From Russia with love...

I've been buying up lots of Eastern European shaving products lately, initially just out of curiosity but once I sampled the first few arrivals I had to get my hands on more... The value for money is probably the best in the entire shaving world. I was holding off posting this thread until everything had been delivered and tried but where's the fun in that?! So, here is a little list of recent acquisitions and what I think of them... The products aren't strictly Russian, anything from Eastern Europe gets a pass.

I'll start with my favourite find of the lot: Svoboda "vitamin F fortified" aftershave balm.

36084431365_da6d9b7015.jpg

Svoboda (Freedom) are one of the largest cosmetics manufacturers in Russia, with a huge factory in Moscow. This aftershave balm like most Russian products looks very basic in a simple plastic tube, the kind used for toothpaste in the west but never judge a book by its cover for inside lurks one of the most easily absorbed, non greasy, softening/moisturising and healing balms I've ever tried. I've used Harris A/S milk, Trumpers skin food, L'Occitane balm and for me, this stuff walks all over them and its only £3 for 80g! Astounding. It has a sweet mint scent that fades within 15 minutes and a light menthol kick as you apply it that doesn't linger. Purchased from eBay seller "royalty-4" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122062930914

Ingredient list: Aqua, Olus Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Palminate, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Allantoin, Menthol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Parfum, Limonene, Linalool, Eugenol.

Next up is the partnering Svoboda "soapy" shaving cream.

36084432025_93baefcd2e.jpg

It comes in a similar plastic tube to the A/S balm albeit slightly more colourful... There is some entertaining reading on the Russian myshave.ru forum about this product, the consensus is that its a "Soviet soap" and smells so bad only true patriots of the motherland are willing to use it :D. I don't find the smell that bad but its certainly not pleasant, like some medicated lotion from 50 years ago perhaps. If you can suppress your gag reflex long enough to use it then a great shave awaits you, I've found a bit more product is required for the equivalent amount of lather compared to other creams so its not very concentrated, that said once lathered up it provides a really good protective lather. It only costs £3 for 75g. Purchased from eBay seller "royalty-4" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122062930914

Ingredient list: Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Parfum, Sodium Silicate, Boric Acid.

Next up is Kapo (Karo) Classic shaving cream from Bulgaria.

35243920164_3319bbb58b.jpg

Bulgaria is renowned for making awesome shaving creams and this is no exception. It smells exactly like Fitjar Havn to me (which is a good thing), its a thick cream that produces absolutely tons of lather from a small dot of product... Safe to say I'll be stocking up on this one... At £2.59 delivered for a 100g tube this is one of shavings biggest bargains. Purchased from eBay seller "amzishop" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272719431006

Ingredient list: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocamide Mea, Menthol, Sodium Borate, Boric Acid, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl, Ionone.

I've ordered a number of Colognes but only one has been delivered so far... Novaya Zarya "Arbat".

36084432695_5343aa8d16.jpg

They are all manufactured by the Novaya Zarya (New Dawn) factory in Moscow, prices vary between £2-£12 per bottle. Arbat was released in the 70's and is named after a desirable street in Moscow where party officials lived. It goes on cedar and lemon but dries down to a gorgeous wood/vanilla incense, projection is low but longevity is good (6+ hours on my skin) this stuff smells far more expensive than it is, I'm looking forward to receiving the other scents I've ordered. Purchased from eBay seller "leninogorsk.eu" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152603210978

That covers software but what about hardware? Well, the razors are really rather good too.

36084433455_9f585440f4.jpg

36084432905_d09352be1e.jpg

Russia produced some beautiful straight razors, best to stick to razors manufactured between 50's-mid 70's as later ones are reputedly not so well made. The two above were manufactured by the Stiz factory in Moscow and they are quality shavers... The two of them all honed and ready to shave cost the same as just one of my vintage Sheffield's so that gives you an idea of the value they offer. Both were purchased from eBay seller "mlys7884" https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mlys7884/m.html?item=252984271096&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

DE's aren't left out either...

36084433755_ba04b1b05c.jpg

Above is a "Consul" adjustable that probably looks rather familiar o_O Yes, its a Gillette Slim rip-off. These were manufactured at the "fine instrument-making plant", Severodonetsk, Ukraine. Build quality isn't up to Gillette standards, the materials are first rate but the construction tolerances are somewhat iffy... Its got an even blade gap between settings 1-6 but starts to become a slant on anything higher :D Still, fun to try these things.

Thats it for now, I'll update as more products get delivered... If you have any questions on a product fire away or if you want to weigh on with your own thoughts please do.

Last edited:
I've been buying up lots of Eastern European shaving products lately, initially just out of curiosity but once I sampled the first few arrivals I had to get my hands on more... The value for money is probably the best in the entire shaving world. I was holding off posting this thread until everything had been delivered and tried but where's the fun in that?! So, here is a little list of recent acquisitions and what I think of them... The products aren't strictly Russian, anything from Eastern Europe gets a pass.

I'll start with my favourite find of the lot: Svoboda "vitamin F fortified" aftershave balm.

36084431365_da6d9b7015.jpg

Svoboda (Freedom) are one of the largest cosmetics manufacturers in Russia, with a huge factory in Moscow. This aftershave balm like most Russian products looks very basic in a simple plastic tube, the kind used for toothpaste in the west but never judge a book by its cover for inside lurks one of the most easily absorbed, non greasy, softening/moisturising and healing balms I've ever tried. I've used Harris A/S milk, Trumpers skin food, L'Occitane balm and for me, this stuff walks all over them and its only £3 for 80g! Astounding. It has a sweet mint scent that fades within 15 minutes and a light menthol kick as you apply it that doesn't linger.

Ingredient list: Aqua, Olus Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Palminate, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Allantoin, Menthol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Parfum, Limonene, Linalool, Eugenol.

Next up is the partnering Svoboda "soapy" shaving cream.

36084432025_93baefcd2e.jpg

It comes in a similar plastic tube to the A/S balm albeit slightly more colourful... There is some entertaining reading on the Russian myshave.ru forum about this product, the consensus is that its a "Soviet soap" and smells so bad only true patriots of the motherland are willing to use it :D. I don't find the smell that bad but its certainly not pleasant, like some medicated lotion from 50 years ago perhaps. If you can suppress your gag reflex long enough to use it then a great shave awaits you, I've found a bit more product is required for the equivalent amount of lather compared to other creams so its not very concentrated, that said once lathered up it provides a really good protective lather. It only costs £3 for 75g.

Ingredient list: Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Parfum, Sodium Silicate, Boric Acid.

Next up is Kapo (Karo) Classic shaving cream from Bulgaria.

35243920164_3319bbb58b.jpg

Bulgaria is renowned for making awesome shaving creams and this is no exception. It smells exactly like Fitjar Havn to me (which is a good thing), its a thick cream that produces absolutely tons of lather from a small dot of product... Safe to say I'll be stocking up on this one... At £2.59 delivered for a 100g tube this is one of shavings biggest bargains.

Ingredient list: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocamide Mea, Menthol, Sodium Borate, Boric Acid, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl, Ionone.

I've ordered a number of Colognes but only one has been delivered so far... Novaya Zarya "Arbat".

36084432695_5343aa8d16.jpg

They are all manufactured by the Novaya Zarya (New Dawn) factory in Moscow, prices vary between £2-£12 per bottle. Arbat was released in the 70's and is named after a desirable street in Moscow where party officials lived. It goes on cedar and lemon but dries down to a gorgeous wood/vanilla incense, projection is low but longevity is good (6+ hours on my skin) this stuff smells far more expensive than it is, I'm looking forward to received the other scents I've ordered.

That covers software but what about hardware? Well, the razors are really rather good too.

36084433455_9f585440f4.jpg

36084432905_d09352be1e.jpg

Russia produced some beautiful straight razors, best to stick to razors manufactured between 50's-mid 70's as later ones are reputedly not so well made. The two above were manufactured by the Stiz factory in Moscow and they are quality shavers... The two of them all honed and ready to shave cost the same as just one of my vintage Sheffield's so that gives you an idea of the value they offer.

DE's aren't left out either...

36084433755_ba04b1b05c.jpg

Above is a "Consul" adjustable that probably looks rather familiar o_O Yes, its a Gillette Slim rip-off. These were manufactured at the "fine instrument-making plant", Severodonetsk, Ukraine. Build quality isn't up to Gillette standards, the materials are first rate but the construction tolerances are somewhat iffy... Its got an even blade gap between settings 1-6 but starts to become a slant on anything higher :D Still, fun to try these things.

Thats it for now, I'll update as more products get delivered... If you have any questions on a product fire away or if you want to weigh on with your own thoughts please do.
What Wayne said! :)

I have the Svoboda shaving cream and a/s balm and yes they are great performers. I have got few Russian colognes and majority of them smells too floral(synthetic) and not masculine to my nose, among them my favourite is Tet-atet. Recently I was thinking of buying Wars fresh or sport from Poland but thanks to the information I've changed my mind and ordered Arbat.
I have few Russian straight razors, one is same as yours (Rocket). In my opinion they are interesting with half hollow grind and smiling spine, yes they give good shave but in my opinion they are quite behind compared to Sheffield and Solingen razors, but nonetheless they are interesting.
Addition to your Eastern European shaving products; I would like to mention Figaro and Barbon shaving creams from Hungary which are absolutely great performers with wonderful, old-school scent, they also have matching aftershaves containing menthol that is cooling and refreshing, however the scent lasts only few minutes.
Finally from Poland we got Lider and Wars that are equally wonderful as their Hungarian counterparts, Wars Classic aftershave and Chopin aftershaves are really nice with classic, old-school and masculine scents.

I have the Svoboda shaving cream and a/s balm and yes they are great performers. I have got few Russian colognes and majority of them smells too floral(synthetic) and not masculine to my nose, among them my favourite is Tet-atet. Recently I was thinking of buying Wars fresh or sport from Poland but thanks to the information I've changed my mind and ordered Arbat.
I have few Russian straight razors, one is same as yours (Rocket). In my opinion they are interesting with half hollow grind and smiling spine, yes they give good shave but in my opinion they are quite behind compared to Sheffield and Solingen razors, but nonetheless they are interesting.
Addition to your Eastern European shaving products; I would like to mention Figaro and Barbon shaving creams from Hungary which are absolutely great performers with wonderful, old-school scent, they also have matching aftershaves containing menthol that is cooling and refreshing, however the scent lasts only few minutes.
Finally from Poland we got Lider and Wars that are equally wonderful as their Hungarian counterparts, Wars Classic aftershave and Chopin aftershaves are really nice with classic, old-school and masculine scents.

Interesting, its all very subjective... I had read tete-a-tete is very old fashioned 70's disco style? On the SR's I would say their Achilles heel is the scales which are inferior to western counterparts but the blades themselves are very nice (I prefer 1/4 or 1/2 hollow so am biased.) I will try and source some of those Hungarian/Polish products, thanks for bringing them to my attention :)

Interesting, its all very subjective... I had read tete-a-tete is very old fashioned 70's disco style? On the SR's I would say their Achilles heel is the scales which are inferior to western counterparts but the blades themselves are very nice (I prefer 1/4 or 1/2 hollow so am biased.) I will try and source some of those Hungarian/Polish products, thanks for bringing them to my attention :)
Sorry in my first post I said smiling spine which should be smiling edge. Yes the scales aren't as good as western counterparts, If anyone asks for a smiling SR and 1/2 or 1/4 hollow grind I would suggest Russian straight razors as they are more affordable, I didn't mean they are bad razors but personally when I compare them to a Sheffield and Solingen I would prefer a Western razor. I said tet-a tet is my favourite among them because it doesn't have that synthetic floral scent like Red Moscow and the Cyphre(or something like that) I also have the Napoleon which is refreshing with a touch of mint and citrusy kind of tone to my nose, but the scent lasts very short.

Sorry in my first post I said smiling spine which should be smiling edge. Yes the scales aren't as good as western counterparts, If anyone asks for a smiling SR and 1/2 or 1/4 hollow grind I would suggest Russian straight razors as they are more affordable, I didn't mean they are bad razors but personally when I compare them to a Sheffield and Solingen I would prefer a Western razor. I said tet-a tet is my favourite among them because it doesn't have that synthetic floral scent like Red Moscow and the Cyphre(or something like that) I also have the Napoleon which is refreshing with a touch of mint and citrusy kind of tone to my nose, but the scent lasts very short.

Ah, understood :)

The other colognes I'm waiting for are red Moscow & Chypr... Hopefully I like floral :D

Ah, understood :)

The other colognes I'm waiting for are red Moscow & Chypr... Hopefully I like floral :D
You may like them, they are quite different and to my nose they are not masculine scents. As you mentioned they are inexpensive so not a big loss if they are not used much, However the bottles and labels looks cool, they will look nice in your collection.

I would love to try the various colognes mentioned. I have never had any success with creams where boric acid was an ingredient. The balm includes parabens, so I would pass incase all the hype is true.

Sezer1974 said:
You may like them, they are quite different and to my nose they are not masculine scents. As you mentioned they are inexpensive so not a big loss if they are not used much, However the bottles and labels looks cool, they will look nice in your collection.

My thoughts exactly, how would you describe the Tete-a-Tete?

Sabre said:
I would love to try the various colognes mentioned. I have never had any success with creams where boric acid was an ingredient. The balm includes parabens, so I would pass incase all the hype is true.

Whats the issue with Boric? Do you get an allergic reaction? (Genuinely curious.) Oh, and parabens shmarabens, I use them and I'm fine... Look:

14wdgz9.png

I find them drying and I receive irritation. The main one I can think of is De Vergulde Hand. It's not my looks I am worried about, it's important things like sperm count :D.

Back
Top Bottom