Continue with a shavette or go to SR?

I have been DE shaving for a few years, 6 or so, can't actually remember.

I received a shavette free with an order of bits and pieces a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it but did try using it eventually. With mixed results, I kept going back to it occasionally and now use it at weekends or when I have a little more time. I'm not proficient really as I now realise I have been doing some things wrong from the beginning but do like the shave I generally get from it.

Reading here a bit I'm wondering if I should try a true straight razor rather than messing around occasionally with what seems to be a bit of a poor cousin.

What are your thoughts? I would like to learn this properly but readily admit I'm more likely to clean up quickly with a DE at the moment when time is tight.

I received a shavette free with an order of bits and pieces a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it but did try using it eventually. With mixed results, I kept going back to it occasionally and now use it at weekends or when I have a little more time. I'm not proficient really as I now realise I have been doing some things wrong from the beginning but do like the shave I generally get from it.

Reading here a bit I'm wondering if I should try a true straight razor rather than messing around occasionally with what seems to be a bit of a poor cousin.

What are your thoughts? I would like to learn this properly but readily admit I'm more likely to clean up quickly with a DE at the moment when time is tight.
I think you should push the boat out and get a proper straight, it's ok to use your DE when time is tight, there are no rules! Just use the straight when you have the time, I had a dovo shavette and hated it, a straight razor is a different animal altogether and imo far safer than a shavette that uses half DE blades. I also have a Feather Artist club SS kamisori which is also great to use. The choice is your's :)

So it's significantly different to using a half DE blade shavette.
If I were to get a SR, and a strop so it's useable, is an off the shelf Dovo useable or does any new razor need to be cleaned up before use?
At this stage I'm not interested in buying an ebay cheapie and always wondering if it's any good.

Like Paul said, there are no rules. I mix my shaves like a mix my soaps, I like the variety.

I was advised not to invest in an expensive strop as a first strop cause you will probably cut it when learning to strop, that was sound advise.

Get a shave ready from one SR hone masters here..... @Fergiebilly would sort you out in that department and his general advise is very helpful too. I got a brand new Dovo for father's day and it wasn't quite shave ready but a simple refreshing on my finishing stone made a world of difference.

One further piece of advise from my own experience..... I found it hard to remember, 6 or 7 shaves down the line, how it felt to shave with a properly shave ready straight razor..... I bought another straight razor around that time that enabled me to compare straight razors...... rather than blaming my stropping I needed to concentrate more on the shaving technique. In my mind, at the time, I was not getting good results off the strop.

I absolutely enjoy shaving with a SR but find the maintenance a bit tedious. I need to look into the Feather professional SS shavette I think :)

I too mix my shaves, DE, SE, shavette, straight. I have a Feather shavette which works very well and isn't too critical when compared to a Parker which has been used once and shelved.

I think my preference is for straight razor shaving, but I do have trouble keeping a sharp enough edge on them.

Get a feather artist club SS [emoji16]

So it's significantly different to using a half DE blade shavette.
If I were to get a SR, and a strop so it's useable, is an off the shelf Dovo useable or does any new razor need to be cleaned up before use?
At this stage I'm not interested in buying an ebay cheapie and always wondering if it's any good.
Brand New Dovo SRs Need Honed..Most Vendors Do NOT Hone them Wither they Say they are Shave Ready or Not..I have a Number of Vintage Shave Ready SRs Available..3 of them are NOS & Never Been Used..PM Me if You are Interested..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom