Edwin Jagger/Muhle Silvertip Synthetic XL

Hi Guys,

I am considering purchasing one the these brushes with the xtra large 25mm knot. Appreciated feedback from any owners out there. I hear they have decent backbone & are the current bench mark in synthetics.

I have both the EJ and Muhle XL synthetics and have Plissoft, Ubersoft and more to benchmark against. Firstly apart from the handles, both of which are very comfortable in the hand, there is nothing choose between the two in my opinion.

The knots although nominally 25mm, are more like Plissoft 26mm knots in terms of effective size; albeit with more comfortable handles. They are a fraction less soft than Plissoft, but still very soft in reality. Backbone and density to me are ideal, enough to be effective, but not so much as to inhibit splaying, which can limit circular motions and usage with softer soaps. On balance in my opinion they are the best synthetic brushes on the market although in terms of overall value it could be argued overpriced a little.

I have three Muehle brushes - two in 23mm, which are in constant rotation, and 25mm with a customer handle. Usually more inclined to use 23mm, but that 25mm know is fine nevertheless.

P.S. anybody knows if they have upgraded their fibers in the recent years? Although ones I have are close to perfect.

I have three Muehle brushes - two in 23mm, which are in constant rotation, and 25mm with a customer handle. Usually more inclined to use 23mm, but that 25mm know is fine nevertheless.

P.S. anybody knows if they have upgraded their fibers in the recent years? Although ones I have are close to perfect.

AFAIK there was an upgrade to improved V2 fibres about 2 years ago.
I've used both V1 and V2 and the difference is not great.

I've heard very good things about the EJ XL but unfortunately I'm petty, I find the handles ugly and the "Edwin Jagger" brand name tacky sounding...

Will be interested in your findings, whichever one you go for.

Do you find the 25mm knot a bit too large & cumberson? I am torn between the 23mm large & 25mm XLarge!! I do have a 27mm knot in my Simpsons Chubby but it feels smaller than that.

I have both the EJ and Muhle XL synthetics and have Plissoft, Ubersoft and more to benchmark against. Firstly apart from the handles, both of which are very comfortable in the hand, there is nothing choose between the two in my opinion.

The knots although nominally 25mm, are more like Plissoft 26mm knots in terms of effective size; albeit with more comfortable handles. They are a fraction less soft than Plissoft, but still very soft in reality. Backbone and density to me are ideal, enough to be effective, but not so much as to inhibit splaying, which can limit circular motions and usage with softer soaps. On balance in my opinion they are the best synthetic brushes on the market although in terms of overall value it could be argued overpriced a little.
Do you find the 25mm knot a bit too large & cumberson? Im torn between between XL & L 23mm!!

Do you find the 25mm knot a bit too large & cumberson? I am torn between the 23mm large & 25mm XLarge!! I do have a 27mm knot in my Simpsons Chubby but it feels smaller than that.
Well, the problem is that with 25mm I have a custom handle made of aluminium and brass (made by one of our Scottish members), and it's quite heavy. So yes, I do find it cumbersome, but maybe it's better in acrylic due to weight, so can't tell for sure. But what I can tell for sure is that 23mm does the job perfectly :) Haven't used my fancy silvertips since getting it. Now thinking to procure 24mm Razorock brush out of curiosity (also it's very good looking and cheap as chips), lots of good reviews on those. But I've got a feeling it won't be any different to my old Muehle.

FW1LSWpuRFY.jpg

Well, the problem is that with 25mm I have a custom handle made of aluminium and brass (made by one of our Scottish members), and it's quite heavy. So yes, I do find it cumbersome, but maybe it's better in acrylic due to weight, so can't tell for sure. But what I can tell for sure is that 23mm does the job perfectly :) Haven't used my fancy silvertips since getting it. Now thinking to procure 24mm Razorock brush out of curiosity (also it's very good looking and cheap as chips), lots of good reviews on those. But I've got a feeling it won't be any different to my old Muehle.

FW1LSWpuRFY.jpg

That Sir, is GORGEOUS !

I have the 24mm Razorock brush & for the money you can't go far wrong. However after a months use the centre of the knot at the top has developed a "corn circle" type hole but it still works ok. What it will be like in a years time is anyones guess.
FW1LSWpuRFY.jpg

I have the MÜHLE 25mm stfv2 & this brush really takes you to the limit of backbone & firmness of synthetic brushes, without taking it too far & not splaying & losing softness.

I love mine equally as I love my Plisson synth. 2 different brushes producing different experiences.

That's the same experience I have with Muhle 25 mm and Plissoft 24 mm. Having to choose only one, I probably shall go for the plissoft. I suggest also to consider the RazoRock 400 in black, which in my opinion outperforms both brushes

Back
Top Bottom