First Open Comb Razor

Hello I'm Thinking About Getting My First Open Comb Razor Never Used One Before Only Used Closed Comb One's Any Recommendations ? I'm liking the look of the merkur 25c and I'm staying away from the muhle r41 lol

fatip piccolo - very cool and efficient razor for about 20 quid

Gillette New is a classic and well loved - check bst or the bay

R41 2013 is a very good razor i hear - it's the 2011 beast you may wish to avoid

Gillette old types are great too - need to use a shallow angle but takes no time to get used to them.

overall my recommendation would be a Gillette New - it's a solid classic that can be picked up for very little

@AnthH - As previous commentators have mentioned - although I don't own one - the Fatip gets great reviews. Good value for money but some have raised concerns about the finishing quality and blade alignment issues. My suggestion would be the Ikon Shavecraft 103 Short-comb. I have one and it's not been out my rotation since I got it. You can easily get them in the UK - head only or with a handle. The head will fit any standard thread handle that you might already own. It's the sort of razor you pay attention to when you use it but it gives a glorious shave. Certainly, not as dangerous as the original R41 head. Hope this helps - I

I recently bought the fatip grande, my first open de razor, I'm ok with it now, five or six shaves in, but it deserves a bit of respect after the r89 I'm used too.
I did check out some videos of the fatip on youtube I think it may be to aggressive for my fist try with one but I do like the look of it and I might get one in the future , iv ordered a merkur 25c for my first open comb which some people say is mild

@AnthH - As previous commentators have mentioned - although I don't own one - the Fatip gets great reviews. Good value for money but some have raised concerns about the finishing quality and blade alignment issues. My suggestion would be the Ikon Shavecraft 103 Short-comb. I have one and it's not been out my rotation since I got it. You can easily get them in the UK - head only or with a handle. The head will fit any standard thread handle that you might already own. It's the sort of razor you pay attention to when you use it but it gives a glorious shave. Certainly, not as dangerous as the original R41 head. Hope this helps - I
Hi Digimonkey I went with a merkur 25c as my first open comb but thanks for the suggestion and I will still check it out

The Parker 24C could also be considered. It requires an angle of approximately 45 degrees to the face instead of the usual 30 degrees. However get the angle and the experience is very rewarding. :)
I was looking at the parker 24c last night nice looking razor I watched michael freedbergs video of it on youtube

Hi Digimonkey I went with a merkur 25c as my first open comb but thanks for the suggestion and I will still check it out
@AnthH - nice one - you went for it. I had to look that one up. I don't use that many open-combs in my rotation but there are times when you want to be super-clean shaven. In theory and in practice - open combs leave a bit of your lather on the face between strokes. Helping minimise irritation during the ritual. I don't know but that looks like a facsimile of some old Gillette razor. Other people here will know better. Hope you like it. I

Back
Top Bottom