First brush re-knot

i'm about to embark on my first brush re-knot. The brush is a Simpson Classic1 synthetic prototype. I find this brush unusable because it is next to impossible to get the knot to splay and I only face lather; however, I do like the handle. In consequence, I plan to re-knot it with a Muhle silver tip fibre V2; I currently own a Muhle silvertip fibre V1, which suits me very well, and I understand the V2 is an even better knot. My question is, is steaming the best way to remove the Simpson knot without damaging the handle? I don't own a dremel, thus if steaming is not the way to go or doesn't work, what are my options? Are there any "tricks of the trade" when it comes to steaming or knot removal in general? Should I cut the knot down to the top of the handle before steaming? When it comes to the new knot, is there an adhesive I can use to set the knot temporarily so that I can fiddle with the loft height? What type of adhesive should I use to set the knot permanently? Working with my hands does not come naturally to me, so I'm a bit apprehensive about screwing up this job; as SWMBO likes to tell our friends, 'I married handsome, not handy.' Your advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There are two ways to do this. The Dremel process is used more for those delicate handles that would be damaged with heat, or for guys that simply like to use power tools and can handle one well:

Last night I followed the instructions set out in the TSN video, but the knot wouldn't budge. Initially I steamed the brush for 30 minutes and couldn't move the knot, so I steamed it for another 30 minutes and still no luck. I could feel a little stickiness on the lower side of the knot just above where it comes out of the handle and the sides of the knot in the handle seem to be free of the sides of the hole in the handle, but the knot remained firmly stuck in place. What next? Today I'll steam it again, but if that doesn't work...?

Question: did you not investigate this on the Internet prior to attempting it?

Yes, I did. I watched videos and read articles suggesting everything from steaming, soaking the knot in vinegar through drilling it out to crushing the knot with a bench vise and ripping the knot out with pliers. Other than continuing to steam the knot I'm not prepared to try these other methods. I was hoping that the experienced brush restorers on this forum could help me out.

Well, perhaps they have used some sort of NASA technology epoxy. Get read to drill.

I don't know about the epoxy, but it's a Simpson brush; do they have a secret epoxy? As for drilling, I don't have much confidence in my ability to wield a drill delicately enough. Perhaps I'll have to send the Classic1 and new knot to a brush maker, but that'll jack my cost substantially.

The replacement knot arrived in today's mail, so I decided to have one more go at removing the old knot from the handle. This time I decided to use our electric food steamer rather than a pot of boiling water. Put the steamer on for 30 minutes; knot wouldn't budge. Not to be deterred I put the steamer on for a further 10 minutes and voila, out pops the knot all in one piece too. Now I'll have to scrape the residue out of the knot hole, and there appears to be a fair amount. After all this effort I hope I don't bugger up either the cleaning out if the knot hole or the setting in of the new knot.:eek: Perseverance has paid off!:D...at least for now.

I use a vice to hold down the knot and grab the handle and pull it away.

3XHDzSy.jpg

1oqSoli.jpg

What are you doing with the knot ;)
I am struggling to remove the residue of the epoxy from the knot hole. It's far tougher than I thought it would be. I've been picking away at it with a myriad of pointy things, but I've made zero real progress. I remain reluctant to use a Dremel or drill due to my lack of manual dexterity in doing such things, but unless I can come up with a more effective method than what I'm doing now I'm afraid that I'll have no option.

You can either use sand paper and wrap in around a dowel, a bit slow but it should get there.
Or a dremel Im afraid, just take it really slow and follow around the hole of the brush.

You can either use sand paper and wrap in around a dowel, a bit slow but it should get there.
Or a dremel Im afraid, just take it really slow and follow around the hole of the brush.
I had thought about the sand paper and dowel method, but after my experience with picking away at the residue with sharp and pointy implements I thought the residue might be too hard. Nevertheless, as with my initial attempts to remove the knot with steam which failed, I shall persevere before resorting to a dremel or drill. What I have learned so far is that if I'm to undertake further re-knots I'll have to develop some skill and confidence with a Dremel.

Back
Top Bottom