Cleaning synthetic brushes

I cleaned my Big Bertha the other day in vinegar and washing up liquid like I used to do with my boar. That said, I don't think it really needed it.

Is it just me or is another advantage of synthetic brushes that they don't need to be cleaned that much because they do not absorb anything?

I cleaned my Big Bertha the other day in vinegar and washing up liquid like I used to do with my boar. That said, I don't think it really needed it.

Is it just me or is another advantage of synthetic brushes that they don't need to be cleaned that much because they do not absorb anything?
You could be on to something there although if someone was really lazy and didn't give it a good rinse after each use you may still get soap scum build up at the knot base. :) P.

Every month or so I wash them in dish soap with vigorous agitation followed by a dunk and agitation in vinegar. The latter "bath" brings 'em back to NIB condition. ;)

As above, simple to clean. I've found that it's easier to spot when there's still soap present between bristles with the synthetics vs badger brushes. Once the soap is gone, I tend to 'strop' till fairly dry and leave to air dry thereafter. Happy days.

I just love how easy synths are.

A mate was looking to buy a shaving brush, and wanted my advice on this badger and that badger. I said "Mate, the new wave is synthetics". He just couldn't get his head around that; wanted the old school badger etc. Which is fine, and each to their own, but I could see he felt that synthetic was associated with cheap and nasty when it is only the former that is true.

I just love how easy synths are.

A mate was looking to buy a shaving brush, and wanted my advice on this badger and that badger. I said "Mate, the new wave is synthetics". He just couldn't get his head around that; wanted the old school badger etc. Which is fine, and each to their own, but I could see he felt that synthetic was associated with cheap and nasty when it is only the former that is true.
In 100 years or so Synthitic brushes will be seen as old school or traditional but for now if you want traditional or old school it's badger or boar. :) Or Horse.

For most people goo in a can is new school and any brush - synthetic or not - is old school. Not in a hundred years, but right now.
Most people are wrong then, when I think old school I think what Grandad used to shave with when he was alive. Imo. Edit ,shaving with goo in a can is not traditional shaving, it's modern and so are Synthitic brushes so can not be seen as old school. Again imo.

Last edited:
Most people are wrong then, when I think old school I think what Grandad used to shave with when he was alive. Imo. Edit ,shaving with goo in a can is not traditional shaving, it's modern and so are Synthitic brushes so can not be seen as old school. Again imo.
So stainless steel razors are not old school razors. Fair enough. I agree.
My dad is in his eighties and has used an electric razor most of his life. Old school.
Electric razors are very old school. Here's an 1898 patent: http://razors.click/patents/US616554/patent/
:D

So stainless steel razors are not old school razors. Fair enough. I agree.
My dad is in his eighties and has used an electric razor most of his life. Old school.
Electric razors are very old school. Here's an 1898 patent: http://razors.click/patents/US616554/patent/
:D
I'm not disputing that electric razors are not a " modern " invention am I? Odd that you should bring that into the conversation ! Shaving goo which you bought up came about in the late 1940s but it was not taken up by everyone, many saw it as a fad and carried on using their sticks of shaving soap realising that it did not do as good a job. It was only in the late 50s - early 60s that shaving foam cornered the market. People have been shaving for 5000 years or more so I do not see canned goop as old school, I see it as a " modern " invention along with Synthitic brushes. A three peice razor/ straight razor a stick of shaving soap and a badger ,boar or horse hair brush I see as old school! That is my opinion. As for your dad using an electric razor, all well and good , I didn't say that wasn't old school, did I ? :)

A synthetic brush is de facto "old school" in application, but de jure in reality. The same applies to modern "boutique" design SE/DE razors whatever the metal used. ;)

Back
Top Bottom