathers and exactly my reason for keeping them! In fact, will be featured in my SOTD when I get round to it.

Maggards sell Gem Blue Star carbon blades with reasonable postage.
I find the first shave smoother than the Gem SS but only get a couple of shaves, three at a push. I only buy them if I'm buying something else from Maggards otherwise I stick with the SS.
If you're really lucky you might come across some vintage blades which can be rehoned.
I personally would never dream of using a Feather in a Gem bladed razor.

Maggards sell Gem Blue Star carbon blades with reasonable postage.
I find the first shave smoother than the Gem SS but only get a couple of shaves, three at a push. I only buy them if I'm buying something else from Maggards otherwise I stick with the SS.
If you're really lucky you might come across some vintage blades which can be rehoned.
I personally would never dream of using a Feather in a Gem bladed razor.
Those are suitable for older SE razors (e.g. 1912) as they have a thicker spine and can then be used without a shim. The Pushbutton was designed for modern blades.

Back
Top Bottom