Face lathering

Roy

Usual shave today, Rocca, Meißner paste and 1st use Astra blade . Awful! Tugging and uncomfortable . The only thing changed was I lathered in a bowl, instead of my face. Lovely lather created, then painted on my face as seen in some videos. Lathering directly on my face really prepares my face for a great shave. I started again face lathering and shave was superb.

Usual shave today, Rocca, Meißner paste and 1st use Astra blade . Awful! Tugging and uncomfortable . The only thing changed was I lathered in a bowl, instead of my face. Lovely lather created, then painted on my face as seen in some videos. Lathering directly on my face really prepares my face for a great shave. I started again face lathering and shave was superb.
I do both but
It just goes to show how face lathering can be a big part of your prep, bowl lathering works for some people especaly if you work the lather into your beard as if you was face lathering and when doing so I have never torn my face up.......YMMV ect...... :) P.

Last edited:
I had a fair number of Astra duds (and this is from someone who stopped rotating his DE razors a long time ago).

Not saying you are barking at the wrong tree but even a very decent prep can give poor results with a dud blade.

I had my TOBS mixed with the GFT but it's all YMMV on SOTD..

I do a hybrid preparation; prepare lather in the scuttle and then work the brush well into the stubble. The exfoliation and working that brush into the stubble is important for a good shave.

Likewise although only recently gone this way. Found face lathering works wonders whereas before I simply applied straight from the bowl and away I went. As Donald would say 'not good'

Like @Satanfriendly, when I first bowl lathered, I found that I put the lovely lather straight on my face, and wondered why I tore my face up. I knew my DE technique was only just being learnt, but it took me a couple of goes to realise that if I had bowl lathered, I still needed to work it on the face as well.

No shortcuts to a great shave.

Cheers, John

When I first started wet shaving back in 197.....something my kit was a shaving stick, a brush of unknown origin and bristle plus an old post war Gillette (presumably a Tech) that my dad gave me. Technique was to hold the wet stick, attack it with the brush and and work the soap into a lather on the face. The latter is a habit I never stopped doing (except in the 'gel years') and still take time to work the lather, either face or bowl made, into the stubble for at least a minute, maybe more if I'm really enjoying it!

Have to concur with all of the face latherers above; I'm a massive advocate of loading the brush in my bowl / jar, say 10 seconds or so, and then straight to the face. It really helps to stand up my whiskers and also acts as a preliminary exfoliation.

Win win.

Cheers,

Kerry.

+1 for face lathering! Since starting I've not gone back. Not only is it quicker but you can feel when the lather is 'ready'. Atop that, it's less to clean up and forces you to work lather into the bristles as much as possible!

I've also cold water shaved almost exclusively since trying that... but that's a different story for a different day. :D

I'm the same used to bowl lather but now always face lather & it seems to suite my synthetic brushes best.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom