First straight shave...coming soon

Right so in the attempt to be super manly, I got my self a vintage crown and sword straight. Seller kindly made it shave ready so thinking of giving it a bash tomorrow. I always wanted to use one after buying a Henckels I never seen before around the same time as getting my DE.

I have also bought a GD, which said it was shave ready but will need that sorted as may need honing too.

I have been using my DE and shavette for the last 3 years, so ready for a new challenge. Any advise would be appreciated..

I still need to order a strop and possible honing stones - any idea which grits I will need.

Well..1st..I Would Forget the Honing Stones & Learn to Shave & Strop..Yeah..Most Don't Listen..There is NO Point on Putting any Razor on a Stone if One Cant Shave & Strop Naturally with an SR..It Just Confuses Folks..That's Like Running before One has Learned to Walk..:)

That Been Said..A Naniwa 12 K Finishing Stone will Maintain a Razor for a Very Long Time that's Been PROPERLY Honed in the 1st Place..For a Full Progression I Use a Naniwa Super Stone 1 K, 3 K, 5 K, 8 K, 12 K Progression..I May use a Higher Grit Natural Finisher After..;)

Some Don't Use the 3 K & Go from the 1 K to the 5 K & that's Fine..But for Beginners I Would Recommend the 3 K in the Progression Cause it Still Falls into the Realms of a Good Bevel Stone from the 1 K..Over 90 % of Honing Errors are on the Bevel Hone & Lower Grit Hones..The 3 K Can Help a Beginner Coming Off the 1 K Stone to Set a Proper Bevel..Its Very Beginner Friendly & it Can Help with Beginner Errors from the 1 K Stone..See the Beginner Advice on this Thread..:D
http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/what-combination-of-stones-do-i-need-to-set-the-bevel.57461/

Billy

Last edited:
Thanks Billy, I was a little worried about the whole honing process.
The shaving is my key goal, as no point in investing in stones if I don't like it or if I prefer my DE
Wise Words..There is Enough on You're Plate Learning to Shave & Strop..When the Time Comes..All You Need to Refresh a Blade & Introduce Honing is 1 Micron Lapping Film to be Honest..I Don't Know Why But it Gets Overlooked By Many..o_O

Its the Equivalent to a 16 K Stone for Pennies & a Sheet Can Last for a Very Long Time..Its as Good a Finishing or Refresh Hone as Any Current Synthetic Stone..Its Probably Easier to Use an All to a Beginner..It has Remarkable Feedback for a Finishing Hone & No Big Deal if Its Not for You at the Price..:D

Billy

Wise Words..There is Enough on You're Plate Learning to Shave & Strop..When the Time Comes..All You Need to Refresh a Blade & Introduce Honing is 1 Micron Lapping Film to be Honest..I Don't Know Why But it Gets Overlooked By Many..o_O

Its the Equivalent to a 16 K Stone for Pennies & a Sheet Can Last for a Very Long Time..Its as Good a Finishing or Refresh Hone as Any Current Synthetic Stone..Its Probably Easier to Use an All to a Beginner..It has Remarkable Feedback for a Finishing Hone & No Big Deal if Its Not for You at the Price..:D

Billy
Would it be something similar to this..
https://www.workshopheaven.com/3m-lapping-film-1-micron-yellow-green-ao-psa.html

So just finished my first shave with the straight.. Surprisingly went a lot better than I thought with new cuts or body parts missing.
The straight seems more forgiving than the shavette, but will take sometime getting use to the larger blade.
I did have a good 5 days growth and took some hacking to get through, did 2 WTG passes and against on the neck but still couldn't get that area as close. Under the nose was also tricky, so a small touch up needed with the DE.
Overall pretty happy, went a hell of a lot better than the first time I used my DE.

So just finished my first shave with the straight.. Surprisingly went a lot better than I thought with new cuts or body parts missing.
The straight seems more forgiving than the shavette, but will take sometime getting use to the larger blade.
I did have a good 5 days growth and took some hacking to get through, did 2 WTG passes and against on the neck but still couldn't get that area as close. Under the nose was also tricky, so a small touch up needed with the DE.
Overall pretty happy, went a hell of a lot better than the first time I used my DE.
Well done Irish , you will never go back to a shavette again. It's just down to practice now, the more you do the better you will get, you will Nick yourself from time to time but that's part of learning, don't let it set you back. :) P.

I ordered a strop for my razor, I went with one of windrose's extra wide leather strops as thought the extra wide would be easier than haven't to also learn the x pattern too.
It looks like it has a smooth side and suede side, and also comes with some chromium oxide paste.
Question, which side of the strop do you use or is it both sides. And whats the deal with the paste.. its all new to me, I'm use to just popping a blade in my DE and away I go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom