First class Solingen

Hello str8 shavers,

I'd like to have your opinion on a str8 razor I bought back in 1984 in NY.
It says First class Solingen and it has a serial number.
I sent it to Billy in this forum to be made shave ready as I intend to give straight shaving a go alongside my DE's and SE's, maybe if I like it I'll be won over to straights.
Billy said it's a nice razor and a keeper, so I wonder whether this one would be a good beginner's tool.
I will consider buying a different one if you might care to suggest a more fitting str8 for a beginner, to preserve the Solingen, which comes with memories of my college days.
I must admit, when I first used it out of the box back then, I needed a transfusion,
and a plastic surgery, but on the other hand I didn't know anything else but carts.
Your input please.

Last edited:
Hello str8 shavers,

I'd like to have your opinion on a str8 razor I bought back in 1984 in NY.
It says First class Solingen and it has a serial number.
I sent it to Billy in this forum to be made shave ready as I intend to give straight shaving a go alongside my DE's and SE's, maybe if I like it I'll be won over to straights.
Billy said it's a nice razor and a keeper, so I wonder whether this one would be a good beginner's tool.
I will consider buying a different one if you might care to suggest a more fitting str8 for a beginner, to preserve the Solingen, which comes with memories of my college days.
I must admit, when I first used it out of the box back then, I needed a transfusion,
and a plastic surgery, but on the other hand I didn't know anything else but carts.
Your input please.
You are not going to ruin your razor by using it, there is no such thing as a beginners straight razor.....use it and enjoy it. :)

Any straight can be considered a good starting point for SR use. People tend to deviate from wedges as first SR's, but the main aspect is having it shave ready.

I'd say there's no harm giving it a go and if you get on with it, great! If you feel you need more practice or want a different razor to practice, Billy also hones up ZY straight razors from China, and likens them to current Dovo razors. They're meant to be a great shaver once honed correctly and Billy will do that for sure!

Main thing is to keep it dry to preserve it. Razors last years/decades/centuries so I wouldn't be overly concerned :)

That Vintage NOS 1st Class Solingen You have was One of the Most Pleasurable SRs to Hone..The Grind is Excellent & the Water was Undercutting & Flowing Over the Blade Right Up to the Spine..Its a Great Shaver..Being a 5/8th Round Point its Ideal for a Beginner..o_O

I Also Finished it on a Natural Escher Thuri Stone..The Escher Thuri Edge is as Smooth as Butter & Very Forgiving..It Took a Superb Shaving Edge..:D

Billy

Thank you Billy for the info, I only used it once back in 1984 and put it aside. Probably that's the reason for the good condition.
It's still in the mail, I'll take pictures when it arrives and post them here.
Well..It Hadn't Been Honed that Razor..It was Factory Fresh..No Wonder it was Ruff to Shave with..:D:D:D:D

Billy

straight-razor-first-class-8-solingen_1_f5535d449c5ae790b90520e8fb2ef2ce.jpg

Its Similar to this One with Yellow Scales..o_O

Billy

Back
Top Bottom