Calling all Gillette Hounds (Gillette New Improved Standard??)

I picked this up today at an antiques fair. I think it's a Gillette New Improved Standard model. It looks as if it was once fully finished in gold but most is gone apart from at the central handle barrel part. Everything points to it being the New Standard even the case but I have bought vintage Gillette with unmatching cases before. The only thing that doesn't match up to the examples on the Mr Razor website is the pattern on the tightening knob. It doesn't have the straight lined border pattern between the full and half diamond pattern on it.
Any info would be appreciated.
fa7d70bfc1803194c08515547d03b04f.jpg
61544aecaaafeb4f12a6ac6958935deb.jpg
322f2f8099230ee5f9d0b16bedb2fe3e.jpg
7aa1554ac80da90fb47ad0ba2f3829a3.jpg
abe5aff841c81c445bc07abf697cee8c.jpg
45e7e8e0044362d68540d29cf7fb28b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's an early example of the NEW Improved razor, produce only the first year for some time.
That's a matching set, silver plated and made 1921 - you only need the blade bank to be complete.
Someone said to me the serial number on the base dated it to 1921. Thanks for the info, no blade holder unfortunately,

As far as I can see there is just one tooth bent but it's the last on the comb and I don't see it causing any issues to be honest. I'd rather leave it than snap it off trying to manipulate it back into position.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You are right and I wouldn't risk breaking it off either. In this case it really is a very minor flaw. Online I often see razors in nice condition but with bent teeth and I often wondered if there is a way to fix these.

You are right and I wouldn't risk breaking it off either. In this case it really is a very minor flaw. Online I often see razors in nice condition but with bent teeth and I often wondered if there is a way to fix these.
I'm sure if I could apply minor heat to it without damaging the finish further I could possibly move it back into place but it's so minor and the possibility to cause maore damage is probably quite high.

Back
Top Bottom