Brush repair

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
My Trational Shaving Co badger brush has decided to part ways and I now have a Traditional Shaving Co handle and a Traditional Shaving Co knot.

Shame as I was just starting to enjoy this rarely used brush of mine after being a long term synthetic user.

Do I take it this is nothing a decent 2 part resin based adhesive can't make good again?

My Trational Shaving Co badger brush has decided to part ways and I now have a Traditional Shaving Co handle and a Traditional Shaving Co knot.

Shame as I was just starting to enjoy this rarely used brush of mine after being a long term synthetic user.

Do I take it this is nothing a decent 2 part resin based adhesive can't make good again?
Yes it should glue easily. I used a standard two part epoxy for my knots and it has worked well. Easily achievable just don't use too much.

Araldite is perfect, give the inside bore of the brush a light sanding to give it a bit of a key.

Wash both sides using a squirt of dish soap to de-grease & let the two parts dry completely before you glue them, give them a huff with a hair dryer to be 100% & it warms the parts a little.

The trick with 2-part epoxy is to leave it to set & as Wayne has said be sparing. If you look at the data sheet for 'rapid' setting epoxy, it can be handled after 5-15mins, however that is typically less than 10% of the joint strength. Even rapid setting adhesives take 8-12 hours to harden completely (3 hours & its ~70%). So, leave overnight before you inspect your work & leave it for a good day before you use it. A job, jobbed.

Job done and very happy bunnyism being experienced here.

I really do love my Muhle synthetic but finding a natural brush holds all the scent of lathers past in a most wonderful way. The smell alone is a delight

Back
Top Bottom