Dorco pl-602

Just got one of these to use as a travel razor - I've used it every day for a week, and am really impressed. It's very cheap, light, won't win any awards for appearance, but I've found it mild and quite effective. Won't give a BBS every time, but I've been very happy with it.

I've got one, but it's still in the packaging. I should really get it out and give it a go some time.

I saw somewhere that the design allows a small degree of "adjustability", by undoing the handle to suit. I guess that's the purpose of the "pips" at the top of the handle, which presumably can be indexed against the marks on the top section; although there are no reference numbers to go back to. I daresay it wouldn't be too hard to scratch some on it.

It certainly seems to be the leading contender for the title of "World's Lightest Modern DE Razor".

1/8 to 1/4 turn is the most before the baseplate loosens.
I don't think I'd be too happy using something that adjusted like this anyway (when slacked off). At least with adjustable Merkurs and Gillettes (and clones) there are powerful springs or detents to control the adjustment.

I've had one or two nasty moments when, through my own lack of attention, I haven't properly tightened up a razor, and the head has slightly unwound itself. The mid-shave auto-adjustment was alarming, to say the least and, whilst the Dorco probably wouldn't do this, my motto here here is "once bitten, twice shy".

I have had one for a few years and have only used it a few times out of curiosity. I have fiddled with loosening the handle and it does cause more aggression via more blade gap. That said, where light razors excel (at least for me) is that you can shave the mouth & chin area with less care than with heavier razors if you use a light hand, the Feather Popular being another example as such. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom