Buying from the U S of A?

I'm deliberating making a purchase from Maggard Razors. They've got some goods on there which I like the look of (totalling not more than $21, before shipping which is entirely reasonable also) and after shipping works out at circa £18.

The question I have is, has anyone bought from Maggard to the UK before? Is there a 'best route' to take for this sort of transaction (I'm thinking declaring the goods as less expensive to attempt to avoid VAT and Import Duty) or mark as a gift for the same reason?

If it's too much hassle I might knock it on the head, but thought it worthwhile to ask you knowledgeable folk first! :)

Diolch!

Ive ordered soaps and took around two weeks. No extra custom charges or anything.
However, i have ordered from italianbarber and i paid an extra £12 customs when it arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive ordered soaps and took around two weeks. No extra custom charges or anything.
However, i have ordered from italianbarber and i paid an extra £12 customs when it arrived.

Do you mind divulging the cost of the items ordered? I'd understand if you'd want to keep that info to yourself, of course! :)

Do you mind divulging the cost of the items ordered? I'd understand if you'd want to keep that info to yourself, of course! :)

From Maggard i ordered two soaps and it arrived with no extra charge.

But italianbarber i only got a razorock brush which was super cheap but with the extra £12 customs charge plus delivery, i could have got it here in the uk.

I am wanting to place an order with blackland razors but also worried i get hit with a hefty customs charge.

You are largely dependent on what the merchant lists on the customs label as to whether you pick up a VAT charge along with the RM handling fee. This is not something you control.

Some merchants, including the one initially listed in my experience, play ball. Others don't

Non Latin alphabets on the customs label are another potentially good method of avoiding any charges

@Aaron1983 that's great, thanks for taking the time to respond, sir!

@SeanC I've noticed that with ordering from China. It's smattered in Chinese script and I've never had a customs charge...

I might get in touch with Maggards and see what they can offer in terms of 'playing ball', or advice they can give for ordering to the UK.

Thanks again, folks!

Okay slight, very quick, edit. Chatting with someone in Maggard Razors, they have stated that all international orders they value at $15.95 so as to avoid import taxes. I have read elsewhere that there's a $16 threshold, or maybe £16 threshold, below which HMRC tend to avoid investigating.

I believe that there's some awkwardness associated with labelling as a gift as if HMRC decide it looks worth more than $16, they'll charge VAT as such anyway. I don't know how true this is but I've seen this being stated/discussed.

Okay slight, very quick, edit. Chatting with someone in Maggard Razors, they have stated that all international orders they value at $15.95 so as to avoid import taxes. I have read elsewhere that there's a $16 threshold, or maybe £16 threshold, below which HMRC tend to avoid investigating.

I believe that there's some awkwardness associated with labelling as a gift as if HMRC decide it looks worth more than $16, they'll charge VAT as such anyway. I don't know how true this is but I've seen this being stated/discussed.

Sounds about right.

I have ordered from Maggard Razors 3 times within the last 2 months and with each of those orders as rightly stated by Benz3ne they have listed the items as shaving supplies at $15.95. My first order came up to £43, 2nd order was £23 and the last order was for £28. There is no tracking number supplied for shipping and you will typically receive the items ordered within 10 days which is not bad for standard shipping from the US. Maggard Razors customer service is on point, and are very helpful, with constant updates on your order. So you should be good to order.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You pay VAT on goods if they are
  • gifts worth more than £39
  • other goods worth more than £15
  • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

To qualify as gifts, goods must be:
  • described as gifts on the customs declaration
  • for a birthday, anniversary or other occasion
  • bought and sent between individuals (not companies)
  • intended for personal use

VAT is charged on the total value, including:
  • the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
  • any duty you owe

You can ignore duty unless you buy a razor for more than £250...

I am not a lawyer or accountant.

The razor I'm considering can be bought here, usually on eBay, but they tend to be around the £40 mark. If duty and vat is ignored with a purchase from the states, it works out at almost double the cost spent.

Best way is if like me you have an American friend. I've had things shipped to her and collected while on holiday. She sends us gifts at Christmas never anything over the allowances though.

I think most USA companies are savvy to importing. I had one who didn't mark it as anything which went under the radar. Also had one that was a little under on their estimated value.

Thanks @wayne mattison! I'll probably put the feelers out over here and see whether anything comes back. If that fails I might be able to rely on my sister-in-law's brother (who has recently moved out to the States with his newly-wed) and see whether it's feasible for them to organise something. Otherwise, I'll take the plunge as they're selling for £40 on eBay UK and I don't think it comes to quite that if customs charges are applied for the razor head and handle I'm considering...

Thanks @wayne mattison! I'll probably put the feelers out over here and see whether anything comes back. If that fails I might be able to rely on my sister-in-law's brother (who has recently moved out to the States with his newly-wed) and see whether it's feasible for them to organise something. Otherwise, I'll take the plunge as they're selling for £40 on eBay UK and I don't think it comes to quite that if customs charges are applied for the razor head and handle I'm considering...

Wouldn't he be your brother-in-law ? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom