First proper shave...

...and I'm only forty! (actually 41 now I come to think of it)

Hi everyone and what a great forum. Thanks to the FAQs, stickies etc. I've been emboldened to take my first step away from the world of Mach 3 and goop, and after spending last week collecting some new toys I have applied lather and blade to face for the first time tonight!

In an attempt to be as ordinary as possible the kit was as follows: Vulfix 404 with Palmolive cream (and cheap ceramic bowl from charity shop), Merkur 34c using the supplied blade (but have a small packet of Wilkinson Sword blades for next time), Nivea balm. I don't think I removed much stubble but at least most of my skin has remained intact...

Welcome. It took me until I was fifty to discover "proper" wet shaving, before that it was a long history of many different cartridges interspersed with some electric shavers and some beard growing.

Now I am a very happy DE and SE shaver with far more razors, blades, soaps/creams, aftershaves and brushes than I actually need. But I would not have it any other way, shaving used to be a chore, now it is pleasure.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome

It took me until I was in my late 40s to see the light. I have shaved almost every day of my adult life and it is, like many others, it is now pleasurable experience and not a chore

Thanks so much everyone, what a friendly bunch (and you really have some stylish avatars...)
Shave number two: three passes, too much pressure, sore neck, a few little blood spots; still the easier parts of my face are really smooth and feel great, and hey I smell nicer than usual. Also Mrs Neural is being pretty supportive and not too sarcastic, which is a bonus.
I will probably stop reporting on every shave now.

Which selection pack should I get from Connaught's?

Thanks so much everyone, what a friendly bunch (and you really have some stylish avatars...)
Shave number two: three passes, too much pressure, sore neck, a few little blood spots; still the easier parts of my face are really smooth and feel great, and hey I smell nicer than usual. Also Mrs Neural is being pretty supportive and not too sarcastic, which is a bonus.

Hi and welcome @neural

May I suggest you try the "Astra SP" razor blade with your Merkur 34c HD.
I also have this razor and the Astra blade works superbly with it. They are highly recommended here!
I too am a relative newbie and there is so much knowledge here.

Obviously you want to experiment but I would not necessarily go for loads of blades. Choose may be 5 different types at a time and decide later.
Hope your wallet is full! :D

Take care and enjoy! :)

Wayne

Glad to hear it's improving. Blades are a very subjective thing but, this is a good selection:
http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-razor-blade-sample-pack-2
I don't like the personna but as they say YMMV. I'd suggest getting a tuck of Astra SP as well.
When you find the blade/s you like shop around for 100.

Back
Top Bottom