"G in D" mark

Bought these three razors and one of them have the "G in D" mark on it (I believe the razor is a Single Ring but won't have it here until next week or so).

I've heard various takes on what that mark means. The most common one is that it's something Gillette stamped on the razor if it was sent in for repairs. I must admit I find that to be a rather odd explanation as why on earth would a company add such an invasive/costly process step to their repair service and actually perform something that might even damage the razor further. It just seems like an unlikely answer.

If I had to guess...I'd say maybe a market-stamp? This particular razor comes from France. Could it be that Gillette for a period of time stamped export razors with this mark?

I really, as shown above, have no idea but if there is anyone out there that knows I would love to find out!

344oyh1.jpg

Increased the contrast/sharpness to show it off a bit more clearly:
20hvyo5.jpg

I thought it was repairs too, but I was informed it meant they were made in France. So your Gillette could have been made by Kirby Beard & Co.

Thanks, now that would be nice if it was made by Kirby....wish they had left a scalloped head on it ;)
Now, I don't actually know if it does mean that it repaired or not...I just think it's an unlikely explanation.

Do you know if the information that it means that it was made in France is the final, actual explanation?

Does anyone have a link to some place where there are some documentation or solid facts one way or the other?
Not that it truly matters one way or the other...it's just one of those things that never seems to be settled :)

This is really interesting for me,when I originally got my really battered up Gillette 1909 ABC (or so I thought) Pocket Edition (has the right date code,patent markings on case,hinge not button,etc),what was left of the lining (not much) had 'Paris' in the top left hand corner (the rest was indistinguishable).What did set it apart from anything else I could find,was the 'G in the D' on the reverse side of the baseplate...
After a year in the 'to do' box,it has been polished to the max,case relined,case dents knocked out,case polished too,you get the picture!,restored from the dead,to now be my daily driver....
So my question is,surely the 'G in the D' must date 20 odd years earlier than 1930?,as I am sure mine is from 1909?....

This is really interesting for me,when I originally got my really battered up Gillette 1909 ABC (or so I thought) Pocket Edition (has the right date code,patent markings on case,hinge not button,etc),what was left of the lining (not much) had 'Paris' in the top left hand corner (the rest was indistinguishable).What did set it apart from anything else I could find,was the 'G in the D' on the reverse side of the baseplate...
After a year in the 'to do' box,it has been polished to the max,case relined,case dents knocked out,case polished too,you get the picture!,restored from the dead,to now be my daily driver....
So my question is,surely the 'G in the D' must date 20 odd years earlier than 1930?,as I am sure mine is from 1909?....

I think the razor I bought is a single ring (terrible photo can't tell) - but I'll check it out when it gets here next week and see when it's from.

Back
Top Bottom