Changing Shave Routine and Acne

I'm over 40 years old and am just about to try DE shaving. My daily routine has been born out of necessity/efficiency and involves shaving in the shower (with a cartridge razor) currently.

I usually shave first and then wash my face with a particular Dove facewash (deep clean or something) which seems to be the only thing which stops me getting acne (at 40 years old). As I've read a lot of people's routines seem to be to wash the face first before shaving, I tried changing the order with my cartridge razor yesterday so I washed my face first, then shaved. I had a breakout of 2 awful deep painful spots, and I'm concerned once I start using a new shave cream (rather than canned gel), and mess with the order, apply after shave products, etc., etc. I'm going to have a hard time of it. I'd rather have a bad shave than a face full of spots.

Has anybody any advice on the approach to minimising these sorts of problems? Are there minimalist no-nonsense products out there I should try first? Does it matter if I skip the aftershave arena completely?

Hello there..my only advice is.

1. Use a sharp blade - a blunt one may aggravate the acne
2. Don't use a multi-blade cartridge.
3. Stick with one pass - going with the grain..until you see a improvement, to the acne.
4. Shave around pimples if possible
5. Pat your skin dry; don't rub
6. Avoid alcohol-based aftershaves at all costs..A cold water rinse, if you have a BodyCare store in your area, buy a tube of "Aloe Vera Gel", and use it as a post shave, you only need a small amount, and it only costs one pound a tube..wonderful stuff. Superdrug also do it, it's alot more expensive though, it'll dramatically help to stop irritation to your skin & hopefully to calm the aggravation to the acne..I hope this helps.Regards. B:)

Last edited:
Very good advice above.
You haven't mentioned which DE razor you intend using. I would recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's known to be on the mild side, but when paired with a good blade such as Astra SP it is very efficient.
Body Shop Maca Root Shaving Cream could well suit your skin. It's a very good performing cream too, especially for the price. A tub would last for ages.
Body Shop also sell synthetic shaving brushes for around £8.
With some Astra blades and Aloe Vera gel you could be up and running for less than £45.

Thanks both, will take this advice on board.

You haven't mentioned which DE razor you intend using. I would recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's known to be on the mild side, but when paired with a good blade such as Astra SP it is very efficient.

Yes it's a DE89 I have coming along with a sample pack of blades with some Astra SPs in there so I'll start there, thanks for the advice.

Good advice above. I suffered for 30 odd years with ingrowns, rash, and spots on neck through using carts. within a week of using a de89 i was free from any symptoms. Still had to suffer from hot face due to pressing too hard. but that was cured with practice. it was the multi blade carts that were causing my issues. you have made the right choice. Enjoy your shaves for the rest of your life. :)

Last edited:
I get psoriasis and a few skin issues. You may not have problems. When I used a cartridge for a while I would shower after shaving, but that doesn't work for me with a safety razor or a straight.

In addition to the excellent advice above I would suggest:

Use a cream not a soap or stick - I suggest TOBS to start
Get a good soft synthetic brush - Razorock are nice
One thing to try that works for me is to finish the shave with a hot flannel held to the face to clean out the pores followed by a cold flannel held to the face to close them. This should ensure that you remove soap like you are with your current routine.

Very good advice above.
Body Shop Maca Root Shaving Cream could well suit your skin. It's a very good performing cream too, especially for the price. A tub would last for ages.
Body Shop also sell synthetic shaving brushes for around £8.
With some Astra blades and Aloe Vera gel you could be up and running for less than £45.
Agree with all these recommendations.

I have really bad issues with acne and used to develop really large spots that took weeks to go. I eventually went back to the doctors about it (I used to have terrible acne in my teens and was on alsorts) and was prescribed lymecycline. It took about a month or so to work but it had cleared me right up, I very rarely get sports now.

I wash before shaving with Glyce soap or Simple spotless skin triple action face wash. They are both great for my skin.

I avoid shaving over the areas with acne and use cold water. I only use a blade once or twice and use only synthetic brushes. I found a badger really irritated my skin but a synthetic is much softer and less likely to break the skin over spots.

The type of soap you use can make a difference. I had success with palmolive stick, but now I use any.

I know people say do not use alcohol based aftershaves, but I found I found that to make no difference. Some alcohol splashes caused issues and some balms did too.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Wilkinson Classic. Razors are subjective like anything so your millage may vary.

One thing I found really helps is shaving often and little. So a one or two pass daily rather than letting any real growth start. The longer the hair the more I find it tugs and more likely to cut me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm.

Seems that you need to have your face utterly spotless and product free to avoid acne (which is what using soap last thing in a shower is doing). That tells me that your skin is very sensitive to any residue what so ever, hense The lubra strip on the cartridge razor may have triggered you.

You know your skin better than anyone but I suggest this:

1. Change your soap. Use a (real) Marseilles or something equally pure and honest. Dove isn't soap (apparently).
2. Forget the shaving in the shower until you have the DE shaving dialled in. It is a bit of a learning curve and you need some time and space.

3. Use soap first. The difference to the skin and stubble a clean with soap makes is astounding (try it) A clean pre-shave face really brings out the whiskers.

4. Use the best shaving soap you can afford and choose one which is known to be kind to skin. TOBS do a sensitive skin cream (Jerimyn?)

5. Try cold shaving (seriously, it is good for sensitive skin.)

6. Don't use a post shave balm at first (remember how your skin likes to be clean).

7. Use a Bar soap again post shave to clean the skin properly (like you do at the moment)

8. Try finishing with a good witch hazel to tone the skin. I don't know about alcohol free versions as a bit of alcohol may or may not be a bonus.

9. Don't use any aftershave on your shaven skin.

This way, your skin is left as clean as it normally is and your shave is as gentle as it can be.

Oh, get a blade sample pack. If there is one variable in DE shaving that can make or break the experience, it is Blades. Astra's can be rough.

Best of luck!

+1 on cold water shaving. The important thing is that nobody is right or wrong. You need to try and see what's right for you. For instance, I prefer a stiff thick lather on my first pass and a slightly thinner one on subsequent passes. Don't be put off by bad shaves when starting out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wash before shaving with Glyce soap or Simple spotless skin triple action face wash. They are both great for my skin.

Thanks for this tip. I picked up some Simple spotless face wash and use it at night - still using my dove deep clean during my shower as I like the light exfoliation it brings, but somewhere amongst the changes of using Simple and switching to DE shaving my skin is already improving (5 days), in so much as people have commented.

I can't believe it's taken me so long to find DE shaving.

Most creams/soaps shouldn't aggravate acne but you'll only find that out when you come around to using them. If you're washing your face afterwards you won't be harbouring any of the 'residue' left over from using the cream/soap - the stuff that anyone else might find nourishing/too oily/good/bad etc.
Bear in mind that just because you're looking to use something other than a cartridge you don't necessarily need to use an aftershave/balm/alum/et al! They're all pretty optional and, if you're concerned they'll affect your acne negatively, then no harm in not using them. :) I cope pretty well with both alcohol splashes and thick, creamy balms. Most would tend towards one or the other, a select few would go for neither!
Let us know how you're getting on either way, and we'll be sure to advise from there, too!

Back
Top Bottom