Do I need a full suit of honing stones?

Never having used a straight razor before I treated myself to a Dovo Bismarck for Christmas.... and love it! I use it every day and strop it each time I use it. It's approaching the stage where it needs to see a honing stone though. (It feels like its dragging on my face more than it did, especially around my chin.)

So the question is, do I need to purchase a full suit of stones (say, 3k, 6k, 8k 10k)? OR could I simply use a 10k or 12k stone once a week to keep the razor closer to its keenest edge all the time?

Thanks for any advice. At the age of 49 I feel like I've just learnt to shave 'properly', or at least care about shaving. Who knew eh!

That Depends..I Am Speaking from Experience on Receiving Many New Dovo Razors to Hone for Folks Whom have Been Claiming to Shave with Em..NONE were Honed to Shave Ready in the 1st Instance..;)

They Dont Come Shave Ready from the Factory..The Seller Needs to Hone Em..Few Sellers Hone Em Properly..So..In that Case they Need a Bevel Set & Full Progression..o_O

If it Was Honed Properly by the Seller then a 12 K Naniwa Super Stone is All You Need to for a Refresh Hone..A 12 K Super Stone & 0.5 Chro/Ox Paste will Maintain a PROPER Shave Ready SR Almost Indefinitely in Capable Hands..:)

A Lot of Guys Dont Know what a Proper Shave Ready SR Feels Like in the 1st Place..If You Want it Checked Out You are Welcome to Send it Up to Me..The Chances are it was Never Honed Properly in the 1st Instance..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Thank you Fergiebilly. I would be one of the guys who doesn't know what a proper shave ready SR should feel like. I bought the Bismarck from Smooth & Groomed but don't know if it was honed by them before sending it to me. I'll ask!

Thanks for the reply, very clear and makes perfect sense. :)

Thank you Fergiebilly. I would be one of the guys who doesn't know what a proper shave ready SR should feel like. I bought the Bismarck from Smooth & Groomed but don't know if it was honed by them before sending it to me. I'll ask!

Thanks for the reply, very clear and makes perfect sense. :)
I Can Tell Ya for a Fact..They are Not Honed by this Vendor..I have had a Number Sent to Hone from this Seller..He Makes No Claims to that Effect Either..The Vendor Says..;)

The razor is supplied in a sealed box, shave-ready by German master craftsmen..:cool:

In Other Words Factory Finished..Not Honed to Shave Ready Regardless of what he Tells Ya..:D

Billy

Now I think about it Fergiebilly, the box was still factory sealed when I go it, so there's the answer.:( With that in mind, what do you suggest to bring the Bismarck upto its full shave ready potential. Thanks again. :)

So the question is, do I need to purchase a full suit of stones (say, 3k, 6k, 8k 10k)? OR could I simply use a 10k or 12k stone once a week to keep the razor closer to its keenest edge all the time?
If you decide to buy set of honing stones, you better get 1K-5K-8K-12K .Naniwas are very good and if you get combination stone, obviously it will be cheaper than buying individually for example instead of buying 1K and 5K as two separate stones, would be cheaper to buy 1K and 5K stuck together.

Back
Top Bottom