Electric shavers....anyone?

Granted, I don't think I would have picked up an electric shaver had it not been this one (Courier by Sir Kenneth Grange, 1963) but I did...and it works and, well, it wasn't terrible at all. It was, in lack of better words, 'fun' - don't think I've used an electric shaver for at least a decade.

Pros:
* Zero mess (no soap to lather or brush to soak - and then clean up) and therefore 'faster'. Pick it up. Shave. Done. Walk away.

Cons:
* Nowhere near as close a shave as I get from wetshaving (could of course also be because of a 53 year old razor).
* Much less of a zen/self pampering experience than you get with wetshshaving.
* Requires a power source (battery or cord).

But even though the Cons significantly outweighs the Pros for me I can actually see some uses for it - granted mostly edge cases - when traveling and/or don't want to create any mess/bring any extra stuff out.

I will never 'go electric' (unless maybe they come out with an artisan machined stainless steel one (sarcastic call-back)).

I'm curious if there are any closet electric shavers out there on this forum. If so come out :)

521f290ef117370887a9497f787fb60e.jpg

Last edited:
I do still have an electric, (well battery to be exact). Due to a large NF1 lump in my chin I can only get so close to it with a DE. If I do nick it, it bleeds more than a normal nick. It is very easy to nick it too. It takes forever to stop and a serious nick could nod in A&E ( Emergency room ). So I do take the electric to the area around it sometimes. But normally an electric is a no no, simply would bring me out in spots.

I do still have an electric, (well battery to be exact). Due to a large NF1 lump in my chin I can only get so close to it with a DE. If I do nick it, it bleeds more than a normal nick. It is very easy to nick it too. It takes forever to stop and a serious nick could nod in A&E ( Emergency room ). So I do take the electric to the area around it sometimes. But normally an electric is a no no, simply would bring me out in spots.

That's a great reason though.

I have an electric (Braun series 7), as I tend to use it on days between wet shaves. As stated, it's zero mess and fast.

That said, the performance of mine has been steadily declining and my face now feels like sand paper by the end of the day.

The Sunday shave has already been switched to a wet shave and if I can find a good brushless cream the Tues/Thurs shaves will go too.

What I'm saying is, wet shaving has ruined other shaves for me!

Electric is how I started shaving in my teens as its the only way I knew as my dad only (and still only) shaves with one.

Never used one for what, 15 years maybe? Went to carts and wet shaving to try and get a better results and then this year to DE.

Bloke on the next desk is a electric shaver and sometimes he looks like he didn't shave that morning but swears blind he did.

You can keep your Brauns, Ronsons and the rest.

What you really need is one of these. 4.5 volt batteries are a little hard to get these days, but you can drop the whole caboodle into the washbasin as you lather up and still avoid a Stan Laurel sticky-up electric hairdo.aPPXT1386.jpg
Some details, and I quote:-

"Siemens Rasier Maschine
Unlike the Klaro, the Siemens SiRaMa (Siemens-Rasier-Maschine) has been a rather popular electric safety razor on the continent of Europe. In 1932 Siemens announced in "Siemens Mitteilungen", the company's house organ, that the company marketed a new shaver. Unlike many other brands in the 1930s the SiRaMa has a real moving blade, so not the complete razor is vibrating, but only the blade. A triangular spindle, driven by a very small real motor, pushed the razorblade slightly to and fro. The razor took power from a 4.5 Volt battery (in a separate box) to prevent electric shocks from the mains. With the razor Siemens also marketed a blade sharpener. The razor was based on a patent of Georg Biniek of Berlin (DE) and has been manufactured until about 1938."

Last edited:
I have a braun3 which gets used midweek sometimes when I'm lacking time. It doesn't get as close as a blade, but it takes 5mins max and does the job for the following day at work.

I bought a half decent Philips one a while back as an attempt to relieve the irritation I got from cartridges. It was crap, especially if I had more than one day's growth, had to go over the same area again and again and it made my skin really dry.

To put it into context, I went back to cartridges as the lesser of two evils.

If only I'd known about DE razors...

I have a Philashave too, just a cheapish three rotor one. I use it for smartening up between wet shaves or when in a hurry. It is a comvenience item to me. I don't really enjoy a dry electric shave though never tried a wet electric shave.

I bought a half decent Philips one a while back as an attempt to relieve the irritation I got from cartridges. It was crap, especially if I had more than one day's growth, had to go over the same area again and again and it made my skin really dry.

I never got on with the Philishave things, the Braun foils were a revelation when I tried the first one I had (a series 5), back when I was using the Mach 3 + goo combo.

I also had a half decent Philips a few years back. I could never get a good shave from it. I think I only gave it a few shaves. I think the best thing about it was the attachment for sideburns.

Back
Top Bottom