Everready Razor

I bought this on E bay I have very little info on it. I tried shaving with it only did one pass WTG. It seems quite aggressive, maybe I need the top plate almost against face when shaving any advice / info will be appreciated. I know its an Everready it says so on top of the box. Sorry about the quality of the pics.
ER 1.jpg

ER 2.jpg

Thanks

I bought this on E bay I have very little info on it. I tried shaving with it only did one pass WTG. It seems quite aggressive, maybe I need the top plate almost against face when shaving any advice / info will be appreciated. I know its an Everready it says so on top of the box. Sorry about the quality of the pics.
View attachment 27401

View attachment 27403

Thanks
It's a 1912 ER dating from around the 30s , shave with the cap close to your skin and be sure to use a quality blade. I have a few of these and they give me superb shaves.

It's a 1912 ER dating from around the 30s , shave with the cap close to your skin and be sure to use a quality blade. I have a few of these and they give me superb shaves.
I bought the blades from Conaught GEM Personna, I tend to put a little too much pressure on when shaving that could be the problem. It looks in remarkably good condition for a razor of that age, the plating is all intact, might it have been re-plated?

I bought the blades from Conaught GEM Personna, I tend to put a little too much pressure on when shaving that could be the problem. It looks in remarkably good condition for a razor of that age, the plating is all intact, might it have been re-plated?
Good the blades are fine, you don't need any pressure at all so that may be the problem, no I doubt it's been replated, just looked after and kept in its box when not being used .

Most has already been said:
  • A British made Ever-Ready 1912 from the 1930s
  • Designed for stropping blades, but...
  • ... modern blades are fine if ↪shimmed.
  • If shimmed, put the cap flat on your face
  • NO PRESSURE.
  • Nobody would replate a 1912, as they clean up nicely - even if filthy.
  • Read the ↪1912 patent with the razor at hand if you want to appreciate the genius of the design.
  • Enjoy.

I've bought one recently which turned out considerably better than I'd hoped for £5.94 posted! Advert said there was corrosion but it was just some rust residue where the blade had been left in!

As for replating - doubt it by looking at it. They seem to have a decent amount/quality of nickel plating so it holds up pretty well. :) I'm yet to try mine out but cannot wait to do so!

Most has already been said:
  • A British made Ever-Ready 1912 from the 1930s
  • Designed for stropping blades, but...
  • ... modern blades are fine if ↪shimmed.
  • If shimmed, put the cap flat on your face
  • NO PRESSURE.
  • Nobody would replate a 1912, as they clean up nicely - even if filthy.
  • Read the ↪1912 patent with the razor at hand if you want to appreciate the genius of the design.
  • Enjoy.
I must admit that I dont.....shim that is and have always had great shaves from my 1912 but I see the point and my next shave with it will be a shimmed one and I will see if my fantastic shaves with it are even more so .Thanks for posting, any improvement in my shaves is always welcome :) P.

I've bought one recently which turned out considerably better than I'd hoped for £5.94 posted! Advert said there was corrosion but it was just some rust residue where the blade had been left in!

As for replating - doubt it by looking at it. They seem to have a decent amount/quality of nickel plating so it holds up pretty well. :) I'm yet to try mine out but cannot wait to do so!
Who would spend a lot of money to replate a £5.94 razor? :p
I once saw a boxed 1912 for little money at an antiques market. It looked bad. Really bad. Encrusted with muck. After a few sharp intakes of breath and a few muttered incantations of "Oh dear, oh dear!" and "You can't even get blades for this anymore!" I got it for next to nothing.
Less than an hour later it looked as if it had just come out the factory.
They do clean up nicely.

I must admit that I dont.....shim that is and have always had great shaves from my 1912 but I see the point and my next shave with it will be a shimmed one and I will see if my fantastic shaves with it are even more so .Thanks for posting, any improvement in my shaves is always welcome :) P.
If you have a used Twin injector blade use that. Blunt it first.
Otherwise, if you have used regular injector blades - superglue two blunted ones together and use that.
Otherwise use a half the spine of a used GEM blade..
Some people say it doesn't make a difference. It does for me.

I've just bought an ‘American' version (via Ebay) plus some blades from Connaught. Anything to look out for? I believe these are less aggressive than the ‘English' version?
s-l500.jpg

The Shim Works Very Well..But..You Cant Beat the Original Stropping Blades..They are Sharp & Smoother than Any Factory Blade if Proper Sharpened on 1 Micron Lapping Film & 0.5 Chro/Ox Paste & Stropped..:)

Billy
Agreed. But - the OP just bought his first 1912 of the bay. Rather than try and find some still decent stropping blades and go through the sharpening malarkey, I'd recommend using a shimmed (or not) GEM blade to start with. Leave honing and stropping to the advanced connoisseur. :D

These 1912 are fantastic razors, a great piece of classic machinery. Mine has fallen to the floor, got a little bent. After cursing and swearing a little (or a lot), I did my best to set it straight. Fortunately, these are so well built that it went to its original form with little effort, or so I think, as it seems shaves equally well.

And those are great shaves, even though I never tried to shim it, don't know why, as I had already read about it here. Anyway, tomorrow I'll have it tested with a shim.

Thanks one and all for all the info and advice. I'll try shimming the razor once I have a blade that's no longer good enough to shave with.
I'll take everyone's view that the razor hasn't been re-plated but just kept clean.
The stropping blades sound very interesting, but truthfully I'm still learning how to strop my straight razor. One task at a time !
It very definitely feels like a razor that is capable of very good shave, almost half way between a safety razor and a straight razor.

Tried it again this morning, cap virtually on my face no pressure and very carefully. A two pass shave this time. A good shave but more aggressive than I need. Still a lot of stinging with the alum block.
I'll stick at it, maybe I'll give shimming a go!

Back
Top Bottom