For crying out loud! Even Le Père Lucien is at it now ...

Putting sodding shea butter in their soaps! :eek:

For crying out loud! What is it with sodding shea butter? No! It does not make for a luxurious shave and a smooth post-shave feel! It makes for merry hell for a few days which mushy skin comes back to normal with lashings of highly alcoholic cologne!

Damn it!

There I was just about to make a purchase of their new Abricot soap (I already have this scent as the limited edition UKWSS soap) and noticed sodding shea butter now in the ingredients.

Stop it!

Le Père Lucien is quality soap according to classic French tradition. I slipped up again, buying in some WSP soap (reputed to be following the recipe for a classic French soap ... read: MDC) and yet it arrived and there's blasted shea butter in it - no mention in the ingredients listed on the website I bought it from, but there it is on the tub.

Shaving Time, BTW.

Click on any WSP Rustic soap ... this one, say: https://shavingtime.co.uk/collections/wsp/products/rustic-shaving-soap-fougere-noir-vegan-125g ... "Vegan & Made in America at our food grade workshop located in Chandler, AZ using the following natural & vegan ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Fragrance" ... and 'effing shea butter if you squint at the lid once you'd sodding bought it!

Very chuffing pissed (off) :mad:

Actually, re-checking the Shaving Time website and both the product pages and the pictures DO NOT list shea butter, yet the soaps I received most certainly do and have it listed as an extra ingredient around the edge of the sticker.

I check WSPs site, too, to find the same ... then some blurb "So, I made it better by incorporating shea butter and a ton of awesome scents.". FFS! Why? You copy MDC (which doesn't have shea butter) and f*ck it up entirely by adding that silliness.

... and it's catching!

I blame this kind of behaviour for the good and decent folks over at Le Père Lucien following suit with this terrible notion.

NO! BAD SOAP MAKERS! It's stearic acid, water, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, glycerine and perfume. Got it?

Shea butter ... (muttering).

If I wanted shea butter, I'd ask the Mrs for one of her godawful concoctions. What next? Argan oil?

Huh! I grumbled to the folks at WSP direct ... who inform me they've now fixed their pages.

Well, you didn't fix your soap, did you?

Bah!

Next stop ... Le Père Lucien.

Let's nip this in the bud! Tough on she butter ... tough on the causes of shea butter!

gBchwip.jpg

Putting sodding shea butter in their soaps! :eek:

For crying out loud! What is it with sodding shea butter? No! It does not make for a luxurious shave and a smooth post-shave feel! It makes for merry hell for a few days which mushy skin comes back to normal with lashings of highly alcoholic cologne!

Damn it!

There I was just about to make a purchase of their new Abricot soap (I already have this scent as the limited edition UKWSS soap) and noticed sodding shea butter now in the ingredients.

Stop it!

Le Père Lucien is quality soap according to classic French tradition. I slipped up again, buying in some WSP soap (reputed to be following the recipe for a classic French soap ... read: MDC) and yet it arrived and there's blasted shea butter in it - no mention in the ingredients listed on the website I bought it from, but there it is on the tub.

Shaving Time, BTW.

Click on any WSP Rustic soap ... this one, say: https://shavingtime.co.uk/collections/wsp/products/rustic-shaving-soap-fougere-noir-vegan-125g ... "Vegan & Made in America at our food grade workshop located in Chandler, AZ using the following natural & vegan ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Fragrance" ... and 'effing shea butter if you squint at the lid once you'd sodding bought it!

Very chuffing pissed (off) :mad:
Forgive me for my ignorance, what is it that shea butter does to your skin or your shave?

Forgive me for my ignorance, what is it that shea butter does to your skin or your shave?

It does not make for a luxurious shave and a smooth post-shave feel! It makes for merry hell for a few days which mushy skin comes back to normal with lashings of highly alcoholic cologne!

Some of the best shave soaps have it, e.g., Mike's Natural Soaps & Cold River Soap Works. I have never heard anyone complain about it like this before, but everyone's face is different. ;)

Citing a couple of American soaps (spit) ain't a good example :p

Most of the best soaps ... well, don't.

No, it's just one ingredient that I really, really do not like and I can sense it straight away in the shave and just know it's going to be bad afterwards.

I think what irks me most was ... finally, an American soap I can use (and indeed have enjoyed as samples from Jim at Shave Dash when they clearly were a simpler formula, sans shea butter), now I can't. Until late last night, WSP's own website did not list it in any ingredient roster nor show it on any picture of their product, but are putting out tins of product with a revised ingredient listing for real.

What a crock!

Parody:

"The Story Behind It

When I decided it was time to add a shaving soap to my product line, it needed to lather easily in hard water, be super slick, and protective. I started by looking at the existing options, but only one truly stood out. Considered the holy grail of shaving soap, imitated, but never replicated, Martin de Candre's iconic vegan shaving soap stood out as the king of shaving soap. Some people even considered it the Holy Grail of shaving (it costs $70 per jar). So, I set out to crack the code…

The main complaints about MdC are: it's drying and there are no scent options. So, I made it better by incorporating shea butter and a ton of awesome scents. The result was a soap that lathers as soon as you look at it, that smells great and provides enough cushion & moisture to impress even the most discerning gentleman."

So, I wanted to make the best car in the world ... but rather than re-invent the wheel, I just copied a Porsche. The main negativity about Porsche is that they are sterile and austere, so I fitted some fluffy dice to the rear view mirror and eyelashes to the headlamps.

... you just wouldn't.

Right! I've completely lost perspective on this - it's now a big, big deal and I'm going to both my MP about it ...

Meanwhile, there'll be a couple of tubs of WSP Rustic going onto BST - Barbershop & Black Amber Vanille ... eyes peeled if shea butter is your thing :D

pjgh, you're in the minute minority as regards the soaps I mentioned. The only other person I know of that dislikes Mike's Soaps is Fergiebilly who says it leaves his face greasy. Of course, that's why we have variety. As for me, I think MdC is way overpriced & even more overrated. Give me tallow or give me....................................a beard!!! ;)

As for WSP, I have used both their vegan and their Formula "T" and while good, great they ain't. YMMV.

I rather like the stuff (shea butter, that is) in fact I bought a block of it from Amazon and use it raw on my mush as well as on various other assorted regions of my personage. It sometimes gets mixed with a bit of this or that and gets rubbed into my hair, and if I've been out in the sun for too long it stops peeling and heals the results of my stupidity for falling asleep in the chair in my back garden.

Yup, gotta say I rather favour the stuff. I suppose if I was allergic to it then I'd be irritated if it found its way into my favourite soap or whatever. Must admit I haven't seen too many fellas complaining about it though. Maybe just a minority thing?

Citing a couple of American soaps (spit) ain't a good example :p

Most of the best soaps ... well, don't.

No, it's just one ingredient that I really, really do not like and I can sense it straight away in the shave and just know it's going to be bad afterwards.

I think what irks me most was ... finally, an American soap I can use (and indeed have enjoyed as samples from Jim at Shave Dash when they clearly were a simpler formula, sans shea butter), now I can't. Until late last night, WSP's own website did not list it in any ingredient roster nor show it on any picture of their product, but are putting out tins of product with a revised ingredient listing for real.

What a crock!

Parody:

"The Story Behind It

When I decided it was time to add a shaving soap to my product line, it needed to lather easily in hard water, be super slick, and protective. I started by looking at the existing options, but only one truly stood out. Considered the holy grail of shaving soap, imitated, but never replicated, Martin de Candre's iconic vegan shaving soap stood out as the king of shaving soap. Some people even considered it the Holy Grail of shaving (it costs $70 per jar). So, I set out to crack the code…

The main complaints about MdC are: it's drying and there are no scent options. So, I made it better by incorporating shea butter and a ton of awesome scents. The result was a soap that lathers as soon as you look at it, that smells great and provides enough cushion & moisture to impress even the most discerning gentleman."

So, I wanted to make the best car in the world ... but rather than re-invent the wheel, I just copied a Porsche. The main negativity about Porsche is that they are sterile and austere, so I fitted some fluffy dice to the rear view mirror and eyelashes to the headlamps.

... you just wouldn't.

Right! I've completely lost perspective on this - it's now a big, big deal and I'm going to both my MP about it ...

Meanwhile, there'll be a couple of tubs of WSP Rustic going onto BST - Barbershop & Black Amber Vanille ... eyes peeled if shea butter is your thing :D
Sorry but i'm not really getting you. Is it that your skin is too soft once you've used a soap with it in or that its too oily or irritation, is the shave to dry or too dull. i'm not sure if i'm missing something. Whats the actual thing that is causing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom