Cleaning a brush

because of my new found love of synthetics as soon as I've got the privileges I'll be looking to trade my cherry wood SOC.

Is there a method to get them nice, clean and sanatised prior to sale? Esp if it's not been used for a while and stored? I suppose I have the same question for synthetics.

Thanks

because of my new found love of synthetics as soon as I've got the privileges I'll be looking to trade my cherry wood SOC.

Is there a method to get them nice, clean and sanatised prior to sale? Esp if it's not been used for a while and stored? I suppose I have the same question for synthetics.

Thanks
A soak in a water and White vinigar solution will break up any soap scum and once done rinse and lather up with your shave soap and rinse again. ( 50/50 solution of vinigar to water soak for 30 min)

A soak in a water and White vinigar solution will break up any soap scum and once done rinse and lather up with your shave soap and rinse again. ( 50/50 solution of vinigar to water soak for 30 min)
When you do this soak is it in a hot water/vinegar solution and do you fully immerse the brush to include the knot? Is this also a good way to do the badgers? Also, I've seen recommendations to occasionally comb through a badger brush ... do you also do this on a boar?

Many Thanks, Micheal

It seems to me that vinegar is good, but you could probably also use a shampoo/conditioner. The shampoos are made up of polypeptide chains which have a water-grasping end and a grease/dirt/soap-grasping end. Just like your hair, the shampoo molecules will grab the crap on the brush and grab onto water to take the crap down the sink. Conditioner to keep the badger hair in good condition. You don't have to worry about bacteria as there aren't many bacterium that can live in the open environment for longer than a few hours.

When you do this soak is it in a hot water/vinegar solution and do you fully immerse the brush to include the knot? Is this also a good way to do the badgers? Also, I've seen recommendations to occasionally comb through a badger brush ... do you also do this on a boar?

Many Thanks, Micheal
No it does not need to be hot water / vinegar , no need to have the handle in the solution just the knot, yes you can comb both badger and boar carefully, solution works to clean both badger and boar

I use baby shampoo to clean my brushes from time to time. A lot of shampoos and conditioners for adults got silicones. With most of the products for babies you are on the safe side not to ruin your knots.
So, are you saying I should treat my brushes like I treat babies ;) . I'll give that a try, thanks. Oh, is that Clare Bow next to last on the right?

Micheal

Back
Top Bottom