Cleaning and polishing gold plating

Right so picked this little number up for the Mrs on ebay as she keeps moaning about her cartridge razor and recent razor rash.

Would like some info on best way to clean and polish it up a little, it already seems in good condition.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l400 (2).jpg
    s-l400 (2).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 31
I found these tips on a German website. Translated with google. Please do this on your own risk.

Washing-up liquid, toothbrush, toothpaste: These things everyone has in the house. For gentle cleaning, a small amount of washing-up liquid is dissolved in warm water. To soften the gold jewelery briefly, then carefully work with a very soft toothbrush. Stubborn stains dissolve with brush and toothpaste. Care should be taken to ensure that the toothpaste does not contain any abrasive material.

The cleaning can be done quickly and without much effort by means of dentist tablets. The tabs ensure a very gentle treatment. Aggressive agents, such as ammonia, should be dispensed with, the beauty of the jewelery might suffer.

If you would like to clean gold jewelery often, an ultrasound device can grow. In the small, handy device, jewelery is gently and safely cleansed and freed from all residues.

After cleaning, the gold jewelery must be carefully dried. With a soft cloth can be re-polished, the jewelry returns to its original luster. There are special polishing cloths for gold jewelery, which, with regular application, permanently prevent tarnishing.

Last edited:
Gold doesn't tarnish so you are cleaning off any dirt rather than polishing as such. Avoid abrasive polishes and cleaners as they will scratch and eventually remove the plating.

Denture cleaning tablets work very well, so does a dash of washing up liquid. I use an old synthetic shaving brush to get in all the nooks, its soft too.

Use hot water & dry thoroughly with a microfibre.

I have order some gold cleaning microfibres. To polish it up after a clean. Not too fused as for the Mrs, also good way to use those 100 dorco blades I don't like..

Last edited:
Hiya,

First thing is use zero polish because it's easy to rub the gold plate off, depending on how thick it is. Razor heads can turn from gold to silver almost immediately when using polish. Sigh, yep that's from experience.

Cleaning gold plated razors is what I am talking about here and many times it's a tough thing to get right . Hell, you can make a nickel or silver plated razor shine like crazy with a good polish, but gold is different.

An old geezer who owns a local antique store showed me the best of a bad situation for purtifying gold razors in a mild non abrasive way.

Make a thick paste/slurry of water and baking soda and rub that around using your hands. Soft toothbrush should be ok too. Mainly just work that paste firmly on all the surfaces. Won't make it look new but won't hurt it either.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom