Custom scales for Kai Captain shavette

_DSC2511.jpg

Custom scales for Kai Captain shavette, seemed like a fun project but so far more failure than fun. Currently not on speaking terms with original fastening hardware. One option is pivot pin, 1/8 inch might work, but they are hard to find in Sweden. Next idea is traditional pin and washers, but then I probably need to do something first about the 4 mm hole in tang.

View attachment 32694

Custom scales for Kai Captain shavette, seemed like a fun project but so far more failure than fun. Currently not on speaking terms with original fastening hardware. One option is pivot pin, 1/8 inch might work, but they are hard to find in Sweden. Next idea is traditional pin and washers, but then I probably need to do something first about the 4 mm hole in tang.
How might you go about filling and drilling? P.

_DSC2512.jpg
On my way towards goal 1 ie pivot pin design: drilled hole in scales: ordered 1/8 inch pivot pin and of course they did not have any washers that fit and my guess is a 5 mm outer diameter/2,2 inner diameter washer would add holding power to the rather small screw so time to search for washers (my luck probably looking at another 4 pounds plus 5 pounds shipping :) )

Last edited:
shing chan: No pics of your work on straight razors and it did not happen :)
Imgur isn't working for me so no pics, luckily, I am making some washers with 1/8 holes and 10mm OD, let me know if they are suitable. They will be 0.25mm thick but I can do 0.5mm thick ones as well. They should be ready at the end of this week because I need to wait for a part. I have a pic of the razors I have made here from FB

26804423_10208013866704085_3964645042269057333_n.jpg

_DSC2515.jpg
Scales thinned to about 1/8 inch and split, hopefully removing leftover glue will not be too hard. Then time to work on a wedge, hardest part in making scales, going to try ebony this time.

Last edited:
_DSC2517.jpg
This is my second try at wedge after a total failure on first outing but I have spotted a problem: with only a classic wedge, blade will probably get marked by scales after a while so need to make an extra pin of some sort that will do the actual stopping under tang. (should have known because original scales do no rely on wedge as a stopper)

Back
Top Bottom