Gem Junior Query

Hi
Had a shave this morning with a newly acquired Gem Junior and ended up with one of the very best shaves ever !
I have recently been using my Damaskeene with the same Gem blade that I used for todays shave ( 5th use )
Now my question is why have I got such a better shave with the Gem Junior than the Damaskeene using the same prep, blade, cream and brush ?
Is is that the Gem Junior is more matched or designed to the Gem blade than the Damaskeene ?
I would be grateful for experts ideas on this !

I don't own a Gem but I think your question fully describes what we refer to as YMMV.
Not all skin types and stubble types are the same, requiring different blades, different razors for every type. Even with the same adjustable razor, people vary the settings to suit them personally.
For ex. I use my fat-boy on 8 while others using the same blade use it on a different setting. We both get the same quality of shave if we both find the razor agreeable, but on different settings. Others might find that my particular favorite blade (feather) does not suit them.
It's all a case of YMMV.

Good point !
It has a stubby purple handle and there is a photo of it on todays Shave of the Day
... and here's the picture:
P1060936_zpspm7cksrn.jpg

Good point !
It has a stubby purple handle and there is a photo of it on todays Shave of the Day
Right. Well it is a slightly different head then the Damaskeene so it shouldn't surprise that it shaves different. I don't have one but have preferred the Damaskeene to the later 1912s. I could see where the handle would allow for an easier and perhaps firmer grip but wouldn't expect a closer shave. Intriguing though, will have to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I get on well with that razor too. My go to razor is a 1924, which the one pictured is a lot milder. But still great shaves.
Depending on the amount of growth dictates which razor I will use.
There are many variations of this razor.

Right. Well it is a slightly different head then the Damaskeene so it shouldn't surprise that it shaves different. I don't have one but have preferred the Damaskeene to the later 1912s. I could see where the handle would allow for an easier and perhaps firmer grip but wouldn't expect a closer shave. Intriguing though, will have to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Could it be that the Damaskeene may well be designed for use with a stropped hollow ground blade and the Gem Junior designed for the type of Gem SE blade that we can still purchase today ?
Im not saying that the Damaskeene didn't give me a really good shave, it did, and has been consistent in this; I can appreciate that the two razors will shave slightly different, but I am really amazed at the difference between them using the exact same blade !

Right..The Gem Junior Including the Model You have there Went through So Many Changes to Try & Get them to Shave Better with a Current Gem Blade..Yes..In My Opinion Gem Messed them Up Attempting to Do So..The One You have there Is a Gem Parade & they were Made as Cheap as Chips to Compete with Gillette..I Hated Mine..o_O

Billy

Greetings

I absolutely love mine I find it is a gentle comfortable and close shaving razor. Whilst the baton handles are pretty ugly I find them the very best razor handle I have used for comfort and ease of use.

Is it better than the Damaskeene....no just different and for some it may or may not not shave better with any blade, it really is simply personal preference IMHO.

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

I absolutely love mine I find it is a gentle comfortable and close shaving razor. Whilst the baton handles are pretty ugly I find them the very best razor handle I have used for comfort and ease of use.

Is it better than the Damaskeene....no just different and for some it may or may not not shave better with any blade, it really is simply personal preference IMHO.

Regards
Dick.
I also find the baton handle extremely comfortable and also intend shaving with this razor for some time with the occasional rotation with my injectors.
This will give me a good sample to make a definitive decision on the overall long term shaving experience with it !
Also to try and determine how many really good shaves I can get with the same Gem blade !

Back
Top Bottom