Cigarette lighters

Do you carry one?

As I'm trying to move more and more away from disposable items and instead buy re-usable quality items that will last a long time I've been looking at a number of lighter options out there.

One that really struck me was a Ronson Varaflame model that came out in the 1950's - and it was just recently that they sadly ceased production of this model.
One can pick up a vintage in great condition for around $15-20 and I personally love how it looks.
And hey, it was made in the UK so it's possible you and/or your dad might have had one of these in your pocket at one time :)

Came in a sleeew of models;

Ronson_Varaflame_Luxury_Classic_V_Cigarette_Lighters.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My Gran had one of them in a draw. Long since gone. She died in my teens and the house was just emptied and junked. I remember it clearly. It was never used and no fuel in it. For me it was a space ship and played with it as a kid. A different time.

I gave up smoking years ago, but still have my Varaflame, Cartier and Dunhill lighters, plus racks of pipes, and all the other paraphernalia.

I can't bear to get rid of them, on top of which "Smokingana", especially lighters, now fetch almost nothing.

It's likely that a lot of gas lighters won't in future be usable, simply because the refills will no longer be available.

There are many beautiful and fascinating lighters about - for collectors.
However, before you buy a classic lighter for daily use, first verify if there is somewhere where they can be serviced and if spares are still available.
Other than that you cannot go wrong with a Zippo, and if you let it burn for a second or two after ignition you will avoid imparting any fuel smell to the tobacco.

Passionate anti smoker - but as a former smoker I have half a dozen Zippos. Lovely workmanship, reliable and always look good

I gave my couple of Zippos away when I gave up, by which time they'd had so much use that the hinges had got wobbly and out of line through wear. Great lighters, and I seem to remember there was a range of trick ways of striking them.

Got a zippo but I dont use it often enough which means when I do try and use it, the fluid has evaporated. For that reason I use a clipper, which is cheap as chips and can be refilled.

Clippers are refillable...

I love the styling of the Ronson's, I used to have one years ago. Crap in the wind though.

I used to smoke rollies and pipes...ahem in some odd places, like belay ledges and mountain tops and such so windproof is handy.

Zippo's are ok but have their drawbacks, the hinge being the main mechanical one. You can send it back for repair but they just send you a new case rather than repair your much loved battered one's hinge (in my experience). Fuel evaporates quite quickly and whilst they light and burn in the wind they can trim your eyebrows let alone your moustache and beard! Need a pipe specific one. They are big, heavy and occasionally leak or turn into a fireball when overfilled.

The Trench lighter (except for see below) things always failed for me. too much faff and moving parts and bits of wire, no good for pipes.

Pocket bunsen burner things? use a lot of gas, can't always see the flame not good for short rollies! not as windproof as you think, not good for pipes. They do come in seriously expensive expedition versions and I can't comment on them.

For the last few years of smoking I used an IMCO triplex(?). Easy to light, lighter than a Zippo about as good in the wind but the flame is more controlled. Fuel lasts longer and you can use it as a candle in a push by removing the tank and wick from the housing - which also works as a non-windproof pipe lighter.

Back
Top Bottom