Cartridge razor advice needed

Hello all.

I'm not ready to use a de razor quite yet.

Can someone recommend a cartridge razor for a close comfortable shave please.

Thank you.

Burn the heretic! :eek:

Seriously fella. If you've just started shaving, you can do yourself a real favour, save a load of time, discomfort and money (OK, the last one is debatable) by getting a mild DE razor (Muhle R89) a non-aggressive blade like a Personna and just getting stuck in.

More detailed advice will undoubtedly follow.

Last edited:
I think your problem may be that today's cartridge razors have too many blades. The more blades .....the more irritation and discomfort. If you have to use a cartridge try an older generation system with fewer blades. I am assuming you will use a soap or cream as gels or foams just do not give the protection you seem to require. If you want to dip your toes into DE shaving...try a Wilkinson sword classic. Its very mild and easy to start with....and will cost less than a pack of cartridges!

Do what you are happy with......but rest assured you will get lots of advice and help if you ask. The Wilkinson sword classic is really mild. Might not be perfect at the start.....that would improve as you get more confidence....but it would be less aggressive than a multi blade cartridge. At the end of the day.....use what you feel most comfortable with. the fact that you are here means that you want a better shave and the gents/ladies here will help you in whatever way they can

You'll have to search online, but Gillette Guard and the Bic Metal are very good single blade cartridge/disposable razors.

Don't forget that proper preparation and soap/cream is half the job done. Don't just look at the razor.

Why not try an 89 razor, some personna blades, a decent cheap brush (maybe a synthetic) and some cream. I think boots had an offer on a brush/cream set from real shaving company recently.

Hi olrest, good to meet you. In your position I'd see what is out there in the cart line with a firm handle and twin blades. Bit like the old twin blade Sensors. I say a firm handle because the plastic handles can flex a bit and may increase pressure which you'll get away with on a cart, but not if you move on ( as I hope you may ) to a conventional DE. light touch, try to work out which way(s) your stubble grows and go with the grain as much as you can.
Keep in touch with us and don't be a stranger.

JohnnyO. o/

You can get a close comfortable shave from almost anything with a blade and you can cut yourself with anything with a blade - the only way to make sure not to cut yourself is to grow a beard.
To get a close, comfortable shave you need
  • Preparation. This is the most important bit by far. Use a proper soap or cream and a (cheap synthetic) brush. Do not use goo from a can (with a few exceptions for the more advanced shaver). Make sure the stubble is well hydrated and softened. Ignoring this will give you an uncomfortable shave with any razor.
  • Correct angle - this is easiest with cartridge razors, but not difficult with others.
  • NO PRESSURE. Do not shove the razor into your skin, let it glide. Cartridge razors might need a TINY bit of pressure to engage the swivel head - still less than you'd think.
  • Learn the growth of your stubble and shave "with the grain" first. This is the difficult bit because you need to take time to figure it out and it is tempting to go "against the grain" early on. Resist.
  • Time - don't rush your shaves.
Recommendations:
  • Grow a beard
  • Get a cheap synthetic brush (under a tenner)
  • Get a cheap, but good cream (well under a fiver) - leave hard soaps for later.
  • Use a mild and cheap DE razor. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is cheap as chips.
  • Get a Gillette Guard cartridge razor off ebay - cheaper than chips.
  • The Gillette Fusion Flexball is a great razor, but cartridges are expensive and shaves are boring.
  • Enjoy your journey. Any problems - ask.

Last edited:
Tesco's own brand triple blade razor's not bad as cartridges go and a lot cheaper than a Gillette. It's a rebranded Personna and they make good blades.

I too got more cuts with a cartridge than when I started with a DE, probably down to excess pressure. I found that with a DE I could use a very light touch which made it more comfortable and it didn't clog.

Can you tell me more about the Gillette Guard please.
The Gillette Guard was developed for the Indian market. It's a single blade cartridge razor.
Allegedly men in India are afraid of cutting themselves, so it's a very safe razor.
It is made from plastic and extremely light (a mere 9g) which may be a bit light for some, but I like it.
As it is exclusively made for the Indian market you can't officialy buy it in the UK, but you can get it on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=gillette+guard+razor
In the olden days it was only available from sellers in India, but there are now plenty of UK based sellers.
Under £3 delivered for a razor and 7 cartridges - cheaper than chips. (Cheaper than chips are Gordon Ramsay's "Plane Food" restaurant at Heathrow Terminal 5 at least... and those were rubbish chips)
The Gillette Guard is a good razor. Don't expect exciting shaves or a well crafted tool for that kind of money though - it's as boring as they get. So boring in fact, that it is one of the few of my razors I haven't photographed yet. :p:

Back
Top Bottom