Convert Me. . .

Hi, first post here. Found the site whilst googling my shaving problems! I'm Dave and I'm a cartridge user <dons tin hat and hides in corner>

I like to be clean shaven and get easily irritated by stubble. I'm a long term cart user, and for years used Wilkinson Sword Protector 3D Diamond (think they're just called 'Protector 3' now) carts. I can't say I had a problem as such with the shaves, perhaps as I'd used them for so long I fancied a change, thought that technology must have moved on in the 20 years I'd been using a 3-blader and/or was sucked in by marketing, but I somehow ended up buying a Gillette Fusion Flexball Proglide Power razor. All the stuff it boasted seemed pretty good. . . until I saw the state of my face and the price of a pack of 4 carts! I'm not really sure why I've persevered with the stupid things for so long (about 5 months) but during said time I seem to have constant burn, bumps & ingrown hairs under my jawline - on the chin and to the sides to of it. Like a red rash that just won't go away. I don't recall my face ever looking like that whilst using 3-bladers, and it's only really through the internet that I've realised it's the 'multi blade madness' of these 5-bladers that is highly likely to be causing my problems. I've been using the 'Chill' version of the Fusion carts which are meant to lubricate before & after slicing your face. I've been getting 8-10 shaves out of one before changing, but it pains me to throw away £3.75 every time I chuck one out and pay £15 a month for a 4 pack when I'm not even getting a decent result out of them.

For years I used the WS Protector 3-blade carts without even any pre-shave face wash prep or moisturiser or anything like that, just what I believe this community calls 'canned goo' Nivea sensitive shave gel & then same ASB afterwards. I've tried all sorts whilst trying to stick with these 5 blade Fusions: adding Nivea face wash & moisturiser to the arsenal, going a day or two each week without shaving in the hope that things will clear up, but still I get the rash burn, bumps & ingrowers. I'm probably pushing it getting the 8-10 shaves from a cart anyway, I think others may change after half that, but then that's doubling the cost and I'm not sure it would help that much anyway, as I used my old carts for weeks at a time without issue.

So, given that I am getting dreadful value for money for a crap shave, what do you suggest as the way forward? In the meantime I've just come back from holiday and couldn't wait to dig out my old WS razor & a fresh 3-blade Protector cart upon my return. The relief felt immense upon returning to the old friend, and just one day in the redness & bumps have begun to fade. To me this confirms that the Fusion 5-blade carts are no good for me. So I am pretty much ready to bin the face shredders and am debating whether to stick with the faithful old WS 3's or make a total change to DE shaving - something I have never done once before.

So, a few questions:

Is 5 blades really too many? (I've probably already answered this, for me personally anyway) & why are the Fusion carts so popular (they seem to be everywhere) if they're not actually that good? Marketing I guess !

Would I really notice a big difference from a more traditional 3-blade cart to DE shaving?

Time is not a massive issue for me, I am happy to take my time to get a good shave. Initially I'd like to save money from buying extortionate carts, but from what I've perused on here so far, I may end up spending the same or more on DE shaving anyway! So, I may not save much in the long run but will be happy to invest in stuff if the end result is pleasing!

Any advice and/or tips on basic DE startup kit appreciated. Sorry if this was a bit long-winded but this has been stressing me out for a couple of months & I'm just pleased to have found a place where I can get help!

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Last edited:
Hello Dave, welcome. Changing to DE shaving could save you lots of money........you don't need to fall down the rabbit hole, it's up to you.
A good razor like a Muhle R89 plus a brush of your choice, badger, boar or Synthitic its up to you, some shave soap, you don't need to spend much, a stick of Palmolive shave soap will do the job and you will need some blades, a good start would be Astra SP blades. I expect you use an after shave product already so stick with that if you like.
Watch some YouTube tutorials on shaving with a DE razor and give it a go, it's addictive so be careful, spend only what you need to spend, stick with the same razor and soap and you will save money and you will get better shaves although at first it will take you a little longer to shave properly but you will speed up as you learn.
The most important thing I can say is let the razor do the work and apply no pressure to the razor, good skin prep is important but you will learn all of this from YouTube and from threads on this forum.
Well done , the next step is yours......
:) Paul.

Hi & very welcome Dave. Are 5 blades too many ? Well, any amount beyond 2 are enough to get this old duffer's face resembling how you describe yours ! From what you say it's fairly obvious what the problem is as the signs and symptoms are ceasing to present and gradually recovering now you're back with the original cart. My personal take is that a decent shaving soap ( Palmolive, stick or cream, is cheap as chips from most supermarkets ) and a brush will improve your shaves beyond imagination. As already mentioned an Edwin Jagger R89 safety razor is probably all the razor anyone needs if it's just a comfortable, close shave which is needed. It's about the only DE I use myself these days. Only word of caution I'd give is that if you go down the DE route after years of using carts you'll have to be very light handed. Far less pressure than you get away with when using the carts.
Carry on meantime m8, let tye face heal up whilst you mull over the options and please don't be a stranger.

JohnnyO. o/

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. I cannot add much to the already good advise you have had except please do not come into the wonderful world of wet shaving expecting to save money over carts. Almost all of us in this looney bin were where you are now and we mostly came looking for cost saving and better shaves.
Yes DE shaving will save you money and give you better shaves but only if you buy a decent razor such as the Muhle R89, 100 decent blades for around £6.00 each will give 3-4 great shaves, a decent synthetic brush that needs no looking after for about a tenner and a Palmolive shave stick for around 50p. So spend around £30 and then run for the hills 'cos if you stick around here you will empty the bank account in no time at all.
;)

There's a razor that's been under some huge scrutiny here which can be bought on AliExpress from china. Takes a couple of weeks to deliver but it's adjustable so you can make it as aggressive or not as you please. I would say I can lend you mine but for £5.50 or so delivered from China, the postage to you and back from you comes to that sort of price anyway...

As others have mentioned if you want to go DE an EJ89, Palmolive stick, Astra SP blades and a synthetic brush will get you up and running with everything you need for not a lot of outlay. The EJ89 often gets regarded as a starter razor but TBH it's all you need, the only reason mine doesn't get more use is that I'm a whore for shiny things and tend to favour my stainless razors.

Welcome!:cool: I think I'd suggest avoiding making both the change from aerosol gel to soap/cream and brush AND the change from a cartridge razor to a DE razor at the same time. Both changes require practice and the development of new muscle momory, and I do wonder whether some of us took longer to get the hang of traditional shaving than we might have done due to trying to learn both skill sets at once. Given that you have a cartridge razor that you know and you can use without having to concentrate on your technique, I'd suggest switching from canned gel to soap or cream and a brush first. Lathering is something you need to work at to get consistently right, as, if you make the lather too thin and watery, it'll fade on your face and won't provide any cushioning or protection, but, if you make it too dry and dense, the razor won't glide and it'll feel as though you're ripping hairs out of your face rather than cutting them.

As regards what to go for, most high street chemists stock the Palmolive soap stick, and, though it isn't an especially high-quality brush, if you have a branch of the Body Shop in your area, they do a cheap wood handle synthetic hair brush that will give you an opportunity to practice lathering.

My only other tip would be that you need to 'map' your beard growth. In order to do this, you need to wait until you have 1-2 days' growth, and spend some time gently stroking your hand over every part of the area you shave, paying particular attention to the neck (a common problem area). You need to feel which direction your beard's grain lies on different parts of your face and neck and you'll tell which way that is when you find the direction in which your growth feels roughest, as that direction will be 'Against The Grain', or 'ATG', in other words, 180 degrees from the direction in which your beard grain lies. This is important, as, if and when you do get into single blade shaving (DE, SE (single edge), shavette (replaceable-blade straight razor) or full straight razor) this becomes vitally important due to the need to make your first shaving pass follow the grain exactly (with the grain or WTG), with subsequent passes going across the grain at 90 degrees to its direction (XTG), and only then going against the grain (if at all - many of us cannot go ATG as it causes weepers and/or ingrowns like those you've experienced with your five-bladed monstrosity:p). While following this system isn't as important with a cartridge razor, given that each stroke is effectively performing three shaving passes (one pass per blade with three blades), it's always a good idea to use cartridges with the grain as the fact that they have multiple blades means that going against the grain can cause damage anyway.

Finally, I'd recommend viewing a few videos - here are some I rate as overviews of the basics.
These first two videos are from a Canadian chap and are lengthy but comprehensive:

These are from Mark Herro, AKA mantic59:

All I'd say regarding the brushes video is that, since Mark made that video, the quality of the upper-end synthetics has improved dramtically, though cheap synthetics are still as he describes.
Many seem to like the videos by 'Geofatboy', and, if you prefer someone whose manner is a touch more 'matey' and energetic, you might prefer his videos to mantic's, but I find him somewhat overbearing. There are plenty of newer Youtube shavers nowadays, including some British ones, like the chap who does this video on beard mapping:

Last edited:
In my opinion Wilkinson Sword Boar brush would be a much better choice than Body Shop's synthetic brush. Also don't bother buying Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in Blue tub as it is a complete waste of time and money.
Good point - I wondered whether the OP might want a synthetic brush rather than animal hair. Anyway, isn't the Wikie a synthetic brush as well? I had one for a brief period several years back and it seemed to be a cheap synthetic to me.
My understanding ws that the blue bowl soap was no longer available to confuse and put-off new traditional shavers with its inability to generate useable lather. IMO, the Wilkinson soap stick, which is actualy blue as opposed to being a white cake soap in a blue tub, is pretty good, and, of course, the OP could go for the Palmolive Classic shaving cream, which, scent aside, is superb, as is Body Shop's Maca Root cream which has a scent that divides opinion (I hate it) but which lathers superbly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom