Doubling Down

The other day I met up with my local shave buddy where we discuss wet shaving and borrow/trade stuff. Worse than two old hens I tell ya. :rolleyes: ;) Regardless, he mentioned something that has been gnawing away at me ever since: "ratholing" away a duplicate of your favorite modern razor just in case they quit making it and you have an accident with yours or something simply breaks. Now obviously I am not talking about say a Gillette Tech, of which there are literally millions extant, but one of the new avant-garde type razors such as my buddy has done with his SE General razor. He loves this model so much that he has "ratholed" another away as a backup just in case. This got me to thinking about my PAA Prismatic DE that I practically worship and the fact that it has a zamak head. :eek: ;) Nightmares of stripped threads & sheared studs came knocking and I am really thinking about "ratholing" away another one.......................................or two. It's not the mere fact that it has zamak parts so much as that combined with the fact that I know they won't be making them forever. I keep it cleaner than a hound's tooth and even lube the threads with glycerin each use, but one can never discount the fickle finger of fate. :oops:

What sayeth thou?

Last edited:
Good idea, I have three Supply SE razors (V2s) two normal and one polished , I have an idea in my head about getting one of the satin stainless steel ones rose gold plated . I like them that much!
My other Supply (V1) is out on Pass-Around so I have four really but I will be selling the Pass-Around Supply when it has finnished it's trip around the forums . I was thinking at one time to get a second Brass Hone because I like that lots too.. A bit obsessive I know but I am what I am! :) If I get the chance to pick up another Pal adjustable I will , I like them as much as my Supply SE!

Last edited:
Guilty as charged.
This "logic" can be applied to older razors too.

I have a shaver grade Fatboy bought from a fellow member & liked it so much I've since bought a mint one that I've squirreled away.

Use the shaver grade most days.

i have a lot of DE razors, including variations of a type but i haven't bought the same razor as back up. i don't think one razor is "the grail". there'll always be something to scrape your face with - is the experience with your fave that much better?

i have a lot of DE razors, including variations of a type but i haven't bought the same razor as back up. i don't think one razor is "the grail". there'll always be something to scrape your face with - is the experience with your fave that much better?

That depends, IMO. If it's a razor that is quite common or built like a tank then no. The only DE razor I like even having different variations of is the Tech, but that is not not based on fear, but mere variety. As to whether something is "better" is subjective as I'm sure you well know. It's when better and rarity/availability meet that is the dilemma.

I seem to have acquired a lot of Gillette Tech razors, several of which I haven't used. But as has already been said, there is no shortage of Techs.

I've got a slightly different problem - I have some nice things which I am loathe to use. I've got a birth-quarter Slim Adjustable, the only one for my birthday (M3) I've seen for sale and which is currently in NZ being restored, and I have mixed feelings about whether I will use that once it comes back, in case I drop it or something. I've got a mint condition Two Tix set with unused soap, brush and razor, and apart from feeding the leather to keep it supple I don't use it. It won't be mint if the paper is peeled off the soap, or if the brush is used. It looks a pretty manky brush anyway.

So my issue is: if I have nice things, I don't want to use them. That seems a bit silly, because I don't intend to be a collector and bought things with the intention of using them.

I seem to have acquired a lot of Gillette Tech razors, several of which I haven't used. But as has already been said, there is no shortage of Techs.

I've got a slightly different problem - I have some nice things which I am loathe to use. I've got a birth-quarter Slim Adjustable, the only one for my birthday (M3) I've seen for sale and which is currently in NZ being restored, and I have mixed feelings about whether I will use that once it comes back, in case I drop it or something. I've got a mint condition Two Tix set with unused soap, brush and razor, and apart from feeding the leather to keep it supple I don't use it. It won't be mint if the paper is peeled off the soap, or if the brush is used. It looks a pretty manky brush anyway.

So my issue is: if I have nice things, I don't want to use them. That seems a bit silly, because I don't intend to be a collector and bought things with the intention of using them.
This is just me but I have never seen the point of having somthing with a use and not using it, whatever it may be it was made to be used and I get enjoyment out of using something if it is in mint condition or very expensive but we are all different so you do what makes you happy :)

Back
Top Bottom